Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Cannondale Prophet MX Question
  • walowiz

I have a Prophet MX frame – bought from STW, which I’m re-painting and I’d like to replace the rear shock and cannot find the spec I need to get, any of the STW guru’s know ?

Also can I confirm that the rear wheel is a 135 x 12 bolt through ?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

200x50mm shock
    135x12mm rear end

Simon

200×50 shock
    Tune of the Fox Float on my ’09 normal Prophet is medium rebound and medium compression.

nastybuller
    Free Member

Hi bud I’d like to consider myself an expert in the ways of the prophet mx. Yes the rear wheel is 12mm x 135mm.
    The official rear shock size is 200mm x 50mm however I think the bike runs better with other rear shock sizes…

If you get a 195mm x 50mm shock you’ll slacken the bike by a few degrees.
    If you get a 200mm x 57mm shock you’ll add some extra travel to the rear end but your rear tyre will buzz the seat tube when you bottom out if you are in ‘fr’ mode. It won’t buzz in xc mode but your head tube angle will be steeper in xc mode which isn’t ideal. To remedy this is bought a works components -2 degree headset and ran a 200mm x 57mm shock in xc mode which is basically the same as running the bike in fr mode with a 200mm x 50mm shock.
    Make sure whatever headset you buy has an external bottom cup or your fork dials will hit your frame if you crash and spin your bars.
    You can also run the prophet with 650b wheels and it’s supposed to be mint but if you follow my 200 x 57 shock idea you’ll have to leave it in xc mode.

I hope all this makes sense to you. It makes perfect sense to me

el_boufador

One thing to be careful of is the compression damping. It’s a falling rate design so you need a shock with a high level of compression damping or it’ll blow through its travel.

And yes 200×50 (XC or FR modes) or 190×50 (XC mode only- equivalent to FR)

Great bikes, BTW

el_boufador

oh yeah and a standard volume air can – no high volume (again to do with the falling rate)

nastybuller
    Free Member

Yeah they are great bikes. I kinda wish I handnt sold mine because it was a belter. Since my prophet I’ve owned a Capra, nomad mk3 and yeti sb6c. Although they all climb and accelerate far better than my prophet mx I still maintain to this day that the most fun I ever had on a bike was on my prophet mx. Unbelievably capable and way ahead of its time

Simon

Yes, great bikes. I retired mine 3 years ago but it’s still hanging up in my cellar as I couldn’t bring myself to sell it.

walowiz

Wow thanks chaps.

Didn’t realise it could run on 27.5” wheels, is there any limitation to tyre widths with 27.5 rims ?

So if I get this straight – I can run (at least) two different shock sizes, I’m interested in 200×50 and 200×57, what is the benefit of opting for a 57 stroke shock ?

And the falling rate thing – I had to google that – thanks.

So I’m looking to get a coil shock – any advice on what model coil shock I could get that would suit the Proph MX in XC mode ?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Cannondale Prophet MX Question’ is closed to new replies.