Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Can I use a SLX 12 speed mech with a GX eagle shifter and cassette?
  • ogden

As above, can I use a SLX 12 speed mech with a GX eagle shifter and cassette? I’m sure I’ve read bits and bobs about it but has anyone done it?

Basically my GX mech is fubar and I don’t really want to spend £88 again.

Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber

Need a matching shifter.

Hob Nob

Need a matching shifter

No you don’t.

Went from an XTR shifter and mech on an XX1 Eagle cassette to an X01 shifter & kept the XTR mech as I really dislike Shimano shifters.

Still works fine.

Onzadog

There’s a chap on YouTube called LoveMTB. I believe he’s done it and has a video of it. It will never be as good as a fully branded system, but it looks to be functional enough to allow a slow migration from one to the other.

ogden

No you don’t.

Went from an XTR shifter and mech on an XX1 Eagle cassette to an X01 shifter & kept the XTR mech as I really dislike Shimano shifters.

Still works fine.

Brill! was there any noticeable difference?

Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber

Still works fine.

Lots of people have got excited because it ‘works’, but it’s sub-par. It’s ‘fine’.

ogden

There’s a chap on YouTube called LoveMTB. I believe he’s done it and has a video of it. It will never be as good as a fully branded system, but it looks to be functional enough to allow a slow migration from one to the other.

Cheers, just found a video he’s done confirming it all works well!

Hob Nob

Lots of people have got excited because it ‘works’, but it’s sub-par. It’s ‘fine’

I’ll clarify, for the sake of any ambiguity.

I press the shifter, it goes up, I press the shifter, it goes down. It’s not lazy, or noisy, it shifts first time, every time.

Does it shift as well as my full XX1 eagle setup? Yes. Clutch is better (so far) on the rear mech though.

Does it shift as well as full XTR set up? Don’t know, don’t care. I really dislike Shimano shifters, and I won’t switch to a cassette that’s got far too much aluminium in it when XX1 cassettes last forever, so I’ll never find out.

Clearly im not anal enough to measure the milliseconds difference in shifting performance between 2 high end systems.

ogden

Cheers! I’ve ordered an SLX mech from Mantel, I just hope it turns up with everything going on.

boxxer7

Just bought an XT mech couple of weeks back. Gx shifter and it Work’s absolutely fine no problems at all.

Given up with sram eagle mechs they just seem to stop working for no apparent reason.

Premier Icon vincienup
    Subscriber

I’ve done this sort of thing before when people on the Internet have written about non standard combos of shifter and mech.

My honest view? Different people have different standards they call ‘acceptable’. By all means stick a Shimano cassette on SRAM shifting or t’other way round and you’ll never know the difference if the limits are set properly. Mixing trigger pod and mech is more iffy though, and what one rider thinks is fine will have another forever cursing the poor shifts.

There’s totally no pride or shame whichever camp you’re in, but it’s worth knowing (unless you have all the bits already and just want to find out for yourself!)

ogden

Well, I’ve ordered one now, @vincienup. Looks to work well here though.

Premier Icon Sir HC
    Subscriber

Another #ShEagle user.

-Bolted straight on, shifts perfectly
    -Clutch works, bike is quieter.

Was getting around 6 months out of an eagle mech before the clutch gave up, jockey wheels would go for 3 months before having too much play in to keep the shifting crisp. Bought a mech from Evans and had it warrantied twice!!

IMO, Sram quality isn’t what it used to be, the 11 speed stuff was really good. 12 speed, the mechs are fragile for those of us that ride a lot.

When the drivetrains start to die, will be doing swapping them over to XTR/XT mixes. Shimano maybe late to the party, but they bring a better product.

Rockshox on the other hand are doing very well.

LS

For anyone in any doubt, this doesn’t work ‘fine’, or ‘acceptably’, it works absolutely perfectly. All the way across the cassette the shifts are spot-on, even under full power.
    I had a GX mech explode last July and stuck a 12spd XT on as a replacement with GX shifter. It works just as well as the XT/XTR setup on my other bike and if you like the feel of the SRAM shifters, it’s arguably better.

Based on previous comments I presume that if, as a cheapskate, I replaced my SX RD with an XT 12 RD but retained, in the short term, the SX shifter then it should work as well?

Actually my SX hasn’t broken yet but I’m not impressed by its shifting quality.

ogden

I fitted my SLX M7100 mech today, I’m running it with an XO1 Chain and GX Cassette and Shifter. This set up work absolutely perfect! TBH I prefer the feel of it to the GX mech when it worked!

Cheers guys.

Premier Icon 1timmy1
    Subscriber

This is good news for me, my GX Eagle mech just died on my easy short ride yesterday (second one to die). I might order a SLX or XT mech to use with my GX cassette and shifter.

Premier Icon 1timmy1
    Subscriber

What’s the difference between the slx and xt rear mech (apart from the slight weight saving and price)?

ogden

What’s the difference between the slx and xt rear mech (apart from the slight weight saving and price)?

Not sure but I couldn’t justify anything more than SLX! 30g more than the GX it replaces but £35 cheaper.

Merlin were the best price but were sold out of SLX, so I ended up ordering from Mantel in the Netherlands and it came in 3 days. I think Merlin had XT in stock though.

cymohndee

The XT has bearings in the jockey wheels, the SLX has bushings. In theory the bearings should have a little less friction and will last longer but we all know bearings don’t like mud and water…I think in the real world it’s just swings and roundabouts between them.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.