Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Campaigners Hope To Save Wyllie Bike Trails, Wales
  • stwhannah

In a good illustration of how ‘we’ve always ridden there’ doesn’t mean ‘we’ve got the right to ride there’, campaigners are hoping to save Wyllie Bike …

By stwhannah

Get the full story here:

Campaigners Hope To Save Wyllie Bike Trails, Wales

radbikebro

Thanks for sharing! These are some of my local trails and to have no access would suck

robingrant

The guys at Wyllie are asking everyone – whether you’ve ridden their trails, want to ride their trails in the future or just if you’re a nice person – to sign this petition, and then share it with all of your mates and ask them to do the same.

They need to get to 5,000 signatures in the next week, so they can show the people behind the project, and the local council who’ll be making the final decision about whether the project goes ahead, how much people care about losing access to the trails.

So, please, start signing and sharing!

ready

Never been, but it’s on my “places to visit” list.  Signed (and shared to my local biking group)  Good luck!

superfli
    Free Member

Signed and contributed. Have ridden there a number of times and is a great venue. Will be very sad to see it go – although, this is what happens

munrobiker
    Free Member

It doesn’t sound like the trails are going though – the comments from the environmental reclamation company say they’ll maintain access to the trails and consider how they cross the proposed haul road. It’ll be a big project but it’s only temporary.

molgrips
    Free Member

I shared this on my FB and my sister in law in the mid-western USA said everyone there has heard of the place!

stwhannah

@munrobiker the existing documents show that the ‘temporary’ access restriction is to last 7 years. Quite a long temporary!

gearfreak
    Free Member
    There is another chance to learn about the planned reclamation of the Bedwas Tips tonight at Bedwas Workmens Hall. Also tomorrow at Haven Hill in Cwmfelinfach.
    I went along last night an specifically asked about the haul route and how the proposal would affect access.
    I was told that;
    Access along the route will not be closed to cyclists and walkers at all.
    There will be a speed limit in place (15 mph was suggested, but not confirmed) and signage/trianing to alert drivers that the route is popular with recreational users.
    There will be no lorries using the access route on Sat/Sun although there may be work on the tips themselves on Saturdays.
    There will be no lorries using the access route after 6pm.
    Wylie ‘Bike Park’ will not be affected, but there may be need to modify trails which cross three mile climb from a safety perspective. Not close them! but to alter how the intersections work.
    There may be an opportunity to work with the developers on the development of new bike trails on the land which is currently filled with the tips. (IE building some runs down towards Bedwas.) – If you would like to be part of a group who engage with the developers on this opportunity please DM me.
    So overall, while I know this will cause some disruption, it appears to be less disruptive than logging operations which have taken place recently.
    Do I take all these answers on trust – no, and I will be scrutinising the actual planning application when submitted and responding to it appropriately.
    If you have concerns, please go along to the public meeting and make sure they are heard – the more people who make the effort to go along and speak to the developers the more likely they are to make specific provision to allay our fears and to minimise disruption to access.
    radbikebro

Thanks gearfreak, that’s really good to know – I did think it’ll be less disruptive than logging just based on how it is – main access route vs being on the trails, but knowing that they aren’t closing it for cyclists and walkers is a bit of a relief.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.