Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Buying without a test ride, what's your biggest spend? Any regrets or errors?
  • rockhopper70

The title sounds rather nosey, but isn’t meant to be.
    I’m virtual shopping for the new year and recently started a post on a carbon Cannondale that appears great value and gets fairly good reviews.
    Trouble is, I don’t think a demo is on the cards anytime soon and these might sell out at the reduced price.
    Then other bikes come to mind, the 29r Jeffsy, but that fleet has been pinched!
    Then another thread mentioned those transition bikes on offer at Sunset, bit of a curveball and unlikely to be demo’able.
    I’d also had my eye on the Whyte s150 and there is a demo fleet for them at Chevin Cycles so that’s a possible.
    But, in the absence of demoing everything, am I likely to regret my decision.
    It’s an awful lot of money to lump in something even without seeing one, never mind riding it.
    Reviews and forums can take you so far, but it’s a punt I’m a bit shaky with.
    For reference, my current bike, a 2004 Cannondale, was bought “blind” and I’ve not regretted it.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Very rarely get to test ride a bike before I buy. I would if I could but I can’t.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I demo’d a Fiveling Cabinet & made my mind up there was no point trying owt else, & bought one.

So just one test ride for me.

stewartc
    Free Member

Live in HK where there is usually zero chance of getting a demo ride unless you happen to know someone with a bike that your are interested in, and in your size, so buying blind is par of the course.
    Tend to look at reviews when I decide on a new bike or component but try to wait at least 6 months after product launch so you get past the usually fantastic launch reviews and then start getting real reviews by actual owners.
    Sites like this and other are a godsend to simply ask real owners and TBH most bikes are pretty good these days, I would say your biggest concern is fit and is it suitable for your day to day riding.
    For reference I usually get a new bike every 12-18 months, in the 6k price range.

greavo

I paid an eye watering amount for a Mondraker Foxy Carbon without a demo. No regrets. Love it.

I do change the contact points on my bikes so they’re all the same so they all have the same bars, saddles, grips and brake levers. Spendy but that helps me.

Northwind

I’ve only managed a test ride on 2 of the bikes I’ve owned and it’s alwatys worked out really, it’s just not always as well as others. Like, my 26er scandal definitely served a purpose, in the end it wasn’t right for me but I learned a lot from that. My Ellsworth was totally shit but it was also dirt cheap and a testride was impossible. My SX Trail wasn’t much good either but I split it and sold it for a profit soooo. Basically I quite like trying new things so even one that doesn’t work out is usually fine

And the other thing is, test rides don’t always help- some bikes shine on a test ride then never get better, some need some work to get the best out of. I’d’ve probably not bought my Hemlock if I’d testridden it but once I’d got it how I liked it was #1 bike for years and couldn’t have done better. I got my Remedy 29 on the strength of a testride but now it’s very different and tbh the thing that made me choose it is more or less gone. But other stuff has made it better

I suppose the real failure was my Last Herb DH. I lusted after one of these for so long, ever since it was in the Dirt 100. CRC got some end of year stock so I jumped on it but in the end it was a pure race bike and I wanted something to have fun on. I was faster on it than any other bike I’ve had but I replaced it with a 224 Evo that I was like 30 seconds slower down fort william on, but had way more fun. So it wasn’t so much the expense, as the missed opportunity, I spent a year trying to make it work.

Oh and my Onza Bird, I just can’t ride the thing, 20 inch mod is not for me. But it cost nothing.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Bought approximately 10 bikes in the last ten years and never test ridden any of them. Make of that what you will.

firestarter
    Free Member

I’ve never test rode anything but I’d like to try a five just to see

chilled76
    Free Member

My two most expensive new purchases are polar opposites..

Bought a DW link Turner 5 spot, absolutely hated it. Never did work out why it felt wrong but it was promptly sold.

I think it was too short amongst other things.

Bought a yeti sb6c, I will be keeping it until it breaks or I can’t get spares. Love the thing!

scaredypants

I’ve never had a proper test ride – bimble round a car park surely can’t count, and I mostly don’t even do that

I don’t spend masses on bikes though; last few I’ve bought have been frames only and at reduced prices so I suppose it’s no big deal. I’ve also either been lucky or else I’m not very choosy as I’ve never had one that I hated

cinnamon_girl

Virtually impossible when you’re a woman!

Oh yeah, note geometry figs from existing steed and apply to any contenders. For me that means tt.

jimdubleyou

I ride a Canyon Nerve. Not silly money, but probably the most I’d spend on a bike unless I won the lotto.

TBH, I’m not the sort of rider who would know what an extra 2 degrees of whatever-angle would make so I just went off standover height for guessing the right size.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Custom built Cove, no demo fleet, no one else had one, Held an unbuilt frame of the wrong size in my hands and handed over £3500 to have one built for me, loved it.

2011 Spicy 516, Shop didn’t have any, test rode a 2010 316 which seemed great, the newer, lighter, slightly slacker bike with higher end kit should be better still eh? Wrong, I tried a few things, but it rode like a jittery teenager on 15 cans of Monster, all over the shop. Ironically when it got nicked I have to spend what little I had left on a S/h 2010 316, it was better in every way. Largely because despite the spec level, the fork was better and the wheels were better suited to a 160mm bike.

Daffy

Never test rode anything, but there have been a few that I didn’t get on with.

SC Chameleon – too hard but the geometry was spot on
    Cotic Soda – Too Long (large) Too small (medium) too flexy (All)
    Cover Hummer – for a Ti bike, it was a dead lump.
    Ti456 – front end was waay too low.
    Independent fabrication – Very nice, but twitchy on technical stuff.
    On-One Pompetamine – HEAVY and dull
    Genesis Day One (…and a Croix De Fer) Heavy and slightly less dull.
    Singular Puffin – Long, heavy, cumbersome and NOT fun.

I think only the Genesis might I have been able to test ride.

rockhopper70

I I’m not sure comparing geometry on a 2004 bike will see me right.
    I have been trying to look at what are classed as “benchmark” bikes, T130 etc, and using their angles as a guide but I’m sceptical about half a degree here and there as what matters most sometimes seems to be what is plugged into the headtube!

qtip

I’ve never test ridden any of my bikes – no regrets either. I either still have them or I’ve broken them. I don’t really see the benefit of test riding unless you haven’t got a clue what will fit you or what you want. Every bike I’ve ridden has required a period of adaptation, and I don’t think that you can get a true feel for a bike within a limited testing period. A test ride on a new bike might feel great simply because it’s close to what you already have and therefore feels more natural to ride than other options.

Even going from a 2010 Five to a 2017 version required several extended rides to feel at home on it – same basic design, largely the same components (I bought frame, forks and wheels, not full bike). However, after a few rides, and once I had the suspension tune dialled, I was much faster than on the old bike.

If you know what you want from a bike in terms of handling characteristics, geometry, sizing, etc. then you can probably gain just as good an insight from doing some research as you can from a test ride.

onandon
    Free Member

I’ve purchased all of my bikes (13 – without a test ride )
    Most expensive 7k – only one I don’t like is a synapse carbon di2 disc.

lunge

Never test rode a bike, being 6’4″ and needing XL/20″/60cm bikes means that no-one has demo bikes in the right size even if I wanted to try them.
    Thankfully I know roughly the kind of geometry I like so I can take fairly well educated guesses.

midlifecrashes

Marin B17 back in the day. Wanted a Rift Zone, so went in to Extreme and took one round the block, I had a bad back at the time and this was going to make it worse, or not get ridden. Bloke in the shop could see it too and said the downhill version is coming in next week, you’ll be all right on that. Ok, I says, put my name on one and the deal was done.

Wouldn’t spend on a new bike without at least trying something similar from the same model range these days, way too many variations in geometry and claims of magical characteristics.

scaredypants

Every bike I’ve ridden has required a period of adaptation, … However, after a few rides, …

I suppose that’s true – unless you want a bike that rides more or less exactly like your current one there’s going to have to be some adaptation to it

… you can probably gain just as good an insight from doing some research as you can from a test ride

MAy well also be true

I have had one proper test ride: I rented a Pivot switchblade for a day last summer and expected to be massively conflicted when it turned out to be something expensive that I really wanted, but it wasn’t. Felt too short and also the “super-short” chainstays seemed to allow the rear to hang up on biggish squareish lumps, even with 29″ wheels compared to my bike’s 26″. Didn’t like, though admittedly the suspension was great compared to my old tranceX.

Next year I may be going to buy some daft long thing (like a geometron) because I came to the conclusion that my current bike (and the Pivot) is too short at both ends – I do quite a bit of road riding so long stretches feel right for me and the mtbs felt cramped. Whether one of those things will actually help climbing I’ve no idea and whether a bimbler like me can ride one properly down hills is also in some doubt.

Might need an actual test for that

onehundredthidiot

Bought a specialzed rhyme for a large amount, with the ohlins and wheels it should have been twice a much. It seems a silly no try buy as it’s woman specific. But the geometry is perfect for me. Will ride until it is no longer feasible to fix or repair.

chakaping
    Free Member

But, in the absence of demoing everything, am I likely to regret my decision.

Maybe.

I didn’t used to bother with demo-ing bikes, but I’ve come round to the idea in recent years and it’s definitely helped me avoid a couple of expensive “mistakes”.

It’s also challenged my preconceptions and I’m now riding (and loving) a Mega 290 that I mainly demo-ed to fill a gap between bikes I was actually thinking of buying.

If it were me I’d take a punt on the Jeffsy, as all the owners seem to agree that they pedal well and the geometry is comparable to other bikes I’ve ridden.

i would want to demo the s150 though as my pal was almost set to buy one but wasn’t impressed with his demo ride.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve bought a few bikes without test riding, but I seem to have a different approach to some.

An off the shelf bike is a starting point. The designers know what they are doing, and have implemented a design with a certain style of bike in mind. So identify what their aim is and make sure it matches what you want. Generally that’s the ‘ooh that looks right’ test IME.

Then if it’s not quite right for some reason when you get it, you customise – stem length and height, bar position and saddle position are the key ones. I’ve never had a bike that couldn’t be properly dialled in with a few tweaks. I don’t understand the people who buy a flash bike then get rid of it soon after cos it’s not ‘quite right’. That’s the equivalent of buying a well respected car like say an RS4 and then selling it because the seat is too far from the steering wheel.

In 2007 I spent 2.5k on a 5 because 1) my bikes had all been nicked and I had an insurance payout 2) I needed an MTB pronto to keep my fitness up 3) I’d been familiar with Oranges for years and 4) the LBS with loads of stock is an Orange dealer so I knew I could walk in and wheel the bike out.

I think that having highly specific requirements for a bike is generally a bit silly. They’re all good – you just look for the good in the one you have, rather than search for what you think you want. I’m flexible, I can get the best out of most things. That’s why I don’t think I’ll ever buy a custom frame because I don’t have any particular specific requirements.

Thinking about it, the only time I shopped with specific requirements was when I got the Salsa, and the only stipulations were 29er, rack mounts and a steep HA.

mrhoppy

With the time it takes to really get to grips with suspension settings, control positions, tyres, etc a single test ride is fairly pointless imo. Add on to that you might want a bike to work on big long rocky descents and flat forest singletrack then being able to get a feel in the time you get on a demo is just unrealistic.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Guess when somebody just started with mountain biking there are chances he regrets his buy quick.

So there might be a “learning phase”…

scotroutes

No test rides for me either. In fact, I’ve had custom frames made that obviously preclude the option before try before I buy. A bit like the whole “bike fit” thing – if you have enough experience to know what you like then getting that shouldn’t be too much of a problem.

paulevans
    Free Member

A custom Parlee road bike! Had a bike fit first, but ride feel etc was all unknown.

spacemonkey

First Enduro S-Works was purchased after a 2 min spin in the seller’s back garden.

CAAD road bike purchased after rocking up to sellers’s house having done the PayPal thru EBay.

Whyte HT purchased again via EBay but posted this time.

V v happy with all of them.

slackalice
    Free Member

My PYGA 650b 120, think I probably bought the first one to arrive in the UK, it just looked and felt right.

My intuition vindicated during my first ride, fortunately.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Think I’ll demo before I buy now after a few I’ve had…

2016 Stumpjumper Comp Alloy – First full suspension bike, bought blind from Tredz. Never gelled with it and too small.

Mk1.5 Bird Aeris (frame only) – Once the honeymoon period wore off, I just didn’t seem to get on with it. It felt ok, just not amazing.

Commencal Meta AM HT 2016 (Frame + Fork) – Too tall/short. Felt mega harsh too.

2016 Stumpjumper Carbon (Frame Only) – Apparently I don’t learn my lesson…

I decided to go on a demo day. Tried an SC Tallboy 3 and a Hightower. Loved them both and couldn’t really decide which was my favourite.

Went to buy a Tallboy, but a decent price on a Hightower with a better spec ended up getting my money. Got the 27.5+ version because the price was keen and it has a longer fork.

Just need to swap the wheels for some 29″ now and I think this is the one that will be kept for the foreseeable 🙂

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

During my serial bike buying years, I rarely had any test rides and most I got on with. A couple of dogs that I didn’t like including

Turner 5-Spot, sold a heckler for it and just didn’t like it.
    Giant Glory 8 – too short and steep for me.
    Intense 6.6- steep and flexi back end
    Nicolai Helius- felt like i was perched on top of it

dragon
    Free Member

Nope never bothered, but then I tend to stick to the big-ish brands Cannondale, Trek, Focus, Specalized etc. where you know their bikes are sorted. So provided you know the size you want it’s pretty easy.

Only bike I didn’t like was Giant NRS but I think that was partly down to it being slightly too small, and it having awful flexy Manitou forks. I don’t think I’d have spotted these issues on a test ride, it took a few rides to start getting a proper feel.

SaxonRider

The only bike I ever test-rode first also happened to be the only bike that never suited me well long-term.

Instinct, and willingness to adjust until it feels good, is a better way (or at least as good a way) to shop, I reckon.

pictonroad

2016 Stumpjumper Comp Alloy – First full suspension bike, bought blind from Tredz. Never gelled with it and too small.

I never bothered with test rides. Went to pick up a medium Stumpjumper I’d reserved, most I’d ever spent on a bike by a LONG way. I’m 5’8” and sitting on it in the shop it felt SO short. Really worried me, took it round the shop ( had a 2yr old with me) way too short. Ended up with a large Camber because it was green…

After that experience I wouldn’t buy a bike without sitting on it first again. All the size charts for Specialized are way off from what I think is comfortable to ride.

Camber is mint in large though. 8)

stevedoc
    Free Member

Norco Torrent 7.2 ordered and collected on the back of the reviews. its been my go to bike for the last 2 years beyond brilliant ..well now the forks are 140mm and the tyres were changed…

And again my Whyte g160rs bought off the back i loved my old 150 ..my only regret is if i had waited 4 weeks it would have been a S150rs ..thats Whyte you kept that quiet !

giantalkali
    Free Member

Anyone who’s 5’8″ and riding a large frame is a very weird shape.

Both my bikes were built from bare frames, just do some research and be realistic about your riding style and ability. Saying that, I rode a bird auris a while back, i know people love them but that is one dead bike, I can usually manual anything, but not that heap of guff, how do you even get it off the floor?

Shame really, as I was quite fancying one.

chakaping
    Free Member

Anyone who’s 5’8″ and riding a large frame is a very weird shape.

Well I’m 5ft 8in and ride a medium AND a large with almost exactly the same geometry.

So maybe it’s the bikes that are a weird shape?

giantalkali
    Free Member

Well I’m 5ft 8in and ride a medium AND a large with almost exactly the same geometry

You short people are all so feisty

mlke
    Free Member

It takes me ages to get used to a new bike so test rides are a waste of time. I still try to have one if possible

ton

being 6ft 4” and being a ‘bear of a man’ (brant’s words) i can honestly say that i have never test ridden a bike prior to buying it. most shops do not seem to like to orfer a xl/xxl in for you to test ride.
    and through the dozens of bikes i have owned, the only one i regret buying without a test ride was a Jones Plus.
    it was bought when i was not healthy enough to ride it and do it justice. my fault, not the bikes incapability.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Buying without a test ride, what's your biggest spend? Any regrets or errors?’ is closed to new replies.