Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • bugle in tyre, water inside bugle
  • escrs
    Free Member

Had this twice now, once in a Hutchinson Fusion 5 tyre and a Schwalbe Durano plus both running tubeless

Both times the bulge has been on the tread of the tyre

Both times ive pierced the bugle with a pin and water (no sealant) has come out and the bulge disappears and tyre looks normal again (im only pirecing the top of the tread to release the water, not going right through the tyre) the amount of water is very small maybe 1ml or less

Bike is used in all weathers for commuting, just cant work out how water could get under the tread to cause a bulge

MoreCashThanDash

No one tell him/her…..😎

frankconway

I won’t if you won’t

thepurist

Not sure I’d trust it to hold air without a tuba after that.

You could try another brand of tyre – how about Company B?

frankconway

OP is trumpeting their problem.

matt_outandabout

Some brass neck to ride that.

belugabob
    Free Member

He’ll get the wake up call – any minute now…

northernmatt

This could be their last post

thenorthwind

Could be the OPs last post

Edit: gah! Beaten by seconds!

wheelsonfire1

I agree with the last post.. beaten to it!

thenorthwind

This feels like an orchestrated attack now

tomnavman
    Free Member

You guys are really stringing him along!

scotroutes

Have you tried filling it with corn. It might work.

MrSparkle

So annoying when that happens. You can end up with A Flat.

jodafett

Can you just pa-ra-ra-rum-pa-pump-pump it up?

whatgoesup

Politician interview mode on

“If what you’re asking is whether my bugle would still work when full of water then the answer is that it has the potential to follow the same principals”

<shameless Reddit copy-paste follows>

Sound is made of compression waves. The fundamental equation here is

Speed = Frequency * Wavelength

In different mediums (air, water, other gasses) the speed of wave propagation will change, so the relation between frequency and wavelength will change. In general, the denser medium, the speed of sound will change. The speed of sound in water is a bit more than 4 times faster than it is in air.

Now for instruments. There are mechanical issues with some instruments playing in different mediums. If a flute is filled with water, you would have to blow water instead of air, but the energy required would need to be greater, since the water is denser. A stringed instrument, such as a guitar, would function just fine, but the water would dampen the sound, so the note would not last very long and the string would stop vibrating after a short amount of time.

What would they sound like? Well a guitar would play the same note. See the sound is set by the properties of the string, so for a given length you get a certain frequency, based on the speed of sound in a string. So playing different notes is just altering the length (fretting.) This would not change underwater, so guitars would play the same note but sound different to us, because the damping would cause the string to stop very quickly.

A wind instrument like a flute, would change drastically (assuming you could still play it, a human probably can’t blow water the right way.) In wind instruments, the wavelength is set related to the length of the air from the mouthpiece to the holes (the length is changed by the fingering). But the wave is propagating in the air, rather than a string, so if you replaced the air with water, the frequency would change drastically. So a flute would be over 4 times higher frequency in water than in air. So it would be about 2 octaves higher, you could still hear it.

butcher

Sounds like this could end with a crescendo.

tomhoward

Bet the OP isn’t reveille in the quality of these replies

colp

I was trying to think of a better gag than the “last post” one but I just couldn’t trumpet.

wheelsonfire1

@markwsf You’re blowing your own trumpet with all that knowledge

pistonbroke
    Free Member

I bet this thread is giving you the horn.

escrs
    Free Member

Not sure what you guys are on about and i think you a reading something into my post which im oblivious too!

I genuinely have had two different tyres which have developed a bulge within the tread and when pierced a small amount of water came out, first tyre has done 2000 ish miles since it happened with no more issues

* Edit

Just seen ive spelt bulge as bugle in the thread title and once within the post, doh!!!!

Must remember to get my g & l the right way round!!

tomhoward

We probably shouldn’t have made such a song and dance of it.

Hopefully no one will get band.

escrs
    Free Member

We probably shouldn’t have made such a song and dance of it.

Hopefully no one will get band.

Well i could say im dyslexic and you are picking on me lol

(im not and im finding this funny!)

Stiggy

👏 everyone!

tomhoward

im not and im finding this funny!

Music to our ears.

donald
    Free Member

Me so horny

MrSparkle

Just seen ive spelt bulge as bugle in the thread title and once within the post, doh!!!!

Must remember to get my g & l the right way round!!

Yeah, you blew it.

MoreCashThanDash

Just had the first proper belly laugh in days at the way this developed, really needed that!

theotherjonv

Sounds like something you need to discuss with the tyre manufacturer rather than on here.

You phonin’ ’em up would probably create enough noise to get a response

timbog160

😂

scotroutes

You phonin’ ’em up would probably create enough noise to get a response

Yep. Get on the blower.

shermer75
    Free Member

That wood wind me up

joat

Ignore them OP. some of the replies are very witty admittedly (they’re referencing your spelling of bulge as bugle the musical instrument in case you didn’t know). I realise that I may be a victim of an elaborate setup though, but here goes.
    Water obviously won’t find its way in through rubber that is able to hold a bubble from the outside, so it’s most likely the carrier of the sealant. It has probably found a tiny imperfection in the carcass which has filtered out any hole sealing fibres. I had a Hutchinson Fusion 5 which blistered on the tread but the failure was more catastrophic. Luckily I was carrying a spare tube to get me back but the tyre was toast.

tomhoward

Ignore them OP.

mboy
    Free Member

Too late, or am I still in time…? 🤔

martinhutch

Probably a warranty issue. Perhaps euphonium up on Monday?

donald
    Free Member

You are being very unfair to the OP if English is not his first language.

He may not be an anglosaxaphone.

andrewh
    Free Member

Both times ive pierced the bugle with a pin and water (no sealant) has come out and the bulge disappears and tyre looks normal again

At least you know the tyre jazz is working properly.

whatgoesup

OP – don’t worry and ignore all the silly replies, it’s generally just a lot of hot air.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘bugle in tyre, water inside bugle’ is closed to new replies.