Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Bubbles in pee. What’s normal?
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

As far as I can tell there has always been bubbles in my pee, more so in the morning, had assumed they were just from the pee hitting the toilet water. Came across an article a couple of days ago however that says bubbly pee is a sign of protein in urine, a sign of kidney disease.

I got hold of some urine dip sticks and they aren’t positive for protein (no idea how accurate they are but Ive done them for 3 days straight ), and my blood kidney test back in March was fine

For clarity, there are quite a lot of bubbles (almost frothy at times ) however they begin to disappear quite quickly, but a few do remain around the edge of bowl if I don’t flush

Seems like a ridiculous thing to bother my GP about, especially if it’s completely normal but Dr google has me concerned

Stevelol
    Free Member

Are you honestly asking a bike forum this question? Go to see your GP, is it really worth risking?

Stevet1
    Free Member

Don’t see a problem with asking – op only wants to know what other peoples normal looks like, it’s surely preferable to taking a long look as someone is taking a wizz in the urinal next to you. FWIW – no bubbles here.

Harry_the_Spider

How does it taste compared to other people’s?

reeksy

If it’s fizzy I’d be considering mouthfeel rather than taste.

… however for the OP I can say my pee bubble levels are more southern real ale than lager.

hooli

How does it taste compared to other people’s?

Posher, clearly, its carbonated.

Go and see a GP OP.

molgrips
    Free Member

I asked this same question many years ago on here. I went to the doc, they checked me out, couldn’t find anything wrong. It’s less bubbly now though. Dunno why.

MrSparkle

This sort of thing annoys me. In fact it really boils my…

DrP

i would say that in the absence of protein in your urine dip (the thing a GP would test for) there’s probably not much more to do in teh absence of other symptoms (recurrent bladder infections etc)

DrPee

the-muffin-man

Never even knew this was a thing!

breninbeener

OP i am not a Dr but i would go and see my GP if i was worried.
    Part of me thinks it may be a hard water/soft water in your cistern thing?

Ian

z1ppy

Never even knew this was a thing!

+1… STW a learning experience, admitted not necessarily a useful learning experience

reluctantjumper

Mine can look like a frothy Fanta at times! Quickly goes away though, can be fun when at a trough urinal and someone is downhill. It’s the same reaction from them as when you pee in those blue blocks and the resultant flow takes on a nuclear colour (especially if you’ve been on the Berrocca tablets!), they are concerned but urinal etiquette says never talk to someone while in attendance so they just try to ignore it while trying to hide the fact they’re wanting to get out of there asap 😆

If it’s Ike it all the time go see a doctor, if it goes away in a day or two you’ve probably just ate something odd.

DrP

OK, technically there’s a difference between ‘frothy pee’, and bubbles in pee…
    it seems you really mean frothy pee, right?

In the absence of protein, it’s likely just a combination of the toilet water and something you’ve eaten.. I get it a lot!

DrP

tpbiker
    Free Member

Thanks all and assuming Dr P is an actual doctor then that’s reassuring

I’m going to assume you’d need quite a lot of protein to cause frothing and given numerous dipstick tests are negative I think that’s unlikely, unless I have a dud batch. Also, my egfr was 100 in March, so that’s reassuring as well

To be prudent however I’ll drop a line to the GP. I’m assuming they will laugh me out the door but better safe than sorry I guess.

tpbiker
    Free Member

OK, technically there’s a difference between ‘frothy pee’, and bubbles in pee

Tbh I’d describe it as quite frothy although it quickly disappears and leaves a few bubbles round the edge of the pan. It’s not like that nasty foam that you see on the beach or anything like that!

reeksy

Thanks all and assuming Dr P is an actual doctor then that’s reassuring

Dr P … seems appropriate

tuboflard

How tall are you OP?! If it’s landing from a great height that might be the reason. Try crouching if over 6’5”.

In all seriousness though, go to your GP if concerned.

slowoldman

I’m reminded of a teaboy on a construction site I was on on pouring tea into the site engineer’s mug from a great height ‘cos he hated frothy tea.

I don’t understand how you can tell if your pee is bubbly as opposed to the water in the bowl. Mrs. Slow suggests weeing slowly into a container close to your willy to see if it’s still bubbly.

Ambrose

Do you have a cold?
    I was once told that pee was more frothy due to the mucus. Not really sure how it would work. Do kidneys and bladders produce mucus?

Beagleboy

First thing in the morning game for me is….see if I can fill the bowl with frothy bubbles. I have kidneys, probably about the only thing left of me that functions okay. As with everything though, if it worries you, even the slightest wee bit, go see your GP.

slowoldman

if it worries you, even the slightest wee bit

Very good.

thepurist

How tall are you OP?

Surely the OPs height is only one of two factors in how far his pee drops to the water? 😉

honourablegeorge

This is a blatant attempt to win thread of the week on FGF and I salute it

honourablegeorge

This is a blatant attempt to win thread of the week on FGF and I salute it.

ossify

I find mine is more bubbly when there’s one of those cleaning tablets sitting in the cistern.
    Are you sure no one’s snuck one in, purely to mess with your mind?

It’s more obvious when it’s the blue type… unless your pee is normally blue?

Harry_the_Spider

We need to determine whether it is frothy (bubbles on impact) or fizzy (bubbles on release).

slowoldman

Surely the OPs height is only one of two factors in how far his pee drops to the water?

Is the second his inside leg?

IdleJon

Surely the OPs height is only one of two factors in how far his pee drops to the water?

Is the second his inside leg?

Or the step ladder he climbs on to pee. (Don’t ask about what he climbs on for poos…)

Blackflag
    Free Member

Wee in a pint glass? Check it it actually has bubbles?

traildog
    Free Member

Dr. Google suggests that:

“bubbles in urine is quite normal and should disapear after 10-20 minutes.”

Are you waiting this time studing your urine in the toilet? Otherwise,

“bubbles when collected in sample form are a sign of protein in the urine and should be checked out by a medical professional”

Are you collecting your pee in sample format, or just urinating in the toilet?

The general advice is to go see a GP if you’re worried, but I also think googling conditions can easily make you worried.

MoreCashThanDash

This sort of thing annoys me. In fact it really boils my…

Deserved recognition

db

I think your partner is putting some fairy liquid in the bowl and playing a long game prank on you! Have you upset them recently?

tpbiker
    Free Member

I have an appointment with the doc tomorrow and a small beaker to piss into

Must say I never thought of seeing if it bubbles in the container. I don’t think it does tbh!! Should have paid more attention

bubbles in urine is quite normal and should disapear after 10-20 minutes

Again, I’ve never left it so long to check!the doc is going to laugh me out the surgery aren’t they!😩

Re height..5.10. Short legs, combined with average boabie shouldn’t be causing the issue…

I do have magnificent balls however… doubt that’s a factor but I like to mention it…

scotroutes

bubbles in urine is quite normal and should disapear after 10-20 minutes

Even when I’m really burstin’ I can’t pee for that long.

reeksy

(Don’t ask about what he climbs on for poos…)

A stool surely?

oceanskipper

(Don’t ask about what he climbs on for poos…)

A stool surely?

very good. 👏

dyna-ti

it seems you really mean frothy pee, right?

I would think so, but I’ve now got a visual picture of them floating through the air.

Superficial
    Free Member

Think of it like head on a beer vs head on a coke. If it stays for 10 mins and would pass at Oktoberfest, see a doc.

Foamy wee is actually a really insensitive sign and urine dipsticks are far more sensitive for low levels of proteinuria.

I am a doctor, but only on the internet and I don’t profess to be a professor of foamy wee-ology.

tpbiker
    Free Member

@superficial

It’s definitely more coke than octoberfest pint.

Good to hear dip sticks are reasonably sensitive. I’ve used 4 of them and all negative. Doc has told me to take a piss in a tub and bring it along tomorrow, I’m assuming they’ll send it away for analysis rather than just use a dip stick but we’ll see. I also have a lovely pic of the contents of my toilet to show him.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.