Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Brand x ascend xl travel reduce?
  • joebristol

Wondering if anyone has come across this – I’ve read some bits online that suggest some brand x posts can have their travel reduced with the same shims that Oneup posts use (looks like mk1 had a plastic shim and Mk2 use little brass coloured metal rods).

I’ve picked up a new 170mm travel ascend xl with stealth routing but slammed into the frame it’s going to be tight as to whether it’s low enough for my mate who I’m building the bike for. Could do with dropping the travel by 1-2cm ideally.

intheborders
    Free Member

Send it back and buy a 150mm?

smokey_jo

You can do it by getting small zip ties and inserting them in the key ways cut to the length you want to reduce travel by. Mines working fine after plenty of wet rides.

joebristol

It’s already fitted to the bike and the cable routes through the frame – I’d have thought it would have scrape marks on it from that so difficult to return.

Worst case scenario I give my mate some money plus the 150mm brand x post I’ve got – but that’s not ideal as he hasn’t then got a brand new post to go with everything else new on the bike. Plus I’d prefer to swap my 150mm post out for a 210mm Oneup post at some point as I think I’ve got enough room for one of those.

joebristol

You can do it by getting small zip ties and inserting them in the key ways cut to the length you want to reduce travel by. Mines working fine after plenty of wet rides.

I guess that’s essentially what the plastic Oneup shims did in the mk1 Oneup post.

I’m sure my Oneup 180mm post came with something to shorten it but I can’t think for the life of me what I’d have done with it – given I didn’t need to space the post down. I’ll unscrew the collar and have a look inside to see what’s what I think.

submarined
    Free Member

The v2 OneUp adjusts differently I think.
    I reduced the travel on my wife’s Canyon post using the OneUp v1 spacers, so I’d imagine it may also work on the brand x as it shares internals.

joebristol

V2 apparently has little metal rods that space it out. I’ve got a v2 with the newer actuator but I seem to remember plastic spacers in the box. Wish I could remember what I’d done with them!

vmgscot

Yes, I did this on my GF’s Brand-X 150mm dropping down to 135mm and slammed.
    Being right tight I made the shims from milk bottle carton plastic after seeing the One-Up design.
    Its still working one year on.

joebristol

@vmgscot

This sounds like a goer – at least to check if it works before buying a plastic Oneup shim.

Where do you slide the plastic – just anywhere or does it have to be done internal slots?

I’ve unscrewed the top collar and slid the white plastic bush up. Does the spacer go underneath that bush?

vmgscot

Yes, the shim locates/slides into the groves then you slide the top white bush back onto top then screw on the top cap. I think I have a spare shim that I can take dimensions from and PM if you want to make one?

joebristol

@vmgscot – if you don’t mind doing that it’s be great. I guess it’s the width of the legs that slot in that are the key measurement and how far apart they’re spaced.

vmgscot

No worries, i’ll get something to you next couple days

renton
    Free Member

Does anyone have an exploded diagram of how to do this as I need to reduce the one down on my new ebike to 150mm

joebristol

@renton – another new bike?! What happened to the Hightower – I thought you were loving it? What’s the new bike?

There’s a video from Oneup that shows the process – although I couldn’t get any sound on it for some reason.

renton
    Free Member

@renton – another new bike?! What happened to the Hightower – I thought you were loving it? What’s the new bike?

There’s a video from Oneup that shows the process – although I couldn’t get any sound on it for some reason.

Ive sold it and bought an Ebike Whyte E150s 29.

fooman

You can’t shim the 2020 Brand X dropper with the OnOne plastic shim the design has changed (I have both and shimmed old version) at a glance it looks like they now use the small keys like the OnOne v2 dropper. I have some of the OnOne small key spacers I’ll take a look and see if these work. Plenty of old style Brand X about still you can tell difference from seat collar I think, old on left, new on right.

brand x

This thread has pictures of OnOne shim in Brand X dropper

renton
    Free Member

I have the one on the right ! What does that mean for me ?

fooman

^^^ I mean OneUp not OnOne…

Plastic OneUp shim doesn’t work on the one on the right, I’ve tried. I’m going to try the OneUp v2 shim see if they work.

joebristol

Oh balls, I’ve got the one on the right.

Can see myself having to buy the 170mm one off my mate in some kind of part ex deal for a 150mm one I’ve got at this rate. Annoying – as I want a 210 for my Fs and the 180 currently on there would go to my new hardtail.

fooman

I’ve been asked a couple of times if it’s possible to shorten the new Brand X so I wanted to update this thread.

Unfortunately there are no grooves for OneUp v2 shims so I’ve not worked out a way.

Poopscoop

Off boy the old certain going by the collar design.

To clarify, the v2 BX seems to have no method to shim it?

joebristol

Seems not to be possible on the newest brand x no

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Brand x ascend xl travel reduce?’ is closed to new replies.