Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Which 100mm stealth dropper ?
  • nealglover
    Free Member

I’m an old dinosaur and I’ve never had a dropper before but just bought a bike that has a brand x stealth dropper (and I love it!)

However I’m also a shortarse and the 120mm is slightly too long in the up position so I think I need to replace it with a 100mm one.

So unless anyone has a similar 100mm that’s too short, what is a good 100mm option for the budget conscious old dinosaur.

dove1

X-Fusion do the Manic in 100mm drop.
    Giant Contact Switch also comes in 100mm.

tomhoward

As does a reverb, sub £200 on chiggle normally.

peteimpreza

Got a 100mm Reverb surplus to requirements.

PM me if interested.

monkeyboyjc

For budget vs reliability brand x every time. Just swap it out for the 100mm version…..

prawny

OneUp. I’ve got little legs and thought I’d need a 100mm dropper or 120mm max. But I bought a cheap 170mm one and I’ve got it spaced down to just over 150mm

It’s brilliant too, no issues at all since I’ve had it and it’s a bit better quality than my old brand X one.

binman

OneUp is a good shout !

fooman

The OneUp shim fits the Brand X dropper (same internals) pack of 3 is a tenner, shorten it by any amount. I’ve put one in a 120mm dropper.

prawny

Brand x is good, I didn’t have any real issues with mine.

The advantage of the one up is the seatclamp gets you about 20mm extra drop height which is great for the stumpy of leg.

nealglover
    Free Member

The OneUp shim fits the Brand X dropper (same internals) pack of 3 is a tenner, shorten it by any amount. I’ve put one in a 120mm dropper.

This sounds great. Being new to dropper posts though, I have no idea what it means 😂

But if it means I can have full extension being 20mm lower than it is now, then it’s exactly what I need.

(What is it and where can I get it?!)

nealglover
    Free Member

I got hold of a OneUp shim kit but it doesn’t seem to fit.

On the brand x dropper, with collar removed and post at full height (so it will rotate) there are 3 raised splines on the post rather than three slots as I was expecting (for the shim to slide into.

Am I doing it wrong or does it not fit ??

fooman

Assuming your dropper is similar to the 120mm Brand X stealth I just bought, the shim will only fit if the post is slightly compressed. Unscrew the collar and slide out the white bush, the 3 prong shim should then slide in the channels below the bush at the back of the dropper;

Brand X opened

Then you need to compress some more to slide it down until the white bush is back in place;

Brand X bush

Then put the collar back in place, when you extend the dropper you now have a custom length, in this case 120mm down to 80mm or so as I put in a full shim.

Brand X custom

If you want 100mm (or any other length) you just cut the shim down. Shim looks like this;

OneUp Dropper Shim

nealglover
    Free Member

thanks fooman, I think I know what I was doing wrong now.
    I had the post raised too far.
    Makes more sense now.

(Shouldn’t try and do these things in the back of a van 5 mins before my train arrives 🤔 )

nealglover
    Free Member

Spot on. That worked a treat 🤔

I now have a 105mm dropper post.

Thanks for the help 👍

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Which 100mm stealth dropper ?’ is closed to new replies.