Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Bought some Sapim Race spokes – no nipples!!
  • cyclelife
    Free Member

been buying spokes (Sapim) for a long time just received 72 spokes from JRA without any nipples – always come supplied in box/pack or bag from other suppliers!

Is this correct?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You asked jra?

wiggles
    Free Member

does it say on the website that they come with them? might come with them from sapim but then JRA split them.

Loads of places do that sort of thing now, like CRC with mavic wheels that don’t come with bags or any adaptors etc, which funnily enough they have for sale separately…

cyclelife
    Free Member

Waiting for reply to my email – pain in the arse 🙁

cooie

JRA site says ‘nipples available separately’

cyclelife
    Free Member

What F*****g use are new spokes without nipples? Does not state such on the order page for these spokes AND every other supplier I’ve used over the past 15 years has supplied the nipples as included in the original box from Sapim – another way of fleecing their customers – well, I won’t be ordering anymore from JRA.

shermer75
    Free Member

Yep, this seems to be becoming the new way of doing things unfortunately! 🙁 I think everyone is feeling the squeeze a little bit..

Northwind

cyclelife – Member

What F*****g use are new spokes without nipples?

You might not want the ones they come with. I’ve got loads of alu nipples that came with spokes lying around, even if it only saved pennies it’s just such a waste.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Every time I’ve ordered spokes I’ve ordered nipples separately. Nipples and spokes both come in different sizes so I’ve never assumed they’d be thrown in.
    Guess it just varies between retailers.

cyclelife
    Free Member

Are there significant performance increases from using different nipples to the spoke suppliers 😯

“What nipples for CyB” thread anyone?

Northwind

cyclelife – Member

Are there significant performance increases from using different nipples to the spoke suppliers

Well yes, if they send alu rubbish. Or for that matter if you’re a weight weenie and you don’t want proper brass.

andyl
    Free Member

When I ordered D-lights from them they said I could request a different length of nipple if needed. But not black, those would have to be separate.

As I was using black brass nipples I ended up with loads of spare silvers so would have rather saved a couple of £ and selected my own nipples. Not going to complain though as price and delivery was good and would buy from them again.

PS never again with the black brass. Too much of a worry you are going to scratch the finish.

cyclelife
    Free Member

Well yes, if they send alu rubbish. Or for that matter if you’re a weight weenie and you don’t want proper brass.

Rubbish – Sapim supply brass nipples as standard with their Race spoke.

Northwind

What do you think I said that’s rubbish? Not everyone wants the same nipples so regardless of what comes with the spokes, it won’t be right for everyone. It’s not a difficult concept.

IsaacClarke
    Free Member

Exactly why I bought supplies for my last two wheel builds from Rose Bikes in Germany!

Came with nipples and worked out as the cheapest price available : )

cyclelife
    Free Member

But if the dealer (stealer) is keeping the nipples that Sapim supply, then that is a bit naughty. I understand if you have deep section rims and want longer nipples but then you should have to pay for those if they are not an option on the order.

Why is there always one twit on here and it’s nearly always the same one?

njee20
    Free Member

Came with nipples and worked out as the cheapest price available

Again though, it’s not just about coming with nipples, it’s whether it’s the right ones for you.

All spokes will come with nipples from the manufacturer. Not too sure on Spain, I know CX-Rays come with ‘Polyax’ (alu). For DT Competitions silver spokes come with brass, black with alu weirdly.

So yes, JRA are keeping the nipples and potentially selling them to you as an extra, but they’re also not selling at retail, splitting packs etc, so there’s a bit of give and take.

Personally I’ve used black nipples on my last few builds, brass ones for some road wheels, and alu for a pair of light road wheels and light mtb ones. All were purchased independently of the spokes. I’m fine with that, don’t need hundreds of silver nipples I’m unlikely to use.

hatter

All spokes will come with nipples from the manufacturer.

Not strictly true, the larger spoke packs (500 or more) that are supplied to bike or wheel builders for OE use are generally supplied without nipples.

njee20
    Free Member

Ah yes, so they do. Been a while since I ordered those!

Northwind

cyclelife – Member

If there’s a twit everywhere you go, then in all likelihood it’s you.

http://www.justridingalong.com/wheel-parts/spokes.html

“Nipples are available separately.”

Just take a wee step back eh? You’ve got exactly what you ordered and you’re stamping your feet, calling the shop “stealers” for sending you exactly what they said they’d send, and calling people names who disagree with you and point out the obvious. What’s it achieving?

Lifer
    Free Member

Entertainment

oliverracing

Just take a wee step back eh? You’ve got exactly what you ordered and you’re stamping your feet, calling the shop “stealers” for sending you exactly what they said they’d send, and calling people names who disagree with you. What’s it achieving?

Welcome to STW

LAT

I ordered some spokes from JRA recently. I want to stress that I am not the customer kicking off online.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’ve ordered loads of spokes from JRA.I order the nipples at the same time.

Is it you?I was hoping it was me tbh but you seem like more of a twit.

orangeboy
    Free Member

A customer who gets what they ordered but still complain. Not sure twit quite covers it

taxi25
    Free Member

I’ve bought 1000’s of spokes and nipples have always been provided, sometimes you have the option of selecting a particular type, but the default has always been some standard brass type that comes supplied in the box, always !!
    Whatever JRA says on their site is just bull. All their doing is working their customers over for a few extra quid. Don’t say their not charging RRP because what the hell is that with spokes.

Rorschach
    Free Member

*they’re (1 out 3 is’nt too bad).

trail_rat
    Free Member

Someone above is confused. Rose do not supply nipples its order seperate
    Certainly with DT Swiss

DT came boxes with 12mm anyway and I always preferred 14mm for my builds.

sq225917
    Free Member

As a retailer/wheelbuilder you can order ‘retail packaged’, with spokes, or ‘OEM packs’, typically, though not always, without spokes.

As long as the retailer clearly labels them as supplied/not supplied with spokes then what’s the issue.

Seems like some people always blame others for their mistakes.

IsaacClarke
    Free Member

Yup! I was confused!!

Having said that, Rose were still the cheapest for all spokes/nipples needed for the wheel builds – and I did need a specific nipple type.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Bought some Sapim Race spokes – no nipples!!’ is closed to new replies.