Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • BMX – Skyway Tuff wheels
  • ken_shields
    Free Member

Anybody used Skyway tuff wheels on a BMX?

Any good?

Cheers

Ken

thekingofsweden

Just about every kid who had a BMX in the 80’s

Oh and they don’t straighten in the freezer !

GW
    Free Member

Yes, have used them (but it was 27 or so years ago) The Hubs are shite and metal spokes and rims do a better job

ken_shields
    Free Member

Sorry I should have said…….

Anybody had Skyway wheels in the last two years or so?

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Areya pro class where the fastest

takisawa2

I have an old coaster brake set I was using on the kids trailer till recently. More because they looked so bloody ace, & I’m a nostalgic old fool. They weighed a ton & one of them locked solid & left us stranded. Still toying with picking up an old Raleigh Burner frame for them to reside on. And for me to look at. All misty eyed etc.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/takisawa2/3402639416/]IMG_6529[/url] by pten2106, on Flickr

(Yes, eldest is fast asleep. A common occurrence on the journey home after a long day at nursery).

GW
    Free Member

Has anything changed other than sealed bearings? don’t think so

martinxyz
    Free Member

the alloy hubs changed to molded kind of style up front/alloy hub rear. not sure if and when they got rid of the alloy hubs completely. hoffman used them in his early days as they withstood 10ft+ hookups that no other wheel could.i knew a guy that had TW1s around 81-82. i havent seen a pair since.

Haze

Z-Rims were my thing…

Never got tired of bending those babies!

juiced
    Free Member

always wanted z rims.

martinxyz
    Free Member

what fun we had on those. and the other mags that were fun to bring within an inch of their life was acorn mags. they only cost £19.99 a pair so it was no big deal if you popped them!

question: acs and odi.. who calls acs rims “acks”? its a.c.s. yeah?

now why do mtbers pronounce odi grips like bill oddies sirname? grrr.

O.D.I

takisawa2

We removed the tyre & dropped a Z-rim wheel off a Trent Valley flats. It broke. Exploded in fact. Into about 2 dozen razor sharp shards.
    The chap in the bike shop had already heard of our testing method from another gang so refused to honour the warranty.

Junkyard
    Free Member

they wresked your spokes though those z rims.
    my step day through out my skyways with sealed bearings and kept the acorns 😥

juiced
    Free Member

anyone remember AME grips. loved those.

juiced
    Free Member

i remember acorns. 😆

coastkid
    Free Member

pre freestyle tyres days!

some of the factory boys had these Campag hubbed wheels back in the day…

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

I have a set of Tuff II’s on a Diamond Back pacer500.

I am also using Acs Z rims as a spare pare of wheels, but my Diamond Back Senior Pro and Diamond Back Silverstreak are both wearing Araya 7x.

I might put the Z’ds on a DB Formula 1 Frame and Fork.

Do I have too many bikes?

I raced old school at the British champs on Skyway Graphite Tuffs in 2007 and used them for a few other old school BMX races for a couple of years after that.

They still look as iconic (best looking bike wheel ever?) as they did in the 80s, but for a 13.5 stone (at the time) 30-something bloke, they flexed too much.

And martinxyz, your right, ACS = American Cycle Systems (so definitely not pronounced “acks”; and ODI = Ornate Designs Incorporated (so not pronounced “oddy” either).

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘BMX – Skyway Tuff wheels’ is closed to new replies.