Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • bmibaby with bikes?
  • dazzydw
    Free Member

Off to BikeVerbier again this July, we normally fly easyjet from EastMidlands.

Now easyjet have pulled out of EastMidlands, to get to Geneva this summer I could choose bmibaby or go easyjet from Luton. (I don't think bmibaby ever flew to Geneva in the summer before)

What are bmibaby like with bikes?
    Easyjet have always been just about ok on weight allowance, and never any problems with carrying.
    Anyone got good/bad things to say about bmibaby?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Flew woth them last year, and had no problems at all.. Put my bike in a box, and paid the extra £18? IIRC and flew.

I took 20kgs of normal bagage, and my bike box weighed 32kgs..

No dramas at all.

dazzydw
    Free Member

This is what worries me –

From bmibaby T&Cs
    " PLEASE NOTE: bicycles will only be accepted if suitably packaged. The maximum weight of any of these items is 18kgs*. "

I reckon last time I flew my bike bag weighed 30kg.
    18kg is a joke. Excess baggage for a 30kg bike bag would cost £120 !!
    Has anyone been stung by this 18kg limit? Or is it down to how sweetly you smile at the check-in girl?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Like I said, I had no dramas at all.. Mine weighed in its box 31kgs… and I didn't have to pay anymore.

Would be interetsed to see how this pans out, as I'm planning to fly again later this year..

Matta
    Free Member

very good! have used them the last four years with no problems

blaggers
    Free Member

I'm interested in this as well, anyone used them from East Mids yet?

Cheers

steveh

Have easyjet officially pulled out of EMA now? The last I knew it was under consultation. Will be a shame if they do have used them a lot to go various places over the years.

blaggers
    Free Member

Think they have,I couldn't book for a february flight.

sheldona
    Free Member

BMI lost my baggage this week on the way out here to Moscow, it turned up 24hrs late, they wouldn't deliver it and on arrival at the airport it had been graffitied!! Not impressed with BMI at all. Worst CS I've ever had in 12 years of flying regulary.

blaggers
    Free Member

Ok,thanks for the info

Onzadog
    Free Member

I'm looking to do the same this August (bmibaby from EMA). Noticed in their terms and conditions, they talk about bikes travelling standby. As they only fly to Geneva twice a week, my bike coming out on the next flight (and having to go back to Geneva to collect it) would really poop on the trip. Anyone ever had any experience of this or is it just a bit of official ass covering?

blaggers
    Free Member

Not sure about that, but they've already moved our flight time from 7am to 7 pm! Were not going to get to Verbier until midnight now!

Digby

Despite not having had any problems in the past, I certainly won't be flying with BMIBaby again if I can help it. Having paid extra for snowboard carriage (£18) I still got stung for £60 excess baggage [East Midlands to Geneva last week] as my combined baggage weight was [according to their scales] 5.3kg over the current allowance of 18kg per bag. They are now strictly enforcing the £10 per kilo excess baggage rule which means a 31kg bike bag would cost you £130 ONE way in adition to the additional baggage cost of £18 for the bike

My snowboard bag contained only board, boots, bindings, shovel & probe and it still weighed 20kg according to them – I doubt I could pack a mountain bike so that it only weighed 18kg and paying the excess baggage can make the total cost more than a flight to Canada!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Thanks for that. I spoke to someone there today and it was like pulling teeth. I asked them if they knew how much the sort of bike people take to the Alps would weight. I didn't really expect them to know but he couldn't care less that it's just not possible. Perhaps they just don't want the custom!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘bmibaby with bikes?’ is closed to new replies.