Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Bikehut 1600 light what mount for the handlebars?
  • retrogirl
    Free Member

Hi I have the bikehut 1600 lumen light and it’s great except when I’m on rough ground the light won’t stay put which is a bit concerning when I’m riding down hill. I have been looking for the hope qr mount but they don’t seem to be available so am wondering if there are any alternatives I can look for?

joebristol

I just picked up a cheapie alloy one from eBay – like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363063381778

Tightened down with Allen bolts and doesn’t budge at all. Much better then the standard mount.

allanoleary
    Free Member

is this light really good enough for woodland night rides??? Serious question as it could save me some money. Would be interested to see a pic of it in use from someone….

dc1988

Yes it is, I don’t have a picture but it really punches above its weight. A friend uses a Gloworm X2 and there’s very little between them.

I also use the eBay alloy GoPro mount, doesn’t move at all.

DickBarton

I use a Hope handlebar mount…screws in replacing the rubber strap.

allanoleary
    Free Member

Tempted to get one plus some form of helmet light then

joebristol

is this light really good enough for woodland night rides??? Serious question as it could save me some money. Would be interested to see a pic of it in use from someone….

I’d say yes, with a spotty helmet light. I’ve done a mixture of trail centre flowy stuff and off piste tech stuff with the bikehut 1600 and a Moon Vortex Pro on my helmet and it’s been more than enough. I haven’t ridden something really fast like the descents at Cwmcarn to see how well they go on that but I’d expect them to be enough.

sharkattack

Definitely good enough for off road night rides in combination with a good helmet light. Once you’ve got a solid bar mount you’re sorted.

retrogirl
    Free Member

Brilliant thankyou I’ve just ordered it from sjs and yes the light is great. Good battery life and bright enough for off road and a reasonable price too

konanige

I have mounted mine using an exposure cleat and bracket, works perfectly.

mick_r

While all the Bikehut light users are gathered – what kind of runtime do you get? Particularly interested in the 1000 setting if possible. Thanks 🙂

sweepy
    Free Member

I thought they were good lights, but I had 2, 1600 on bars and 500 for helmet and at minus 4 they both turned themselves off every 60 seconds.

joebristol

Can’t say I’ve tried mine that cold – I don’t use the Bikehut to commute with.

Runtime wise it’s hard to say – I tend to ride between off piste bits with the light as low as it can go whilst I can still see where I’m going, then whack it onto full power for the bit I really need to see. My night rides would generally be 1.5-2 hours and I’ve never run out of juice yet.

I have another Halfords sold light called a Ryder Alumia 1600 (I think) which was a similar price / power output and that has nowhere near as good runtime. It might have a tinier bit more intense spot but the mount isn’t that great off-road on that either!

malv173
    Free Member

If you have any issues mounting it to the QR mount, I found that a disc rotor bolt works a treat.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Has anyone used a different mount for the 35mm wide bars as im struggling to find one

tthew

Has anyone used a different mount for the 35mm wide bars as im struggling to find one

A Go-Pro bar mount works attached to the stem, unless you have a really stumpy one, (stem obvs 😁) Having said that, it’d work on 35mm handlebars too because they are sized pretty generously.

jbn84
    Free Member

@konanige Do you know which exposure cleat fit the bikehut light? I tried to do this with an exposure cleat from an older Maxx-D (mk 3) but the threads are different sizes. Cheers

joebristol

Just on the 35mm bar width the alloy eBay mount I have doesn’t play nicely with the wider diameter bar. I’d had it on my hardtail with 31.8mm which was perfect. Won’t go round the 35mm as the bolts aren’t long enough. Just changed the stem / bar on full suss to 31.8mm and it’s now bang on.

For off-road it’s got plenty of power and runtime for best part of 2 hours non problem. Ran it a mixture of full power and 1 down and it hadn’t dented the runtime lights on the top of the light.

I did remind myself you need a helmet light with it otherwise you don’t see round corners until you turn the bars – managed to wallop my ribs into what I thought was a bush but turned out to be a tree with funny bushy bits on it. Went over the bars I think and taking paracetamol and ibuprofen today to take the edge off the pain!

Doesn’t need to be mental helmet power – my Moon Vortex Pro on non boost setting (700ln) is plenty. Tempted to get an Exposure Joystick but realistically it only saves 20g and even on my head I’m not sure that’s noticeable. Extra power not needed.

That reflex+ sounds good on a bar light though where it goes up and down on power depending on what you’re doing.

filks

I use a Lezyne mount and swapped the rubber strap for the Lezyne clip – almost as if it were designed for it! Works perfectly

konanige

Pretty sure I used the bolt from the bikehut light with a spring washer between the cleat and light.

sam1988
    Free Member

Hopefully this picture works

To the members using a hope mount, do you just bolt it directly like this?

20201021_122904

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Bikehut 1600 light what mount for the handlebars?’ is closed to new replies.