Home Forums Bike Forum Bike storage at home

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Bike storage at home
  • dansat
    Free Member

Hi All,

I am looking a buying a first house and top of my list is somewhere to store multiple bikes (4 in our house currently) without taking up the whole space.

I will always store bikes inside unless I can find something outdoors that is completely theft and weather proof. I’ve been looking for houses that have a small separate downstairs room to keep them in that is seperate to the living room and kitchen, but seems like this a far and few between in affordable terraced/ semi detached houses where I live.

Now looking at of racks/ hooks etc. Looking for any suggestions on how you store bikes?

SirHC

https://uk.steadyrack.com/

Use these in my garage, can rack the bikes pretty close if you stagger the heights.

tall_martin

I was bought a rail to hang bikes on off the wall as a moving in present.

6 bike Wall Mount

6 bike Wall Mount

I put some £5 hooks from on one on the wall as well.

The hooks are better as you can stagger the heights of the hooks are not restricted to the height of the rail.

Jobsworth Steel Wall Mounted Bike Hanger (Folding Hook)

Both the rail and the hooks are mounted on a big fat bit of wood that is bolted into the wall.

hardtailonly

If no suitable ‘room’ downstairs, you could look at eg a cupboard under the stairs, and whether that could be opened up so, combined with a hallway, whether that would give you enough space?

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Has anyone tried the velo hinge?

Feedback Sports Velo Hinge Bike Hook One Size https://amzn.eu/d/hrhlFuk

Particularly interested in any comparison between the velo hinge and the steady rack.

kilo

We live mid terrace with no rear access to our garden, the bikes, and there are about 15 of them, are hanging in an unlocked  brick shed or under covers in the garden. The reality is to get to them one either smashes the front door in and then strolls past all the nickable stuff in the houses or jumps at least  three 6’ fences so I assess theft as a low risk.

ravingdave

Im in the same predicament after building an extension. I demolished the garage and built a new lounge and 11m2 utility for all the garage crap. It works, but i need bikes on the wall.

Dansat, I’ve looked at loads of racks they all seem to have a compromise of some sort. Will you have a spare bedroom they could be put in? Pain to go up and down stairs but if straight might not be too bad. Take out understair cbrd? Utility that could be ripped out/converted?

@wwpaddler
    , do you have those velo hinges? It looks interesting alternative to the steadyrack that works out expensive when i need 6!

@tall_martin
    I’ve had the pro bike rack been that was top of my list based on storing 6 bikes, looking neat and not costing the earth!

I need to store 3 kids and 3 adult bikes, sorry for hinack dansat!

wwpaddler
    Free Member

I haven’t got any rack but trying to decide between steady rack and velo hinge.  Think I want a swing able rack otherwise I’d go for the hooks from planetx linked by tallmartin.

alanf
    Free Member

There was a thread a while back about a DIY type steadyrack made out of sliding gate hardware.

I’ll see if I can find it.

EDIT: https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/garage-bike-storage-3/

nbt

There’s been a few threads about this kind of thing over the years. While the site search is not brilliant, these are a couple that might provide inspiration – I like the unistrut idea in the first on and may use it if I ever re-organise

Planning a hanging rail system for bikes

Show me your bike hanging solutions?

and for those wondering how I found these, the trick is NOT to use the search built into the site, but to tell google  (or the seacrh engine of your choice) that you want to search STW by including “site:singletrackworld.com”

https://www.google.com/search?q=hanging+bikes+site%3Asingletrackworld.com

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=hanging+bikes+site%3Asingletrackworld.com&atb=v390-1ta&ia=web

a11y

I’ve got 6 bikes hung using Steadyracks at 380mm spacing, staggered height alternating higher and lower to avoid handlebar clash – all MTBs with 750-800mm bars. Racks were £50ea five years ago: a significant cost outright but compared to what we spend on bikes themselves it’s much more bearable. They’ve been hassle-free since fitting and feel built to last, so I’m happy with the cost. The swivelling aspect is brilliant too.

chakaping

I’ve been looking for houses that have a small separate downstairs room to keep them in that is seperate to the living room and kitchen, but seems like this a far and few between in affordable terraced/ semi detached houses where I live.

I was facing the same issue, downsizing from a double garage to a terrace.

My solution was to look for a place with a big conservatory.

I now have less bike theft anxiety then when they were in the garage.

alanf
    Free Member

@wwpaddler – I have I think 6 of those planet x hangers going spare if you want them – If you cover postage (they are quite heavy) and make a donation to a charity of your choice I’ll get them over to you.

EDIT: I may have misunderstood your post above. If anyone is after some of the planet x type hooks let me know (as above) and you can have them.

Speeder

I’ve been thinking about doing this for a while so this is a very interesting thread. I was sure that someone would make something compatible off the shelf but hadn’t thought to look at gate hardware and its hard to know what terms to use in a search.

There don’t seem to be any of the park machine threaded hooks available in the UK, only Germany and being as we’re post Brexit they’re not shipping.  Can anyone suggest a supplier or an alternative?

TiRed

Garage. Top and Tailed, hooks in the joists, hung from wheels (excluding carbon). Additional battens bolted to walls with same hooks. Cables through the frames and off the ground. Our garage is integral to the house. Any theft is then classed as a burglary – don’t ask me how I know this :-( . It also means that there is now no means of opening our garage door from the outside.

alanf
    Free Member

@Speeder – I’ve used the carriages with the brackets and then added just a small threaded M8 hook to that. To suspend the bikes I’ve got some 30mm webbing strap and got the wife to sew a D ring at either end. this then goes through the wheel and attaches to the hook on the carriage. The straps can be mad as long or short as required. I got the strapping and d rings from ebay.

Speeder

@alanf that sounds like a pragmatic solution though I’d be concerned that it’d be a bit flexible and hard to attach with tired arms.  Do they swing about much?

alanf
    Free Member

“Do they swing about much”.

Not really, No. I attach one end of the strap, lift the bike and feed the strap through the wheel. I then lift the other end of the strap and attach to the hook. I don’t find any issues doing it that way. The other good thing is that you can set the length of the strap to whatever length you need when you make them. My road bikes are both wheel on and mountains are front wheel off and I put the spare wheels on another hook.

onehundredthidiot

I’ve those planet X ones for the ebike.

Putting one outside for washing.

zippykona

My bikes would benefit from being stored vertically.
    The low eaves of my shed would mean that the fromt wheel would need to be at 90 degrees to fit.
    Is there a cunning solution for that?

nbt

There don’t seem to be any of the park machine threaded hooks available in the UK

Normal hook

Big hook

I don’t like amazon, but they are available. they’re also listed on trekbikes.com so maybe try your local trek dealer?

BadlyWiredDog

There don’t seem to be any of the park machine threaded hooks available in the UK, only Germany and being as we’re post Brexit they’re not shipping.  Can anyone suggest a supplier or an alternative?

We use these, from Decathlon, screwed onto joists in the cellar celing, bikes top and tailed. Cellars are ace :-)

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/1-bike-wall-and-ceiling-rack/_/R-p-313305?mc=8576774

We also have a couple, of, I think, these:

https://www.wiggle.com/p/lifeline-threaded-storage-hooks

We tried various front wheel wall-mounts, but ultimately the joist solution just worked better.

nbt

The low eaves of my shed would mean that the fromt wheel would need to be at 90 degrees to fit.

Hang from the back wheel. Optionally remove the front wheel

zippykona

Nbt, that is actually a clever idea. Nice one.

Speeder

@BadlyWiredDog I was particularly looking for the machine threaded type as I want to do a sliding rail type setup.  I’ve still got to check clearances and stuff but I’d like to have something that’s a bit more flexible.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

WRT to storage area. We used to get 5 bikes in the understairs cupboard in our ground floor maisonette when we lived in London. 4 in, front wheel off, nose to tail; the 5th a roadie with both wheels off, hung up by the saddle.

Now we have cellars – might be subject to location, but even in London, they’re not uncommon. How practical they are to access is a separate issue though.

roger_mellie

I use floor stands now, after trying various configurations of hanging.

these ones

Marin
    Free Member

I’m my last house I just had an Asgard storage shed. I had 3 nice bikes in it and never worried. Yes you could bring a whizzer and wrecking bar and break in quite easily but it would be far easier to put a brick through the French doors and carry them out the house.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Make a feature.

ravingdave

I’ve just bought 6 planetx hooks. Will install on a large pattress (heavy duty sheet of MDF or similar foxed to timber frame so i can move around as kids’ bikes grow

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.