Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Bike rack – long wheelbase
  • alcolepone
    Free Member

anyone know if i would have trouble fitting this….

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/mountain-bikes/full-suspension-mountain-bikes/orbea-rallon-m10-myo-review/

to this…

https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/car-specific-accessories/buzz_rack_eazzy_4_bike_folding_and_tilting_rack_no_brp724/Qx%40w%2C6M42VAwp3%40Rb%7B~cC4ure_QXhe

the rack is 1120mm, and the wheelbase of the bike is 1,255mm , so sound like there maybe issues? is there any tips to get this to work? not sure if the bike handle bars rotate 180 to try that idea.

csb

Not familiar with this rack but innovative use of guttering and zip ties can extend the wheel trays for longer bikes.

masterdabber
    Free Member

Turn handlebars 180 degrees?

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I have a cheapo Thule Ride on 9403 from Halfords which states maximum wheel base of 110 cm. Actual width is 105 cm.

Recently loaded my Stanton Switch9er, large, which has a stated wheel base of 1236mm and it was fine.

Superficial
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be buying that rack without a test fit. The wheelbase of the bike is longer than the width of the rack, so the midpoint of both wheels would sit outside/below the rack itself and would be inherently unstable. Also, the straps are quite far inboard in the pictures.

I get that you could probably hack something together, but I wouldn’t start out engineering bodges before you’ve even bought it.

alcolepone
    Free Member

I have the rack, but not the bike 😀

doomanic

I’ve got a Halfords Advance 2 bike rack. The max wheelbase is 114cm (not that you’ll find this out without buying it; it’s not mentioned on the website) and it’ll happily carry a Medium Rail (122cm wheelbase) or S3 Kenevo SL (126cm).

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

“I have the rack, but not the bike”

Got any mates with long bikes? Or an LBS with an long bike in shop?

happybiker
    Free Member

I’ve got the older Buzz rack 3 and my 1260mm wb bike only just fits.

The issue is 3 bikes with boost spacing causes the axles to rub unless you’re careful loading it. My next rack will be wider between bikes, like the Thule XT2.

IA

Turn handlebars 180 degrees?

+1 to this, makes a big difference.

intheborders
    Free Member

I’ve had to bastardise my Thule towbar rack to fit my Cotic on, so if you’ve already the rack…

And then when I put the -2 headset in, had to length the rack again 🙂

konanige

Bought an Atera rack from the same place( similar price) and my Hello Dave 1300mm wheelbase fits on just fine. The slide back rather than ’tilt’ feature is great.

markgstacey
    Free Member

What was the final conclusion on the longer wheelbase? I have a Canyon Torque, identical wheelbase, and looking at this rack (the other bikes I have are all shorter).
    I do need a 4 bike rack, and not having the scratchy bars on top is useful

Anyone with this rack I could pop out to visit and test? I’m in London, ride Sussex, Wales etc

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.