Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Biggest insect you've hit whilst riding?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I hit a dragonfly out on the road yesterday. A proper big bugger. It hit my shoudler with a rustly chitinous insecty wriggly smash and then rolled off. I had my jersey zipped down and wide open at the time, so for a few seconds I thought it'd gone inside. Now I'm not especially squeamish but there was definitely a bit of frantic loosening of fabric accompanied by some choice language.

Also saw a stag beetle flying about whilst riding a few weeks ago, although I was stopped at the time and I just watched it cruising about. Also bloody huge and heavy looking.

LoCo
    Free Member

Massive maybug though helmet vent into dredds I had at the time (long time ago, have a 'mitchell cut now due to receeding hair line 😀 )
    Stuck in hair buzzing 😯

tiger_roach
    Free Member

Nothing that big but seem to get bugs caught in my helmet most rides – been stung 3 times in the last month or so, twice under the helmet and once under my tongue; getting a bit wary….

LoCo
    Free Member

HIJACK sorry, any more on the s.wales forum ride molegrips?

BigJohn

An iguana*.

* if iguanas are insects.

I hit a manatee on the same trip, but I was in a canoe.

MrTall
    Free Member

I hit a bumble bee at around 40mph down a big hill. Hit the corner of my riding glasses and snapped the arm off them.

nonk
    Free Member

an owl.

LoCo
    Free Member

Iguana 😆

BenjiM

I hit a wasp or a bee that lodged itself between my glasses and helmet going downhill on the road at about 35 -40 mph. Gave me a hell of a shock when it stung me, and I felt a bit funny afterwards. I could never remember being stung by an insect before.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Saw a school friend knocked out cold by a huge brown beetle that smacked into his forehead (pre-helmet times).

Nothing big myself on a bicycle but hit a pigeon with my shoulder on a motorbike at 100+ ….now that was sore.

Xylene
    Free Member

Seen some large insects in LOS when living there – gargantuan cockroaches, foot long centipedes (one of the insects which scared me), once came across a 3.5m reticulated python in my garden, followed by a couple of weeks later a cobra (both when setting off for a ride).

Once nearly ran into an elephant in the dark as well, it didn't have it's red taillight on.

tomdebruin
    Free Member

I once hit a bat, but we all know Bats Aren't Bugs! 😀

gpilling
    Free Member

I hit a young chav recently who stepped out in the road without looking.

Not quite an insect but certainly a pest.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Biggest insect you've hit whilst riding?’ is closed to new replies.