• This topic has 19 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Del.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Best way to repair this – car paintwork content?
  • Rich
    Free Member

I’ve made a right mess of my paintwork and taken the basecoat down to the primer.

It’s too big an area to paint with a stick, so shall I try spraying it with an airbrush?

Also is it better to get the basecoat and lacquer mixed together and spray on in one, or do them separately?

One last thing, shall I just leave it well alone and fork out for a smart repair? I wouldn’t mind, but the way I keep getting extra scuffs and dents in car parks it’s like throwing good money after bad! 👿

Hairychested
    Free Member

Hard to tell much from the piccy, looks like sea TBH.
    I leave the scratches as they are, but my car is old. Depends a bit on the car, doesn’t it?

Rich
    Free Member

Looks like sea? 😆

Ignore the yellow bit that is a reflection of a bush, its just the bit 2/3s up, 1/3 in from left.

Car is 2 years old, Toyota Verso. 😥

nickc

You can get pretty good results from a can if you’re prepared to put some effort in. You’ll need some primer, some fine Wet and Dry, tack rag, paint, rubbing compound, polish, a nice not too hot day with no breeze. Or a couple of quid at the local body shop…

Depends on the age of the car TBH

robob
    Free Member

ey up, what panel is it on? looks like a bumper? it’s also difficult to tell the area we are looking at; 10p peice size? bigger? smaller?

takisawa2

Looks more like Cirro-Cumulus to me.

Scratch it & claim on your insurance… 🙂

Surely a 2yr old Verso should have a Toyota approved bodyshop job done on it to preserve the paint warranty…
    Paint on our Verso is crap also, I reckon Toyota used the On-One paintshop…

Rich
    Free Member

Car is out of warranty due to mileage.

Its on the rear passenger side door.

Some idiot scratched right down the one side of the car, and I tried to repair it myself with painting, sanding and rubbing it back. It looks pretty good in most places, just this bit sanded through the clearcoat and basecoat as far as I can tell, must be very thin paint.

Ignore the blob, looks like something on the lens, but it only shows up when taking pictures of the car, weird!

Marmoset
    Free Member

Leave it – it’ll only pick more stuff like that up as it gets older..

Rich
    Free Member

I cant leave it, it really catches my eye and annoys me. Especially in such a prominent location.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Get Mr Chips to sort it out.

Oh, and clean your camera lense and get rid of that black spot 😆

Joxster
    Free Member

Personally I’d leave it until you sell the car and then get the car resprayed so it looks immaculate and you’ll get a more for it.

Rich
    Free Member

I know!! Only just noticed that black spot today, another job to sort out!

Hey Takisawa, noticed your name over on Toyota Owners Club Forums, did you ever get hold of any Repair CD’s for the Verso?

Also, watch out for stone chips on the roof above the windscreen, I had a couple of rust bubbles, what a joke! 😡

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The camera will easily be repaired with a bit of painting, sanding and rubbing back…

😉

mk1fan
    Free Member

That can be repaired by a ‘stonechip’ guy. Where abouts in the country are you? I may know a local gimpman that’ll help you out.

swisstony
    Free Member

I’d leave that or get it done professionally as a diy spray job can often look worse than the scratch

PePPeR

Get it done professionally, the more you fiddle with it, the more it will cost to get it done properly!

Oh and I do what Joxster does, leave all the dents and nicks until its time to sell, then get them done once, rather than several little jobs at once. I’ve got a big dent in the front of my Sedonas Bumper, (wife tried to park a 6′ plus wide car next to a trolley bay in a supermarket) but I won’t get it repaired till I go to sell the car as the new bumper will only get scratched again.

Rich
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion – Member

The camera will easily be repaired with a bit of painting, sanding and rubbing back…

I’m good at that. 😉

I’m in Stafford, there is a Chipsaway guy down the road, cant hurt to get an estimate I suppose.

I don’t really want to leave it until I sell as I am planning on keeping the car 6+ years. Just to make it less noticeable would be better than nothing though.

MountainKing
    Free Member

Had something similar done by Chipsaway and have to say they did an awful job, it ended up looking worse than before they started. Am now thinking of getting it done by a proper body shop, should have done this in the first place.

Rich
    Free Member

Depends on how good your local guy is.

Del

conversely i had a pretty good job done by chipsaway. for the money they’re well worth a punt, and they do have a satisfaction guarantee..

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Best way to repair this – car paintwork content?’ is closed to new replies.