Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Bedside coffee maker
  • stwhannah

Every day I wake up and think my life would be significantly improved by having a coffee waiting for me beside me in bed. It doesn’t need to be fancy, it just needs to be not instant coffee. It would need to be small to fit beside my bed. And cheap because this is definitely a life luxury. And not just a kettle and aeropress because that requires a level of capability that I’m hoping the bedside coffee will achieve.

Any recommendations?

MoreCashThanDash

MrsMC is only 4’10 and finally mastered the aeropress – that meets a couple of the criteria?

matt_outandabout

Every day I wake up and think my life would be significantly improved by having a coffee waiting for me beside me in bed.

And you would be right.
    mrs_oab is woken with a freshly served cuppa every morning. Apparently it’s wonderful.
    I’m not small enough to fit on a bedside table. 😁

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kayak23

Might cost a bit to get him to sit there mind.

bigginge

sillysilly
    Free Member
    reeksy

I’m not sure i’d have a reason to get out of bed if the coffee was already there…

MoreCashThanDash

mrs_oab is woken with a freshly served cuppa every morning. Apparently it’s wonderful.

You see Hannah, look what you could have won, as they used to say on Bullseye.

dudeofdoom

TBH is there anything as ‘70s as a teasmaid,

I yearned for a Goblin 860 Teasmaid as a kid the slick ‘80s version, 🙂

I think I’d rather spend the money and have a nice bean2cup in the kitchen and have the joy of a fresh brew all day.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Mrs D_J has the luxury version that offers a choice of oat milk latte, tea with milk, or camomile tea, all served with rye sourdough toast.

Sounds like Mr Hannah needs to up his game 😀

chaos

Thing is I can’t see how it can work well anyway.  You don’t like instant and, to my mind anyway, that also rules out pre-ground coffee as it goes stale overnight, so you’re going to need someway of grinding the coffee beans next to your bed – cue noise, faff and probably having to actually get out of bed rather than just sit up.  Well, unless you have a bean2cup next to the bed of course but how big is your bedside table?!

jambourgie
    Free Member

Every day I wake up and think my life would be significantly improved by having a coffee waiting for me beside me in bed. It doesn’t need to be fancy, it just needs to be not instant coffee. It would need to be small to fit beside my bed. And cheap because this is definitely a life luxury. And not just a kettle and aeropress because that requires a level of capability that I’m hoping the bedside coffee will achieve.

I like your style. I’ve often pondered this over the years. But the milk problem always stumps me. Like you say, it needs to be ready, preferably activated by an alarm. No faffing with getting milk out of a fridge etc.

An important thread.

dudeofdoom

That

Barisieur Tea & Coffee Alarm Clock

Even has a fridge for the milk, but they don’t say how it gets there 🙂

stwhannah

Aww. You lot are just too cute.

Perhaps I need to apply for a visa for Mr Hannah on the grounds that he’s an essential worker? He is good at making coffee when he’s here, but I feel the need to reciprocate and bring him coffee too.

@bigginge
    have you used one of those? I saw them but wondered how much cleaning out was involved between cups. If you can make a few before you have to empty hoppers and such it might be a goer. Also wonder if you can use it with a normal mug without making a mess?

@sillysilly
    perhaps you could help out @tootight if that’s your idea of cheap!

@reeksy
    I think the coffee will spur me on to getting out of bed, unless I go for @kayak23’s solution.

dudeofdoom

Jura do a reasonably compact expresso bean2cup maker,but probably fails on the cost side.

stwhannah

@chaos I am not sensitive enough to notice Lidl ground coffee going stale overnight.

@jambourgie
    thank you recognising the importance of this issue. I think I have the milk problem solved by a) having a cold bedroom and b) using soya or almond milk, which seems a little less prone to turning. And an alarm activated option would be great, but I realise some personal sacrifice may be needed so I’m prepared to find the will to lean over and press a button after my phone alarm wakes me up, if needed.

jambourgie
    Free Member

One solution I sketched out is the automated Uber-Eats/Deliveroo order. It wouldn’t be to your actual bed of course but during the pandemic one could have items left on the doorstep. I think you’d need a developer on board to build a basic app that would place an order at say Costa Coffee at a pre-determined time. You could also rearrange your living arrangements so your bed is next to your front door… got to think outside the box.

MoreCashThanDash

You could also rearrange your living arrangements so your bed is next to your front door

I’m not homeless, I just choose to sleep in Costa’s doorway.

Superficial
    Free Member

got to think outside the box.

Surely this requires the 6-month development of some sort of Arduino-based C3PO robot that can grind (by hand, of course), tamp, and bring you a perfect Americano? Or at the very least, some sort of Wallace-and-Gromit-inspired contraption that pours boiling water inches away from your sleeping face.

P.S. The answer to the milk problem is not to drink (inferior) milky coffee. At first it starts out as laziness but then turns into snobbishness when you realise the cow juice just taints the coffee.

DrJ

Sleep in the kitchen?

igm

Keep an eye on De’Longhi’s eBay outlet.

Particularly when eBay do one of their 20% off deals.

We got a very nice “refurbished” bean-to-cup with about 60% off the best prices we saw in the shops.

It still had the blue plastic film on all the stainless parts.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/delonghiuk?_trksid=p2505460.m4084.l113337

Rubber_Buccaneer

Don’t lie there daydreaming, get up and make a coffee! Just think of all the hassle keeping this ‘dream’ device clean and stocked with beans etc and you know you should get off your lazy arse and go to the kitchen instead.

Or get a gullible partner/servant/slave to go make it for you

molgrips
    Free Member

If you’re happy with with filter then there are loads.

If you want milk there are tiny fridges available – this one for example is thermoelectric so won’t make any noise:

bluerob

The Barisieur lifestyle. Apparently it’s not quite the panacea you’d hope for given the price tag.

fooman

I’ve stayed in hotels where they have a Nespresso machine and little UHT milk sachets within reach of the bed.

I’m pretty sure my grandad has a Teasmaid but it was a long time ago an I was very small.

mogrim

Nespresso, just lean over hit the button and you’re done. Or a filter coffee machine on a timer switch.

captmorgan
    Free Member

Teasmaid, or instant boiler + coffee bags

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I think OP needs a servant.

Any other option is going to be faffy, noisy etc etc

northernmatt

One of these and a spoonful of Maxwell House

TiRed

My mother had a teasmade and used instant coffee for many years. A coffee bag would work just fine but the coffee might be weak. Or a willing servant. I have a teasmade and it’s a fine device. Had it for years. Laugh all you want, but morning tea in bed is lovely.

stealthcat

Filter coffee machine and a time switch worked for me in my Uni days. Except I put it on the other side of the room so I had to get out of bed to get the coffee…

The only snag was that I had to set it up the night before, but I could usually cope with that.

Cougar

Nespresso, just lean over hit the button and you’re done.

Beat me to it.

Is it the best coffee in the world? No. Is it infinitely better than instant? Hell yes.

I have a Nespresso machine which I, erm, liberated during an office move. I’d never have bought one in a million years, but having had every coffee machine from large filter machines to Aeropress to stovetop Mocca pots, I’ve probably had more use out of the pod machine than all the others combined. Small footprint, press one button and off it goes. (Tassimo has far more choice than Nespresso but I don’t think does long drinks?)

IHN

that also rules out pre-ground coffee as it goes stale overnight,

Oh behave, no it doesn’t.

Anyway, a little kettle, a timer plug (if you’re really that lazy that you can’t just hit a switch 😉 ), and a cafetiere.

molgrips
    Free Member

A coffee bag would work just fine but the coffee might be weak

Surely put the coffee bag in the mug and just let hot water dribble onto it, then you can leave it in as long as you want?

IHN

[obvious point] As for Nespresso and the like, coffee pods are environmentally appalling, if environmental appallingness is something you care about [/obvious point]

alpin
    Free Member

Sleep in the kitchen…..

IHN

He is good at making coffee when he’s here

Well, if MrHannah is going to let a simple thing like “being on different continent” get in the way of making his lady happy by making her a cup of coffee in the morning, then don’t you have to ask yourself whether he’s really the man for you?

jambourgie
    Free Member

(Tassimo has far more choice than Nespresso but I don’t think does long drinks?)

Right, that makes sense. An ex had one and used to moan at me for using about six pods for each drink. Doesn’t everyone drink coffee by the pint?

dyna-ti

Goblin tea maker.

Do they do coffee too ?.

😛

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Genuine question – why are you so dependent on coffee that you need it the minute you wake up?

Not enough sleep, too much alcohol, too much exercise ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.