Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Battle on the beach 2019, 6/7 April, who’s going?
  • gnusmas

The evening race is on the 6th and the main race on the 7th at Pembrey. Has anyone entered? Or anyone going to watch?

A friend has pushed me to get out and do something while they have the kids, so I will be there as a Marshall for both days.

rhinofive

I’ll be there again this year, and the speed I go at if you take your paintbrushes and a canvass you should be able to do a decent job of capturing me at ‘race pace’

bugpowderdust
    Free Member

We’ll be there for the sunday, we’ll be one of the three teams on tandems again this year.

IdleJon

I didn’t enter this year. (Not got much patience for the novelty of entering races in the early hours of New Years Day! And it also seemed considerably more expensive than the first few events but that is probably just me being mean.) I might ride down to watch.

postierich
    Free Member

Cannot think of anything worse than riding on sand and the flatlands

40mpg

Team Sumo will be in attendance* again. You won’t miss us! Pass a beer up if I’m still rolling😁

*Racing is overstating our pace

Trimix
    Free Member

I’m going to give it a go.

fatbikedog
    Free Member

Cant wait for it. My third year on the Surly Wednesday fat bike.

Twodogs

Third year I’ve entered…I plan to actually make it this year, on my Beargrease

mooman
    Free Member

IdleJon

Subscriber
    And it also seemed considerably more expensive than the first few events but that is probably just me being mean.)

Agreed – as is the way with such events – they do seem to be squeezing the titty to get every last drop out.
    Emphasised when they can run a days cyclocross there for around a quarter of the price of BOTB.

nedrapier

Anyone want an entry? I can’t make it. Loved it when I’ve gone. Weekend’s camping and organisation always seemed worth it to me.

Pm me or email in profile. Cheers!

gnusmas

And I’m here. Just about to enjoy a wood fired pizza and a nice cold beer before making my way to my marshal point 😁

Twodogs

Well that was really good fun…just under 2 hours, in perfect weather

Trimix
    Free Member

I really enjoyed it, just the right amount of banter during the race to take the edge off the pain. Weather was amazing. Expensive, but fun all the same. Finishing the night race by riding through the beer and music tent was great. Oh, an hearing the drummers on the final lap put a few extra watts into my otherwise empty legs.

Fetchezlavache
    Free Member

Another cracking weekend. Very well organised but I’m no sure how to solve the issue of the queues on a couple of the sandy uphill sections. You couldn’t ride up them due to the throng of stationary people in front…
    Weather couldn’t have been better and the “battle in the dark” is one hell of an intense 15 mins lol.
    Shame the course didn’t go through any of the tunnels like it used to – previously only did the 2nd BotB so don’t know how long they’ve been omitted…

I need more salsa bands in my life.

Be good to have links to any groups of pics to wade through on this thread…

gnusmas

It was a really good weekend, amazing event and a great atmosphere. Even if I was on my lonesome and didn’t really talk to anyone. First time for years I have been without kids so was a bit apprehensive but it was nice. A very peaceful serene Sunday evening under the stars, and a relatively relaxed day on Sunday.

Where I was marshaling on Saturday night, just off the singletrack sand dunes, I had a fair bit of entertainment. Quite a few offs, only one serious though. He had damaged his shoulder and needed medical attention but was OK on the whole. And I found a missing person that the police were looking for. Too dark for pics of the race itself on my phone, but got a short video.

I was marshaling a different crossing point on Sunday, near the adventure playground. Lovely day, ideal conditions. Was quite busy with people wanting to get across the course. Didn’t manage to get a lot of pics, but got some. Including one of rider 99, Tracey Moseley!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XEm8Nd5aL9k5Zcd57

Twodogs

I’m no sure how to solve the issue of the queues on a couple of the sandy uphill sections. You couldn’t ride up them due to the throng of stationary people in front…

This was only a problem for me on the first lap..cycled up them all second time around…the only bits of the course a fatbike had any advantage

fatbikedog
    Free Member

What a fantastic weekend. My third time and already looking forward to next year.

pjm84
    Free Member

Hi Twodogs (again)! And one of the team sumo who I kept swapping places with. I did offer you a wheel on the third lap when riding down the beach.

Have to say looking back I did enjoy the event. I rode the course on Saturday and it was an eye opener. Really enjoyed the single track stuff

Had quite a few spills typically due to the inability to uncleat quick enough. Thought I would attack the beach entry on the last lap and went straight over the bars (Sumo cruised passed me when I was “dusting” myself off)

gnusmas

Just seen this on the BOTB Facebook page.

Thanks to Lezyne & Upgrade Bikes rider images are all available online for free. Please visit our Facebook gallery where you can tag, share & comment. Anyone looking for a full res image will be able to get one from Anthony Pease Photography. http://ow.ly/qkf050pCG8A

rhinofive

Gnusmas – I’m the second rider through on your video………so everyone else was soon to ride past me as I followed the guy in front who went the wrong way right near the finish and we did a couple of laps of some picnic tables and rejoined the course where we’d left it

I tried to say ‘cheers’ to as many marshals as possible on the Sunday; hopefully got you, but if not have one now

emac65
    Free Member

Another fantasitc event – 3rd one for me & second time on a fatty. Already thinking how to improve on my time for next year.

Thing is with BOTB, you either get it or you don’t, & if you don’t get it then we probably don’t want you there as there’s more than enough people who do… 😉

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Battle on the beach 2019, 6/7 April, who’s going?’ is closed to new replies.