Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Basketball in the street?
  • longweight
    Free Member

My mums house in located in a quiet cul de sac with about 5 other houses. One of the neighbours has errected a basketball hoop on the front lawn and her kids (I’m guessing at about 18-20) play out in the street for hours on end sometimes up to 9:30pm at night.

I am not sure how to move this on, there is a purpose built basketball court within a 5 minute walk but they insist on playing in the street with the ball hitting the garage door / bins.

What would be the best way to stop this politely? I am tempted to go over and say something but I don’t want to upset my mums neighbours. Any one had any similar experiences?

Thanks

scu98rkr
    Free Member

What is the problem again ?

longweight
    Free Member

The fact that they are taking over the close and playing basketball for hours on end which is annoying most of the people in the surrounding houses

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

just have a word with the kids Mum!!

longweight
    Free Member

I think that is the best plan, only trouble is that she is never there!

Hairychested
    Free Member

Stop complaining and play with them.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

well just approch the guys and be polite! if you approched me and said “do you mind keeping the noise down” politly i would move on no probs at all

loddrik
    Free Member

Stop being so bloody miserable, they are not out robbing or fighting so just leave them to it.

longweight
    Free Member

We’ve tried speaking to them and they told us to chill out!

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

in that case have a chat with his mum if still no joy the neighbourhood vote/partition and send it to the council

thomthumb
    Free Member

if they’re kids go out steal the ball – stab it and give it back.

repeat until they get the message! 🙂

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

Go over and play him one on one for their court. Reject one of his shots in his face, clear the ball past the free throw line, drive in and dunk over them.
    High fives all round and you own their ass. If you don’t want to then get your mum to do it.

headfirst
    Free Member

you need these guys

billybob
    Free Member

what up to 9.30 at night? what time do you go to bed?

Wait a few years when the kids grow up & start having parties!

headfirst
    Free Member

the OP estimates their age at 18 – 20! Read carefully people!

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Is this is a wind up ?

trailmonkey

FFS, this sort of thing makes my p155 boil. Kids just can’t do sweet FA these days without some uptight gimp getting stressed out because their perfect world has been disturbed. Just have a think back to when we were kids, playing footy, hedge hopping, mass hide and seek in the street, all sorts of stuff that people now call the police to prevent kids from doing.The same people are then writing letters to well known publications to complain about the evil hoodies roaming the streets with nothing better to do than get into trouble.

dave360

“they told us to chill out!”

they is right

longweight
    Free Member

Ha I’m 22! I’m just asking what the best way would be to ask them to be at least a bit considerate I’m not trying to stop them altogether! I guess I might be a bit grumpy after spending 4 hours in A&E this morning….

I do remember making lots of noise when I was young but we did do it with a bit of consideration, messing about in the woods / rivers / parks.

Sorry for winding anybody up, just trying to find a happy medium

CaptJon
    Free Member

18 – 20 kids or 18-20 year olds?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I agree with the poster. You are entitled to some peace in your own home or you will go insane and end up in tears or prison! And while ball games are harmless fun, they do disturb the peace.

We used have problems with our neighbours kids (about 6 houses) who played ball games – the din was really disturbing. The argument is always “their kids, make allowances” and “better than them fighting and thieving”. Yes, being merely anti-social is better than being criminals I suppose.

Unfortunately, the parents were not understanding and they collectively victimised us until we moved away. My GF took six years to recover and she still gets jumpy when she hears a ball bounce.

I don’t know what to suggest as we didn’t really cope very well with the situation.

longweight
    Free Member

There are normally 5-6 kids ranging from 18-20

trailmonkey

Yes, being merely anti-social is better than being criminals I suppose

Kids play and make noise. They’re not being anti social, they’re just being kids. If they don’t have anything to do, they won’t stop being kids, they’ll try to keep themselves amused and often end up in trouble.

Kids, believe it or not are part of society. No wonder people in other parts of Europe think we’re a bunch of weirdos when it comes to our attitude to kids.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Kids, believe it or not are part of society. No wonder people in other parts of Europe think we’re a bunch of weirdos when it comes to our attitude to kids.

How very true!

scu98rkr
    Free Member

18-20 are adults not kids.

longweight
    Free Member

Well the mother doesn’t care if it is disturbing anyone which is a slightly ignorant view I think. I have no problem with them playing in the street, thats where kids play but it does get a bit much when they have 4-5 friends over and are playing loud music out in the street at 21:30PM….

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“They’re not being anti social”

In my case they were. You weren’t there.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

i can understand where your coming from, but it could be worse, they could just be milling about/swearing/drinking/fighting/throwing up/abusing people etc.

Fair chance, it’ll probably run it’s course after the summer.

Ask if you can join in, might be fun?

ps. me and my mates populated our cul de sack for at least 8 years, no swearing or anti-social behavior, just playing games and doing what kids do, there were only one couple who took offense, please don’t be that couple. I loved my childhood knocking about in the street!!

I’d take them up on the music thing though!

longweight
    Free Member

Yeah its not a bad thing having kids playing in the street and I don’t want my mum to be that person either as I have great memories of playing the street when I was younger, they have agreed to stop playing the music so I guess we’ll just have to see!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Basketball in the street?’ is closed to new replies.