Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)
  • Bands worth seeing live…
  • DezB
    Free Member

Almost as good as the Amazing Snakeheads singer nutting the bloke stood next to me for talking when he’d told him to stop. Now that was a proper gig.

ryan91
    Free Member

I can wholeheartedly say that The Darkness are brilliant live, saw them in Birmingham last year and they just kicked ass ! Seeing them again at Kendal Calling in two weeks 😀
    Papa Roach at the 2010 relentless tour were great, the response to “Between angels and Insects was the best I can remember at a gig.
    Enter Shikari were interesting, it was a constant mix of music with no defined tracks which may or may not impress but it did for me.
    Manics were good last year too.

Conversely I was very lukewarm with The Charlatans last year, felt a bit ‘dad at the disco’.However the only crap performance I can remember was watching S-Club 7 (down to 3) at a Butlins 90’s weekend, if bands were pets you’d have this one put down. Even Chesney Hawke afterwards gets merit for being a good sport.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Too many to narrow it down properly, but I’d say there’s a difference between a gig and a ‘show’

Rammstein are awesome, but it’s very much a ‘show’ with massive stage sets and even bigger fire. You’ll come out sweating whether you get involved in the mosh pit or not!

Thunder are astonishingly good and give a near HiFi performance every time. Very slickly produced.

But, my favs are the small proper gigs, just a simple stage set up and a handful of lights. So many I love to go and see, but some bands I just have to see everytime they pass through the UK. Top of that list for me is D-A-D. Earlier this year they did one UK date at the O2 Academy in Islington. They played two albums in full, Riskin’ It All and No Fuel Left for the Pilgrims. Fantastic night, fantastic dedicated fans.

allan23
    Free Member

But, my favs are the small proper gigs, just a simple stage set up and a handful of lights. So many I love to go and see, but some bands I just have to see everytime they pass through the UK. Top of that list for me is D-A-D. Earlier this year they did one UK date at the O2 Academy in Islington. They played two albums in full, Riskin’ It All and No Fuel Left for the Pilgrims.

Damn, check every so often if D.A.D. are touring and only every see the odd UK date after it’s happened 🙁

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

D-A-D must be one of the hardest working bands out there.

Get yourself on the mailing lists for the smaller London venues* and like them and the band on face book as well

* The Garage, Underworld, Electric Ballroom, The Forum, O2 Islington, Koko, etc.

control67
    Free Member

For psychobilly fans Demented Are Go! are always worth a watch, you never know what’s going to happen but you are guaranteed lots of latex, fake blood and sometimes a fight or two on stage, the Guana Batz and King Kurt also never disappoint.

Super Furry Animsls were always great live, at least around the Radiator/Guerilla era, it’s just a shame my memory of that era is a little…blurry.

I’m debating whether or not to go see the Dead Kennedys in October at the Islington Academy, part of me says do it, they are one of the best hardcore punk bands from the US, the other part says no Jello and a crappy corporate venue could make for a less than authentic show.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Soil & Pimp Sessions – up close if possible.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBGaFIlx-5U[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85MjAqge4cw[/video]

bellerophon
    Free Member

Carter USM (no longer playing live)
    Kodaline – fantastic sound and a light show to match
    The Gaslight Anthem
    Manics
    The Alarm – the sincerity in Mike Peters shines through
    Frank Turner
    AC\DC in 1985 blew me away

I find all live music special

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Papa Roach at the 2010 relentless tour were great, the response to “Between angels and Insects was the best I can remember at a gig.

I saw them around then. Most lack-lustre, play-by-numbers gig ever. Oxford Zodiac (or whatever it’s called now).

I should add – I don’t dispute they are good live (as they were incredibly tight) but the gig itself I went to was just incredibly flat and staged.

CountZero

So what most people on here think, is you need a time machine to see a decent gig? (or go now and see some old farts churning out the same stuff they’ve been playing for 30 years )
    Granted, I’d love to go back to a time before mobile effing phones, but there’s some fab new bands around now.

‘Course you don’t need a chuffing time machine, ‘cos there’s loads of bands still gigging because it’s what they do, and there’s stacks of amazing new bands too.
    Elbow are superb live, I’ve seen them six times, starting at the O2 Academy in Brissle, and three at the O2 Arena; Guy manages to make a five-six hundred capacity gig seem like a stadium, and a stadium like an intimate little pub gig.
    Arcade Fire are staggeringly good, one of the most amazing shows I’ve seen was at Earle’s Court a couple of years ago.
    The Joy Formidable are excellent, Blur at the IoW Festival were outstanding, never seen them before, and Damon worked his ass off, James surprised me as just how good they were, Moulettes are a fantastic new-ish band, really inventive progy folk, then there’s Lush, back after twenty years, and as good, if not better than back then, with new material as well.
    Belly are back after twenty years away as well, but no new material yet, it’s being written and recorded, but a fabulous live band, nor sheer pop Indy exuberance.

rickk

Live music is always a great chance to get your eyes (ears) opened – take any chance you can.

Having said that my preference would be to see a band I know well, or someone totally new.

Muse in Manchester were excellent.
    Surprised not to see a few more votes for Green Day.

jamj1974

Blur are excellent live – small venue or festival, no matter they do it well. Another one for me is Kula Shaker but lots of people don’t like them!

CountZero

Blur are excellent live – small venue or festival, no matter they do it well.

Damon at the IoW Festival last year, with security support!

gk74

Underworld at Glastonbury this year were amazing…..it just shouldn’t work but it really does, 20 years on….and that was before the born slippy moment!

Underworld

steveoath
    Free Member

Knuckledust are always brilliant, but in that London they are different class.
    Went with wife to Florence and the machine, really enjoyed that.
    Biffy Clyro
    Dialects (my mates band, but still great – playing the big sheffield tramlines festival thingy)
    Ignite (pretty much always spot on)
    Divide (local band in glasgow. Seeing them in Glasgow is the best gig ever).
    Shai Hulud
    Skid Row
    Mötley Crüe
    Alice Cooper
    Trace bundy (jaw droppingly good acoustic guitar player)

mikey74
    Free Member

Knuckledust? They are supporting Sick of it All (a great live band you must see) in August, on my birthday.

I’ve seen them a number of times, usually at hardcore all-dayers, back in the day (in London). They were good, but never managed to capture their sound in the studio that well.

Whilst I’m here:

Neurosis
    Rush (now retired)
    Iron Maiden
    Sick of it All
    Kreator
    Clutch
    Less Than Jake
    All Pigs Must Die
    Meshuggah
    Anaal Nathrakh

Immediately spring to mind, plus many others.

finephilly
    Free Member

I saw the fun lovin criminals at Glastonbury in 2000. That was **** amazing. I reckon you should go for something rock/metal . Id like to see the killers though.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

SFA, Gruff Rhys, Manics, Manu Chao

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Santa Cruz
    Inglorious

Both were great live at Donington this year.

fin25
    Free Member

Melt Banana (Best hardcore band fronted by Japanese librarian)
    The Boredoms (because I like drums)
    The Melvins (because riffs)
    Swans (very tense)
    Autechre (dark, loud, good with drugs)
    Lightning Bolt (look them up on youtube, you’ll see what I mean)
    Death Grips (MC ride scares me)
    Sunn 0))) (loudest thing ever)
    DJ Scotch Egg (more than just novelty gameboy breakcore)
    Aphex Twin (because he’s better than everyone else ever)
    Merzbow (only if you really, really like noise)

tomkerton
    Free Member

The Fratellis are splendid live and do lots of smaller summer festivals

pb2

Mmmhhhh this could run on for ever and for me a lot depends on the venue. Right or wrong I won’t do footy grounds or big stadiums like the o2 or MEN (or what ever its now called). My top ten in no particular order.

Rationale
    Betsy
    Tom Petty & Heartbreakers
    Ian Dury & Blockheads
    Dr Feelgood
    Graham Parker & Rumour
    Elbow
    Sex Pistols
    Major Lance
    Paolo Nutini

Underwhelming

Jam first UK tour
    Paul Weller solo
    Everything but the girl
    Van the Moody bastard Morrison
    Duffy

Ones I have missed and it hurts

Oasis
    Bruce “the boss” Springsteen
    Stevie Wonder
    Sonique
    Tracy Chapman
    Bowie
    Stones

Ps the majority of live music is miles better than the tele, films and bloody forums, more to follow

gowerboy

The Levellers

Baaba Maal.

Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Bands worth seeing live…’ is closed to new replies.