• This topic has 90 replies, 67 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by Cougar.
Viewing 11 posts - 81 through 91 (of 91 total)
  • Bands that were great, then weren’t
  • tomparkin

Mastadon, for me.

Up until (and including) Crack the Syke is great, thereafter not so much.

squirrelking
    Free Member

The Darkness. After permission to land they just turned into a comedy band

I thought that was their USP from day 1! 🙂

Wait, people took them seriously? 🤨

Anyway, only came here to say Muse. Agree with Cougar regarding GnR and FunkmasterP regarding Clutch.

Also Californication was shit. If they’re sober it doesn’t work, compare and contrast:

Northwind

doris5000

One more for the pot: The Wildhearts, who I was a MASSIVE fan of until 1996, and was so so gutted with Endless Nameless when it came out.

I bloody love E,N… But it was a hell of a change of direction. I like that you could get 50 lapsed wildhearts fans together and they’d give you 50 different reasons they got fed up with the band 🙂

batfink
    Free Member

Yeah – came here to say Kings of Leon and The Killers – after the first couple of albums it all became super insipid.  Particularly KoL who moved away from their high-energy style (velvet snow is a favorite).Such a shame, their early albums promised much.

However, also agree about Muse and the Foo Fighters (The Pretender was their last decent hit), and Queens of the Stone age (Who’s albums seem to contain so much filler).

I’m also inclined to agree with the Chilli Peppers, although I think By The Way was also excellent, if not quite as good as the Californication that preceded it.  By The Way, the Zephyr Song and Can’t stop are regulars on a lot of my playlists.

It’s difficult, because maybe they’re just as good but my taste has changed, or maybe they have evolved into a different style that I’m just not the audience for?  Also – maybe once rock bands reach a level of success, maybe they are not interested in producing music that’s particularly popular….. but is just what they want to make?

murdooverthehill

Camel

Caravan

yep, I’m an ex hippy oap

teenrat

Skindred.  All good upto Kill the Power (Union Black is excellent) then rapidly downhill into  commercial blandness.

funkmasterp

I got into them as I was “coming of age” into music when Bleed American came out and I loved it

Bleed American is a fantastic album. A perfect pop/rock record. I was disappointed with all of their output before and after it.

pondo

It’s difficult, because maybe they’re just as good but my taste has changed, or maybe they have evolved into a different style that I’m just not the audience for?  

This. Blood Sugar is one of my favourite albums, but the non-funk straight rock/pop stuff they’ve done ever since does next to nothing for me.

fasgadh
    Free Member

OMD

Stanlow, the last track on Organisation was awesome. After that, they lost me completely.

_tom_
    Free Member

Arctic Monkeys is the first one that comes to mind. First album was brilliant and I still love it. They got worse every album, AM has a few good songs on it then they went extra shit, the latest album is unlistenable imo.

Mastodon after Crack The Skye. The later albums still have some good stuff on them but it’s not a patch on those first few albums.

Agree with Jimmy Eat World after Bleed American too.

Cougar

T’Pau.

No, wait, come back.

For a long while my favourite band.  Bridge Of Spies was a tour de force, every song on it is a barnstormer and this is a hill I will die on.  The follow-up to that was Rage and it was a solid album.  The Promise was bombastically over-produced but it was alright.  Then the band folded, the brand became Carol + session musicians, she leaned into really poor Dance Music angles rather than the Power Pop / Rock that made them famous and it all went a bit to custard.

Cop for this.

Viewing 11 posts - 81 through 91 (of 91 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.