Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 149 total)
  • Banana skins
  • Coyote
    Free Member

I just find is astonishing that so many of you consider littering to be acceptable

Take your rubbish home and stick in the compost / recycling bin. Glass is only melted sand. Over the years it will erode back down. Is it acceptable to chuck bottles?

Take nothing but photos leave nothing but footprints is how we should all operate

Is this really so inconvenient to do? Really?

konaboy2275
    Free Member

To be honest I’d be more worried about the spread of himalayan balsam and Japanese knotweed. They cause far more loss / damage to habitats than the introduction of a few rotting banana skins.

uplink
    Free Member

I just find is astonishing that so many of you consider littering to be acceptable

I find it astonishing that some folks prefer to send it to landfill with all the resources attached to doing that

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

uplink – compost at home?

GrahamS

you may as well call skimming stones littering as I have moved them from one place to another.

You mad fool Junky, do you know how long those stones take to degrade? 😉

soma_rich
    Free Member

TJ thought you lived in a flat? How can you compost in a flat?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If some littering is acceptable such as banana skins then why not dog shit, horse shit,

Nowt wrong with poo as long as it’s out of the way. I wouldn’t pick dog poo up in the middle of a forest, put it that way!

———————

Still no facts on Banana skins altering soil composition Teej, just a random comment:

PP – its the potassium in them

So? Soil has potassium in it.

However, even clay soils can become depleted in potassium where considerable quantities are removed in farm produce, eg. hay
    and silage.
    Potassium in the soil solution is subject to leaching*. It is more readily leached than phosphorus, less so than
    nitrate nitrogen.

http://www.incitecpivot.com.au/zone_files/PDFs/Potassium_Factsheet.pdf

So, reading that, THE best pace to chuck them is in a farmer’s field!

*Leaching. Meaning it washes out. Areas like mountains where it might change the soil composition will have a higer than average rainfall to wash it out.

RustySpanner

I find discarded banana skins make an excellent emergency condom.

Haven’t had a sheep tick in ages.

stumpy01

Rusty Spanner – Member
    I find discarded banana skins make an excellent emergency condom.

Haven’t had a sheep tick in ages.

😀 ❗

Thetford would look ace with the odd banana tree here & there.

Banana trees dotted around the countryside could be a snack source for ramblers and mountain bikers….!?

I’m joking, before anyone get on their high horse……

yunki
    Free Member

I’m joking, before anyone get on their high horse……

or Giraffe..

maxray
    Free Member

What about your pish? Should you take that home or are you ok to alter the ecology with it? I would bet lots of money you had taken a leak on your various highland adventures Teej 😉

Imho a “2 year” to degrade skin is preferable to a gel wrapper or similar. 1000 skins on the whole of Ben Nevis isn’t going to change the ecosystem that much surely?

And also .. 2 years to degrade!! How come they go brown in the space of a ride when crammed in my Camelbak! 😀

timc
    Free Member

Take nothing but photos leave nothing but footprints is how we should all operate

So we shouldnt really be even eating banana’s?? should be left on the trees?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Maxray – If I took my pish home I would need a trailer. I mean you must have seen the amount of pish I can generate 🙂

Seriously the MCofS now support a taking your poo home if bothying / wildcamping in many corcumstances

clubber
    Free Member

Yeah but us Englishers (obviously that includes Silicone Scots…) don’t care what they say 😉

wwaswas

Seriously the MCofS now support a taking your poo home if bothying / wildcamping in many corcumstances

I still think you;re missing the point most people are making TJ.

For most of us it’s not about visiting some remote region of the uk that takes all day to reach, it’s about mucking about in the woods on the outskirts of town or pootling around local lanes.

Most people seem to be able to grasp the difference between the two (those that proclaim they don’t might be trying to wind you up, tbh).

clubber
    Free Member

I think you’re missing the point. TJ has issued a diktat and we must blindly follow irrespective of relevance or common sense.

wwaswas

TJ has issue a diktat

stw = Banana Republic now, then?

😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

wwaswas – and my point is that if its wrong in one place its wrong everywhere 🙂

I am against littering of any sort in any place. there is no difference – banana skins are unsightly, take a long tome to degrade and attract vermin.

Your argument is that some littering is acceptable depending on the place. So dumping rubble on a brownfield site is acceptable? How about plastic bags full of dog poo. I mean its an old railway after all not some pristine part of the countryside.

Either is is acceptable to litter or it is not.

clubber
    Free Member

Only in the world where everything is black or white and simple and only in your opinion. Mine differs.

scruff
    Free Member

FWIW, Cannock Chases ‘Monkey Trail’ is so called as the trailbuilders were lobbying loads of banana skins into the trees during its construction.

soma_rich
    Free Member

and my point is that if its wrong in one place its wrong everywhere

Now your just trolling.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So where do you draw the line then? Two extremes. Top of cairngorm – no banana skins. Woods behind nationwide swindon – banana skins are OK to chuck.

How do you draw a line? If its OK for one person to chuck them in one place then surely its right that everyone chucks them the whole time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categorical_imperative

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

soma_rich – Member

and my point is that if its wrong in one place its wrong everywhere

Now your just trolling.

Really? 😈

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

OK, I’ve done some rough maths

It’s hard to find out how much potassium is in a banana SKIN, but a banana typically had 450mg in it apparently. Lets be over cautious and say a skin has double the amount the fruit does (900mg) and then round it up for easy maths – 1000mg. One gram.

From my potassium factsheet I posted earlier, soils range from 0.5% – 4.0% potassium content

So, worst case, one banana skin has the same potassium content as 200g of soil.

But that’s released over 2 years…….

Hardly earth shattering is it?

wwaswas

TJ – so if it’s ok for me to have a dump in the toilet at home I can have a dump in the yoghurt aisle at Sainsburys?

Often, there are different rules for different places, not one rule for everywhere.

One adjusts ones behaviour to suit the circumstances, surely?

soma_rich
    Free Member

So where do you draw the line then?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_sense

retro83
    Free Member

oh shit i’ve been saving mine especially to dump on the mountainside 🙁

jon1973
    Free Member

Hardly earth shattering is it?

Even if it was, it’s not a problem that’s going to be solved by composting it at home or putting it in to landfill rather than disposing of it while you’re out and about.

uplink
    Free Member

I can feel the Edinburgh defence being prepared

😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Read the post about pish 🙂

brassneck

If I see an energy bar wrapper I pick it up and take it home.

If I see a banana skin I might flick it in the hedge, I porbably wouldn’t.

Am I going to hell?

bigyinn
    Free Member

TEEEEJJJ moaner
    take a long tome to degrade and attract vermin.

War and peace acceptable?

stumpy01

We shouldn’t really be eating bananas in the first place, should we?
    Shipped over 1000’s of miles, they probably do more damage from the delivery process, than chucking the skin into the undergrowth in the depths of Thetford Forest.

Most countryside has already been massively affected by human intervention anyway. If left to it’s own devices, it wouldn’t look anything like it does.
    Everything we do has an impact – planting some crops, building a trail centre, digging a ditch, diverting a watercourse.

COMMON SENSE should allow us as human beings to work out whether it is acceptable to discard a fruit skin in a certain location without turning into eco-vandals.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Day off or late shift today TJ??

uplink
    Free Member

Shipped over 1000’s of miles

bit like buying bicycles really

Junkyard
    Free Member

Hypothetical imperatives compel actions in given circumstances:

* if I wish to quench my thirst, I must drink something;
    * if I wish to acquire knowledge, I must learn.

A categorical imperative, on the other hand, denotes an absolute, unconditional requirement that asserts its authority in all circumstances, both required and justified as an end in itself. It is best known in its first formulation:

You see the enetire world in the later form most of us see it in the former
    So for example thoiugh shall not kill…well I agree with it but in self defence I would so it is not categorical
    TBH it is quite hard to think of categoricals that apply all the time for most of us TJ

How far are the attracted vermin commuting for this snack? They are there allready and tbh if it attracted vermin it would decompose quicker would it not

timc
    Free Member

stumpy01 – Member
    Shipped over 1000’s of miles, they probably do more damage from the delivery process, than chucking the skin into the undergrowth in the depths of Thetford Forest.

Most countryside has already been massively affected by human intervention anyway. If left to it’s own devices, it wouldn’t look anything like it does.
    Everything we do has an impact – planting some crops, building a trail centre, digging a ditch, diverting a watercourse.

COMMON SENSE should allow us as human beings to work out whether it is acceptable to discard a fruit skin in a certain location without turning into eco-vandals.

Amen…

mt
    Free Member

TJ I’m with you all the way on this. It’s depressing to read that we share the country with those that don’t really care for it. Our beautiful country is just a play area for many who have absolutely no respect for it and it’s future.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

How far are the attracted vermin commuting for this snack? They are there allready and tbh if it attracted vermin it would decompose quicker would it not

Yes, but in TJWorld, the vermin will know IN ADVANCE that the banana skin will be discarded, so will begin breeding in advance to take advantage of this bounty. Then, because all cruelty is cruelty, whether that be to a fluffy bunny or a rat, not continuing to feed them is cruel, and next thing the whole area will be covered in static caravans.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Our beautiful country is just a play area for many who have absolutely no respect for it and it’s future.

thats BS we do, we just view letting something rot as aceptable in certain circumstances.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 149 total)

The topic ‘Banana skins’ is closed to new replies.