Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Bamburgh area, shortish gravel rides ?
  • iainc

Heading to a cottage in Waren Mill next weekend for 6 nights with family. We know Northumberland well, having holidayed, mainly a bit further south near Morpeth, for the past decade or so. Have found some decent rides in that area, but haven’t tried much up near Bamburgh. If I take the bike, I’ll have a ride opportunity in the mornings, post dog early walk and before teenagers surface, so a 2hr window probs.

I’m not so keen on some of the narrow roads, which to me seem to have high hedges, poor visibility and often careless tourists in cars ! Are there any quiet traffic, good scenery nearby routes, from the door ?

sillysilly
    Free Member

You’ve got the national coastal cycle path nearby heading down past Warkworth / Alnmouth. Good spots to stop off for beer and ice cream on the way.

ElShalimo

Go from the digs to St Cuthbert’s cave via Belford. From their it’s mostly gravel tracks to the cave and come back over the hill thru the woods to Detchant and back on quiet lanes

The coastal route from Scremerston to Holy Island is mostly gravel/tracks.

ElShalimo

The section of NCN from Embleton to Alnmouth has a fair bit of gravel/tracks and is stunning coastal riding. It’s about 10 miles with 2 very decent cafes in Alnmouth.  The back lanes from Warren Mill South to Seahouses and beyond are really quiet and not the best quality so ideal for gravel/hybrid bikes

Drac

St Cuthbert’s Cave is a good call. As is the cycle way and you can come inland or head north to join the sandstone way.

iainc

Excellent ideas, many thanks

iainc

thanks ElShalimo for the links etc, I have a few rides in the planning, and the weather so far looks decent for next week. Just got to decide which gravel bike to take now ! Fast and light (carbon Diverge) or fun and furious (Topstone Lefty) 🙂

ElShalimo

Take both for double the fun

🤪😎🙃

iainc

^^^ haha, don’t think I’d get away with that ! Topstone it shall be 😁

iainc

A quick explore before the family get up and sorted 👌

DrJ

Nice. I just bought the Ted Liddle book and did a couple of the rides. Really enjoyed them.

iainc

I bought the book too, though not had much of a look yet, going to take the lanes and paths to St Cuthberts tomorrow. Today was some coastal path and some NCN.

ElShalimo

Great photos .. keep them coming

iainc

^^ rest days today and tomorrow as the youngsters have all arrived with us, so family time involving top nosh, Joiners Arms lunch today, followed by long walk south from Low Newton and back to The Ship Inn fo a beer, now back in cottage and pool tournament underway while fajitas cook and wine goes down 😁

Drac

Lovely.
    Try try Potted Lobster at Bamburgh, a bit high end on prices but worth it. The butcher’s Carters has opened a little restaurant now too, supposedly excellent.

ElShalimo

If you ride over to Holy Island, The Barn at Beal cafe is great

iainc

Did the st cuthberts and Detchant area yesterday, some lovely quiet trails and lanes

iainc

Drac
    Lovely.
    Try try Potted Lobster at Bamburgh, a bit high end on prices but worth it.

they couldn’t give us a table today for 5 plus dog so went to the beer garden out the back at The Castle Inn, which was ideal, the Cullen Skink was sublime and the sun was warm 👌. A long beach walk with family and dog from Bamburgh to Seahouses and back tired us all out, vino recovery now 🤪.

A warm and sunny coast back road bimble in the morning, hopefully, home Friday.

It really is a horrible place to holiday….. 😁

ElShalimo

It all sounds very stressful

🙃

iainc

Aye, stressful indeed 🤪👌🌞

downshep

Good god in Govan Iain, will you stop posting pictures of that gurning coupon so close to lunchtime! Scenery looks top notch though.

iainc

🤪😁

bennyboy1
    Free Member

ianc – enjoying following your ride updates.

I’m heading up near Alnwick in June for a mini-break with my wife, we’ve never visited Northumberland before. I won’t be biking but we’ll be getting good walks in, wondered if you could recommend some nice walking routes? We’ll certainly be doing Bamburgh area on one day.

iainc

We tend to do coast walks with the dog, our fave is starting at Craster, with some lunch, then walk along past Dunstanburgh castle, Embleton beach and stop and turn at the Ship Inn at Low Newton, after sampling some of their lovely microbrewery beer !

Similar lovely along and back walks at Amble and Beadnell. Away from the coast there is a myriad of stuff, but we don’t know it really to describe.

ElShalimo

I think the Northumberland tourist board should cut and paste the various threads from here on to their website

😎

We’re heading up that way for a long weekend in early July. Can’t wait 🚴‍♀️🍻⛰️⛱️

gobuchul
    Free Member

We’ll certainly be doing Bamburgh area on one day.

Bamburgh to Beadnell is a lovely walk.

Pint in the Craster Arms in Beadnell, or the Olde Ship in Seahouses.

Take a trip to the Farne Islands, absolutely stunning in June.

dlr

Great thread and photos etc but can we all please remember there is nothing to see up here in the proper north so please don’t everyone invade 😉

dlr

Nice walking around Warkworth along the coast, the castle etc and I had the best steak and ale pie I’ve ever had in the Mason Arms last night after returning from walking at St Abbs (which is a stunning place, can walk for miles along the cliffs, 4 billion sea birds nesting etc but it is ‘abroad’ and not Northumberland so I won’t mention it….)

DrJ

Try try Potted Lobster at Bamburgh, a bit high end on prices but worth it.

Seconded. On the other hand, don’t try Fish Shack or Old Boathouse in Amble. Also recommended by Hairy Bikers but dire service and dubious food.

Cycling-type scran at Courtyard Coffee Shop in Beadnell.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.