Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • Baked potatoes
  • Merak

Something I’ve just never managed to nail. 6.5 hours in a conventional oven, 45 in a microwave, 10 in an air fryer?

How do you do yours? Help me own these things.

CheesybeanZ

For a quite lunch- microwave with topping of choice, do properly in the oven, about an hour and half.

jaminb
    Free Member

12 mins in the microwave plus a further 30 mins in the oven for a crispy skin

cp

6 and a half hours in the oven?! Is anything left?

A microwaved potato is not a baked potato.

Rediscovered potatoes done in the embers of a fire whilst camping this summer. Can’t be beaten though not the most practical at home.

I tend to do a couple of hours in the oven for staple baked potatoes.

Actually we’ve got some massive spuds in the cupboard this week, this has reminded me to batch cook dinner tomorrow to reheat at work. Valid user of microwave 🙂

fazzini

Flame me now…

McCains frozen ones for quick and easy.

@jaminb
    for the ‘effort’ version. No idea for air fryer version of this but interested as putting the oven on, I can watch pound coins leaving my bank account

scotroutes

Couple of hours in the oven works for me.

Prepare by piercing, brushing with olive oil, then liberal salt and pepper before baking. I prefer sweet potato but Mrs S is a traditionalist. 

alric
    Free Member

put them in the microwave for 4 mins then in the oven with the chicken steaks for 25 minutes

garage-dweller

Oven for the flavour / texture win

Microwave for 5 minutes or so, dash of oil, salt and pepper and then 20-30 in the oven for speed and thrift while acceptable eating

Microwave only – no. What you have cooked there is a steamed potato in its skin.  If you must do this may I suggest stew with a puff pastry lid and some of those frozen mixed vegetables for the full disappointment experience.  😝

politecameraaction
    Free Member

McCain’s frozen. They’re always perfect. Still 55 mins in the oven tho.

thenorthwind

~10 minutes in the microwave to cook through. 5-10 minutes in the air fryer to crisp up (quicker if you halve them).

Also partial to a slow cooker baked potato – a completely different beast though.

Surprised no-one’s said just chuck them in your woodburner…

Merak

Looks like a nuclear blast for 5 then oven for 30 is the winner. I’ve got some Bolognese and way to much cheese for the top. Yass.

matt_outandabout

👆

Smear some butter, salt and pepper on them as you wop them in the oven.

timf

5 minutes in the microwave, then  switch on oven and put in oven whilst it is heating up,  when oven up to heat 25 minute alongside something else theat is cooking in oven. 

kayak23

Wang into a bowl, toss in a bit of olive oil and some salt, then about 55 minutes in the air fryer at maybe 200.

Perfection.

Nearly as good as me granny used to make in the Aga.

Houns

Rub with oil and salt, pop in oven, about 10 mins before taking them out whack the temp right up

slowoldman

chicken steaks

Come again.

Cougar

This, basically. Ding for like 20m turning every 5, drizzle with olive oil then in the oven for about the same. Time depends on spud size / amount.

doris5000

Looks like a nuclear blast for 5 then oven for 30 is the winner.

Just remember to up the microwave time if you’re doing more than one potato.

didnthurt

Cut a cross in the top. Rub with oil and salt. Microwave for 10 minutes and finish in the oven on 200C for 10 minutes.
    After being cooked, cut in half, cover with grated cheddar and lots of Worcestershire sauce. Grill until the cheeese is well done. 👌🤤

desperatebicycle

My mum, purchaser of many an interesting Christmas present, one year, gave me a baked potato bag… yep, you put your spud in it, microwave it. Takes 4 – 5 mins. I always put it in a really hot oven for 15-25 mins afterwards (no, not in the bag) to crisp up the skin. Plus add about a lb of salted butter. Lovely. 😀

thecaptain
    Free Member

Ding for like 20m

Is your microwave battery-powered?

20m in mine would cremate a potato, unless yours are the size of pumpkins.

slowoldman

Cougar

Is your microwave battery-powered?

20m in mine would cremate a potato, unless yours are the size of pumpkins.

I tend to do four at once. Who has one potato other than Rhod Gilbert?

myti
    Free Member

1.5 to 3 hrs in the oven about 180ish depending on size and impatience levels. The longer the better for nice thick crunchy skin. Have tried oiling and salting but I think the end result is more down to the variety and quality (age?) of the potato than fiddling with that. Microwave potatoes can get in the sea.

rOcKeTdOg

I just put them in the oven until they are done. You can tell by giving them a squeeze. Usually 2-2.5hrs, plenty of time to go for a pint while your waiting

colournoise

Oven. 1 1/2 hours at 200.

Nukerowave (4 spuds). 15 minutes at full nuke, then 45 minutes in oven at 200.

Air Fryer. Still experimenting but feels like for a couple of spuds 45 to 60 minutes at 180 on ‘bake’ setting works.

No oil, no salt, no nothing.

Mrs Noise would up all those times but she prefers the skins like dried out old leather…

dyna-ti

Another baked potato failure here. Just never managed to crack the method. Always too hard. Soft and fluffy is a distant dream.

Davesport

Possibly the most thought provoking thread this month. Im in the microwave>smear with lard/butter/oil>air-fryer camp.

mattyfez

Baked potatoes are overrated… unless you wrap it in foil and chuck it on a fire… baking them for hours on end in an oven just seems really inefficient for just one or two tatties. Baking 6 at a time, maybe I could get on board with that.

But there’s no way I could eat six big tatters in one sitting, it’s not just the carbs, they would need about half a kilo of cheese and a whole pack of butter.

And 3 tins of beans.

kayak23

Baked potatoes are overrated…

Reported

prettygreenparrot

Some breeds of potato work better than others. Generic ‘white’, ‘red’, and the like can be a bit hit and miss.

I don’t make baked potatoes often but they turn out very good from a combi oven.

Steam-Baked Potatoes by Carlene Thomas RDN for Anova Precision® Oven.
    https://oven.anovaculinary.com/recipe/7T0bt87pCvjnA1QQwJpp

nuke

Wang into a bowl, toss in a bit of olive oil and some salt, then about 55 minutes in the air fryer at maybe 200. Perfection.

Now as an air fryer owner, this is the best method 👌

MoreCashThanDash

McCains frozen ones for quick and easy.

Lived on these when we had our kitchen redone. Surprisingly good.

Otherwise, 2 hours in the oven

flyingpotatoes
    Free Member

To help with cooking in the oven, put a teaspoon into the potato. Push the handle into it with the spoony part sticking out. Cover potato with foil as normal. The spoon gets hot and helps cook the middle of a large spud.

this-morning-itv-potato-4527280~2

ransos
    Free Member

Combi microwave FTW. Cooking time is calculated by weight.

Cougar

Always too hard.

As above, ding ’em first.

One thing I forgot and I don’t think anyone else has mentioned, give them a good stabbing with a fork all over before microwaving.

Cover potato with foil as normal.

Huh? It’s an oven, not a bonfire.

flyingpotatoes
    Free Member

Huh? It’s an oven, not a bonfire

Can’t please everyone

robertajobb

Combi microwave.  Best of both worlds.

20 mins for 2 large spuds.  Microwave setting on ‘simmer’ and convection oven setting on 220C.  

No need to d1ck around changing ovens  and uses plenty less leccy than a true oven

simondbarnes

Microwaving? Foil? Oil? FFS.

Just stick a skewer through the potato and bung it in the oven at 200 for 60-90mins depending on how big the potato is. Crispy skin, fluffy inner.

flyingpotatoes
    Free Member

It’s a f@##ing potato

No need to be dicks about it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.