Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)
  • Back to work sandwich recommendations – that aren’t cheese
  • slowol

Cheese and pickle is the only sandwich you need. Homemade chutney makes it great every day!
    Failing that brie and grape.
    If lazy but want some of the above shop bought sandwich fillings are OK although pricier. I’m thinking the ready mixed tuna sweetcorn or coronation chicken.
    A side salad males more of a meal of a sandwich lunch.

binners

This…

with this…

Crap white bread, obvs. Looks like a murder scene. Tastes bloody lovely

configuration
    Free Member

Suggestions for other things to go in between two slices of bread that aren’t meat or cheese?

Erm… Er… Hmm… Ooh no wait…

No; you’ve got me. No idea. Soz.

That makes me feel sick just looking at it.

I know, right? I mean; what the actual? 🤢

binners

If you get bored with butties, remember that wherever you are in the UK, you’re never more than 20 ft away from….

What a time to be alive! 😃

defblade
    Free Member

Heinz Sandwich Spread.

I prefer the tuna and sweetcorn version, but it slowly disappeared from everywhere some years ago, so it’s back to the original.

If I fancy a change (every couple of months or so), I go for cheese and pickle, using Lidl’s finest spreading cheese and Branston Small Chunk Pickle. If you use proper slices of cheddar, they fall out and drop pickle all down your tie.

slowol

Make like you’re in Wigan and put a pie in your roll.

sillyoldman

Good shout – is OP from Tweed Valley? Think that’s right. If so – off to Forsyth’s for a macaroni pie and stick that in a roll. Cheese element is diluted somewhat my the carbs and cheap fats.

binners

Who doesn’t love double carbs?

scruffythefirst
    Free Member

Fish fingers with HP sauce.

Chips\crisps\both

Jam (with cheese)

Those packets of microwave beans or rice with some carrots or lettuce in a wrap.

mogrim

Who doesn’t love double carbs?

Fully paid up southerner here, north of the Thames I get a nosebleed, but that looks ******* great!

thenorthwind

Some great ideas here, thanks.

I do the falafel thing fairly often, though the ready made ones from Aldi are letting my sandwich game down with their dryness. Their sweet potato pakoras are a bit better. I’m more of a lime pickle (homemade) guy than mango chutney, but each to their own.

Grated carrot mixed with peanut butter, bit of chilli jam ( or anything with spice) squeeze of lime.

@joshvegas
    this is genius!

Finely grated carrot and cumin seed – useful wet mix that goes with hummus, cheese, even on its own at a push

Like that idea @stwhannah. And I survived, thanks, despite the best efforts of the IT department to make me walk before I’d even done a day. Re. food flasks, my experience of them is that they all end up tasting slightly of a mix of everything that’s ever been in them I’m afraid.

Smoked Tofu in mayo.

@thisinotaspoon Interesting, will try.

@hunta
    Marmite and peanut butter sandwich is my go-to lunch (at home, at work, out on the bike, wherever) when I’m completely lacking in time or imagination to make anything else. That’s not meant as an insult, BTW, I bloody love it, I just shouldn’t have it for lunch every day.

@binners
    I work in Newcastle city centre, I have to ride past about 7 Greggs’ just to get to the office. Though if I were doing it properly, I’d make a small detour to go to the Greggs outlet shop on my way in.

BillMC

peanut butter and banana – food of the gods

thenorthwind

Agreed. At its most divine on a cinnamon and raisin bagel.

But I can’t get my head round the idea of lunch not being a mainly savoury affair.

Kryton57

A) Beetroot cheese and salad cream

B) Sausages and marmalade.

Both need to be tried to be believed, the last tastes like sweet and sour pork and ideally is toasted.

slowol

My mind is just blown by the concept of Gregg’s Outlet!
    I think I’d be much fatter if one of those was close to work.

MrOvershoot

Just remembered what I used to take to school in sandwiches!!!!

in this order between home-made granary bread:

Marmite, Strong Cheddar, Peanut Butter, Sour Cherry Jam.

I was riding over 40 miles a day on that mixture and never felt hungry! So why the bloody hell do I feel hungry these days by midday after zero miles and doing bugger all after breakfast?

mattyfez

Tinned Mackrell, salt pepper bit of mayo and red onion on malted….

Mackrell with a drizzle of chilli sauce is the food of the gods, slightly toasted bread is best, but the bread is just the delivery mechanism.

Cougar

Make like you’re in Wigan and put a pie in your roll.

No Wiganer ever used a ‘roll’. A barmcake maybe, or an oven bottom.

No.

Yes.

frankconway

Either jam or marmalade so…
    Jam – strawberry, raspberry, cherry, plum, apricot, peach, fig, blackberry, blackcurrant, blueberry, bilberry, greengage, gooseberry, rhubarb.
    Marmalade – lemon, lime, orange; thin or thick cut.
    Fabulous!

TiRed

Peanut butter and banana (+1).
    Jam and clotted cream
    Goats cheese and chilli jam (savoury version of the above)

temudgin

Beetroot, chopped walnuts with a dollop of horseradish sauce. Yummy

survivor

Here’s a something different

Some of last night’s veg with cheap packet noodles or cous cous and tinned fish.

You get one of your five a day and maintain a glossy coat thanks to the fish oil!

dyna-ti

Cornflakes and mayo.

Trust me :wink:

binners

@cougar- the king of all bread products, and the only one to consider for the Wigan Kebab…

fazzini

Mmmmm…Sheldons oven bottom muffins make the perfect bacon butties.

binners

Indeed. We discovered another key ingredient to the perfect bacon butty last weekend. This stuff is amazing!!

Butties must always have butter on, as margarine is the devils ejaculate, but this stuff is on another level

jonnyboi

No butter in a bacon butty. I’d have no qualms about eating all of that M&S butter with some champ or a baked spud though.

FuzzyWuzzy

Can of tuna, cream cheese, squirt of ketchup and salad cream/mayo (all mixed together)

Crunchy peanut butter (even better with a bit of added salt) & Bonne Maman Black Cherry jam

andy4d

A bit of pesto on the bread, add slices of cucumber, tomato and mozzarella and some lettuce. Sometimes a drizzle a bit of a balsamic viniger glaze over the top.

mert
    Free Member

Re. food flasks, my experience of them is that they all end up tasting slightly of a mix of everything that’s ever been in them I’m afraid.

I’ve thrown a few away thanks to that. The current one (genuine stainless Thermos King Food Flask) has so far resisted spicy tomato soup, creamy fish dishes and assorted chinese, indian and south american spiced foods with no pick up of flavour.
    Just gets a spoon of bicarb and boiling water once a week. (and washed normally every time it’s used.)

oikeith

Nandos Sweet Chilli Jam and some Lite Mayo turned bland chicken sandwiches into something lovely, if we have some in the house I’ll add red onion and lettuce too.

antigee

OK so it’s cheese but no mention of cottage cheese?….as to butter or spread…never ever used…one of the offspring antigees thinks you can’t make a sandwich without Nutella

slowoldman

Smoked mackerel (you don’t have to fish/smoke it yourself, it comes in packs), beetroot (again available cooked in packs), spread bread with horseradish sauce instead of butter.

binners

@slowoldman – I’m definitely trying that! I’m a big fan of corned beef and beetroot butties too. I bloody love beetroot! Have you tried this? It sounds right up your stasse

Its bloody lovely!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Egg

configuration
    Free Member

If you get bored with butties, remember that wherever you are in the UK, you’re never more than 20 ft away from….

That probably contains rat DNA in some form…

I’ve just had a Pastrami, French blue cheese and Picallili sandwich. Meat, cheese and pickle. Pretty much the Holy Tinity of sandwich fillings.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Primula (particularly the ham flavor one) and a crusty baguette is childhood memories of picnics for me, don’t ruin it!

Prawn flavor cheese though just sounds wrong though.

finephilly
    Free Member

Grated carrot with hummus in a wrap, maybe some lemon juice.

Cougar

Prawn flavor cheese

… probably needs showering off before morning.

binners

Primula (particularly the ham flavor one) and a crusty baguette is childhood memories of picnics for me, don’t ruin it!

@thisisnotaspoon
    – As a big fan of Primula with ham, could I recommend this as an accompaniment to it

Referred too as crack cocaine bread in our house due to its addictive qualities

If you want to be a bit more grown up about it, its also awesome with blue cheese or smoked salmon pate. I can sit and trough a whole baguette, no problem

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.