Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Are there any BB30 bottom brackets that aren’t made of cheese?
  • binners

Does such a thing exist?

It doesn’t seem to make any difference how much you pay for them, they all seem to last 6 months, tops.

So at the moment, I’m just off down to the LBS to get them to shove the cheapest, shittest one they’ve got in, to replace the expensive FSA ceramic one that started creaking last night, and by the time I got home sounded like a pepper grinder, having lasted no longer than any of the others.

Is it actually worth paying any more? Has anyone had one actually last more than 5 minutes? Or are they all just disposable?

Beagleboy

Hope?
    I got two years out of my bearings and I’m a hefty lad putting a lot of load on them. I just swapped the bearings out for a new set last month, but could have gotten away with cleaning and re-greasing the old ones.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Have you had the bottom bracket shell checked to make sure that the bearing seats are concentric and parallel?

linusr

The FSA BB30 on my Cannondale CAADX has lasted for three years with no problem. And I’ve used it every winter.

Tracey

Not had to touch any of the Hope ones that we have fitted since they were put in a few years ago

binners

Thanks for the answers folks. Beagleboy – like you, I’m a big unit so seem to go through bottom brackets at a rate of knots.

I’ll get the LBS to check the shell and pop a Hope one in. Had plenty of Hope stuff in the past and it’s always been top notch

dovebiker

BB30s often get killed from they inside-out – water runs down the seat tube and gets trapped between the bearings. Stop the water getting in there and they’ll last a lot longer.

pirahna
    Free Member

Chris King’s in both the BB30 bikes here. Add in the cost of the grease tool and it’s not a cheap option, they do last forever though.

binners

Well I popped into my LBS, which is new but the same premises as my old LBS. the guy who runs it was spot on and certainly seemed to know his stuff

He’s recommended this as the solution to my constantly crunching through bottom brackets.

A Token Ninja BB30 bottom bracket. Never heard of them before but he had one in stock and it felt like a quality piece of kit. A lot more substantial looking than your average BB30 affair. Not cheap at ninety quid, but if it lasts and saves me the mither of constantly swapping out BBs then it’ll be money well spent

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Yes, MT500 shimano 68/73mm threaded with an FSA bb30 threaded adaptor
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fsa-bb30-threaded-adapter-b3119-/rp-prod129935?gs=1&sku=sku466163&pgrid=60711843258&ptaid=pla-425335076579&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PLA+All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid|sfB8Rv9Qo_dt|pcrid|309840119912|pkw||pmt||prd|466163UK&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv6iS3OjW4wIVA7DtCh1ZIwCcEAQYASABEgKRDfD_BwE

I’ve never looked back, 2 years on not a single creak

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Pedantry: That’s press fit 30 not bb30. Bb30 mounts the bearings directly in the shell.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Are there any BB30 bottom brackets that aren’t made of cheese?’ is closed to new replies.