Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Are Carbon frames really worth it?
  • ltheisinger
    Free Member

I’m just trying to canvass a few opinions on Carbon Frames – I REALLY like the SC Blur LTc – I currently have a perfectly good SC Heckler, so why should I buy a carbon frame?

Sorry if it’s a stupid question – but I have never ridden a carbon bike and have no idea what the benefits would be?

psychle
    Free Member

Lighter and stiffer generally, I think? Plus you’ll go faster ’cause your wallet will be lighter as well 😉 I may be biased, I’m getting one of these next month:

That’s one of the other advantages of carbon actually, they tend to look damn good! Mmmmmmm, so smooth and curvy…. 8)

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Mmmm….nice Ibis! Are you going for the 140?

psychle
    Free Member

Mojo HD140 in Vitamin P, been on order since October! Due mid/late February though, so counting the days 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Is it worth it? I guess it depends on how deep your pockets are and how much you want it 🙂

ltheisinger
    Free Member

psychle – Member

Mojo HD140 in Vitamin P, been on order since October! Due mid/late February though, so counting the days

If I had one coming I’m sure I would be the same! Enjoy buddy! And if you get bored of the 140 you can always turn it into the 160 version by losing the ‘Limbo Chips’*!! 😀

*and buy a new shock of course…

cynic-al
    Free Member

If you think it’s worth it then it probably will be.

solamanda
    Free Member

I trust a light 6″ carbon bike over an equivalent alloy bike. Stronger usually.

stumpy01

I bought a 2010 Stumpy FSR Elite with an alloy frame.
    It had to go back for warranty problem with the lacquer finish. Spesh offered me the carbon version of the frame for a £50 upgrade as they had no more 2010 alloy frames left.
    I went for the carbon one and can I tell the difference? No.
    It’s got a tapered head tube over the alloy ones standard headtube and a massive oversized BB area, but to all intents and purposes, I can’t tell the difference.
    Apparently it’s 200g lighter than the alloy frame, but came with a Brain shock which I think is a bit heavier than the Fox Triad on the alloy version, so probably about even on weight.

It does look nicer though…

jimjam
    Free Member

Last year I had the chance to demo the Whyte E120 and 19C. I was expecting the bikes to be a bit lighter than their alloy counterparts, what I wasn’t expecting was just how stiff they would be. I was able to ride the E120 back to back with a Marin Mount Vision, a fine bike in it’s own right, but compared directly with the E120 it felt dead, lazy and just a bit, well…..eeugh.

I realise some people question whether you can feel any difference in stiffness between bikes/components, well maybe you can’t on a bridleway, but those bikes were unreal. Not sure if the difference would be so striking with other frames, but would assume so with SC. I’ve ridden the LTC and it too felt very stiff, but I’ve not had the chance to compare it off road with the alloy version.

I’ve never really hankered after anything carbon and any products I’ve owned have made me nervous after they took sort of big impact but I really really want one of these

For some bizarre reason Spesh aren’t doing it in the UK.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Are Carbon frames really worth it?’ is closed to new replies.