Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Anything worth riding arround Ellesmere Port?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Potential opertunity to spend a bit of time "oop 'north"

Well not even north realy, Cheshire for 6months+.

What's the riding like, is there anything worth doing nearby? Or does everyone clear off to Wales/Lakes for the weekends? I've not got a sensible car, but the relocation allowance might pay for one 🙂

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Llandegla is very handy

mrmo
    Free Member

I am currently working at Shotton, my observations are no MTBing worth doing close by, ie without a car, as Ellesmere Port is even further into the waste land i can only guess it gets worse, and there are a lot of roadie clubs in the area.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

bloomin heck its nearby, I'd forgoten how close Liverpool was to North Wales!

Time to brush up on the CV, anyone want a lodger?

ikimbunza
    Free Member

I live in Frodsham so not far from EP.

The best local riding is in Delamere or the hills north of Delamere around Helsby and Kingsley. Hook up with a local to show you round… You could, at a stretch, get the v.infrequent trains between EP and Helsby and ride from there, or get the train into Chester and then onward to Delamere station in the forest.

As people have said, Llandegla isn't far and the N Wales centres are about an hour away. You'll need a car though. Some great riding in the Clwydian hills as well.

carlossal
    Free Member

Isn't E.P. on a railway route for north Wales? Plenty of trails in the Clywds and the Conway / Colwyn bay area. Check out the Ride the Clwyds website or the Bikefax guides

Russell96

There is plenty of riding with a bit on invention. I know of a group that have a regular nightride around the tracks/trails on the Wirral, not that hilly but still fun and it's good mid-week exercise. From the Port you can take a number of Sustrans routes that can mean a 40+ km loop can be done with most of it not on public roads, again not hilly but if you get down by the river when the wind is blowing a bit it can really hurt.

Then there is as people have already suggested, Llandegla, Clwyds and so on.

Russ

http://www.chestermtb.co.uk

Cotters
    Free Member

Also live near EP (Helsby) and your options are Delamere (15 mins), Clwyds (40 Mins), Llandegla (45 mins) or you are only an an hour/hour and half from either the Peaks/the Lakes.

There's plenty of riding close by, but litle that doen't involve a car I am afraid.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I'm in Northwich, just down the road, so just getting to grips with the area..

Llangdegla is close, Delamere is 5 mins down the road- but I've yet to try it other than on my CX…

smeg
    Free Member

I'm on the Wirral, and would usually go to Delamere, North Wales, Lakes or Peak District. Did see some MTB'ers up on Caldy Hill (Thurstaston Common) the other week though ?

ikimbunza
    Free Member

Perhaps we should do a 'lesser known trails in N Cheshire and the Wirral' STW forum group ride…

Maybe…

SiB
    Free Member

ikimbunza….count me in if the 'lesser known trails in N Cheshire and Wirral' STW forum group rides take place.

I live on the Wirral, Barnston, good riding if you dont mind the flat land. With only a bit of a road ride its possible to do Storeton, down to Thingwall, Arrowe Park, through to Greasby, up to Royden Park/Thurstaston Hill/ Clady Hill, in to West Kirby then along the Wirral Way to Parkgate up in to Ness……..nice ride on a quiet day as can get quite busy with walkers.

crezzy

take a look at http://www.thewoolybacks .co.uk ,over thepast few years we have started to draw in members from across the north west there are rides nealy every weekend and some in the week

Geronimo
    Free Member

bloomin heck its nearby, I'd forgotten how close Liverpool was to North Wales!

Liverpool is the capital of North Wales.

The Wirral isn't a mountain biking mecca, but as noted, it's got a lot quite nearby.

SiB
    Free Member

the woollyback link above needs a double l – woollybacks

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It's not really Wales till you'r through the Orm, FACT

crezzy

Cheers Si ,typeing on a iPhone can be arkward at the best of times it should be http://www.thewoollybacks.co.uk

stew1982
    Free Member

If you have a car, you've probably got some of the best riding in the country all around and within an hour or so.

Lee Quary – don't think anyones mentioned that yet.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Anything worth riding arround Ellesmere Port?’ is closed to new replies.