Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Anyone recommend me some well-priced waterproof shorts?
  • disconoir
    Free Member

Looking for some waterproof shorts – GORE ones look good but a bit pricey, any cheapo alternatives out there?

fathomer

Fully waterproof I use Endura Superlites, I’ve not used anything else to compare but they work well for me. Waterproof arse, Endura MT500.

nickjb
    Free Member

Army surplus gore-tex and a pair of scissors. Works for me.

disconoir
    Free Member

I think we have a winner! They the ones on ebay for about £10-20?

neninja
    Free Member

The Maloja ones on sale at Evans are very good especially if you get a money off code – they do size up small – if you are normally a medium go for a large.

Conan257
    Free Member

I use military issue gore-tex trousers with the scissor modification. Cut them a bit long so you can tweak the length.

Try to get the elastic waistband version as teh older ones had a velcro waistand and I think that could dig in a little bit.

zippykona

I have altura attack shorts but prefer my Peter Storm cut downs.

br
    Free Member

Endura. Not sure which ones but I’m on my second pair after wearing out the first set (pretty much 12 months solid riding, 2-3 times per week).

Happy wearing them even when it just looks like rain/wet, as they are waterproof, windproof and don’t seem to sweat-up loads.

bamboo
    Free Member

I use a £10 pair of waterproof over trousers from Go Outdoors cut down at the knee as waterproof over shorts. They fold up so small that they can just be shoved in the bottom of my camelback and have the advantage that I don’t need to change into new shorts when I get back into my car; my normal shorts are nice and clean and dry underneath.

Northwind

Love my Altura Attacks, they’re not super-cheap but they last very well IMEand they retain most of their waterproofing even if you just machine wash them with normal powder etc- essential for shorts really.

I’ve worn one pair out but that was 2 winters of use in constant horrible conditions so it’s not too surprising- they did good.

jonathan
    Free Member

Altura Attacks here too – good fit, good proofing, and critically long enough to avoid “pad gap”

patriotpro
    Free Member

I’ve only had Altura Attacks and couldn’t possibly recommend them, the 4 pairs I have varied in size, been made poorly and aren’t much more waterproof than my non-waterproof shorts.

This is not an attack (no pun intended) on Altura stuff generally as I have a top and a pair of Mayhems which have both been good, but the ‘Attacks’ I have had have been crap. (2 pairs replaced under warranty).

jonathan
    Free Member

Got lucky I guess… product inconsistency in sizing (see Endura) and quality is really annoying. Particularly when it makes me look “wrong” on the internet 😉

ir_bandito
    Free Member

+1 for Endura Superlite.

Had a pair of cut-down army trousers, problem is the waistband isn’t cut for cycling, so rides down a bit.

sharkbait
    Free Member

and me…. brilliant really.

problem is the waistband isn’t cut for cycling, so rides down a bit.

This is true. They worked their way down fairly easily so I threaded a long lace through the top hem (for the elastic) so I can keep them tight – work great now.

patriotpro
    Free Member

A link to the army surplus gore-tex if you will pls…

sharkbait
    Free Member

goretex stuff
    Sorry to hear your fingers are broken – hope you get better soon 😉

patriotpro
    Free Member

Why do yourself what you can get others to do for you… 😉

cheekyboy
    Free Member

bamboo – Member

I use a £10 pair of waterproof over trousers from Go Outdoors cut down at the knee as waterproof over shorts. They fold up so small that they can just be shoved in the bottom of my camelback and have the advantage that I don’t need to change into new shorts when I get back into my car; my normal shorts are nice and clean and dry underneath.

Fantastic idea

Northwind

patriotpro – Member

I’ve only had Altura Attacks and couldn’t possibly recommend them, the 4 pairs I have varied in size, been made poorly and aren’t much more waterproof than my non-waterproof shorts.

Weird… I’ve bought a pair a year since they came out, details have changed (different belt fastener but the fit and material’s identical). Water gets in up the legs obviously but even the worn-thin pair is still night and day compared to standard shorts, and they’ve never been reproofed or anything.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Anyone recommend me some well-priced waterproof shorts?’ is closed to new replies.