Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Anyone got a 2021 Vitus Rapide FS CR or CRX?
  • qwerty
    Free Member

If so what do you think? Where do you ride? How’s the 100mm? How gnar do you get on it? How “downcountry” is it?

Great spec for the money, pretty progressive geometry for a 100mm XC bike, small seat tube suits me.

Any reviews / input appreciated.

*I know there are none availabe right now, Vitus wouldn’t confirm if it’s even reappearing for 2022, their www says that the CR is anticipated*

qwerty
    Free Member

How is tyre clearance? Would a fast 2.35″ / 2.4″ fit in the rear? I guess the front wouldn’t be an issue?

qwerty
    Free Member

Fitted an internal dropper? If so what lever?

continuity
    Free Member

It’s just an open mould frame from the far east with a nice paintjob.

Except not as nice as the ns synonym paintjob. It’s the same bike tho. How many other companies sell it?

qwerty
    Free Member

Ooooooh – that’s quite interesting, I didn’t realise that, the NS look good, 120mm sounds good, shame thy’re all Fox & SRAM though, I prefer RockShox & Shimano. They’re cheapest model is also around £500 more than the full XT Vitus.

How many other companies sell it?

I’d be interested to know.

qwerty
    Free Member
    timb34
    Free Member

I seem to remember that it’s not quite the same as the Synonym – different rear triangle.

There’s quite a lot of info on the chinertown forum about this, and quite a lot of people running 120mm forks.

If Vitus/chainreaction did a version of this with 120mm fork and a dropper post it’s be pretty much perfect for me. I saw something about a guy doing an enduro race on a modified version, but can only find a podcast https://www.mtb-tribe.com/198-vitus-first-tracks-enduro-race-1-review-with-glyn-obrien/ which I haven’t listened to so not sure what the details are

steve_b77
    Free Member

How gnar do you get on it? How “downcountry” is it?

It’s an XC race bike with pretty much standard Geo in that world now, but it’ll no doubt cope with as much Gnar as the the average joe could throw at it with consummate ease.

Granted is a repainted Carbonda frame, as are a lot if not all of the other Vitus bikes, but they’re well specced and my Substance CRS2 (Gravel) and Energie Evo (CX) ride really nicely, are light and well finished.

You’d probably get a massive tyre in the back, but it may well be very close.

As for the internal dropper lever, due to the fork / shock lock out on my KTM and my fondness of tidy bars and levers that aren’t sat on top of them, I use the Brand-X CX style one (for MTB bars) which is the little thumb lever and it sits nicely between the LH brake clamp and the grips.

qwerty
    Free Member

If Vitus/chainreaction did a version of this with 120mm fork and a dropper post it’s be pretty much perfect for me

They’ll be missing a trick if they don’t! Although with my short arse legs / bar height, I might prefer the shorter stack of the 100mm front. 35mm SID @ 110mm pleeeeease.

I’ll await what Vitus offer for 2022…

blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

Hi,

I have the carbonda version of this frame. It’s exactly the same as the Vitus, and has the same front triangle as the NS.

It’s an awesome bike, loads of fun, fast everywhere, and comfortable. Sure beats the xc race bikes of 10 years ago.

Mine is not a pure xc race build. Eg, Hunt xc wides, fox 34 stepcast, dropper post etc, but still fast rolling light tyres. I think it suits this build very well.

Sadly, I’m in need of a cash injection though, so will be selling it very shortly. If anyone is interested in either a full bike, rolling chassis or frame only, ping me a message. It’s a size large.

lovewookie

Sadly, I’m in need of a cash injection though, so will be selling it very shortly. If anyone is interested in either a full bike, rolling chassis or frame only, ping me a message. It’s a size large.

damn. This always happens.
    I ordered a large from carbonda a couple of weeks ago!

qwerty
    Free Member

@lovewookie i have a few questions….

What frame did you go for, normal or lightweight? do you know the weight difference between them??

What extras are you buying from Carbonda?

What shock will you be using? And do you know which shock tune works best with the frame?

Is their shipping and taxes included the final price, no hidden costs on delivery?

What fork are you going to use? and what length?

Where from / what shock fixings are you using?

How much did you pay n GBP?

Purchase to delivery time? ETA?

lovewookie

What frame did you go for, normal or lightweight? do you know the weight difference between them??

What extras are you buying from Carbonda?

just the rear axle. nothing else. was going to get a shok with it, but they’re out of stock.

What shock will you be using? And do you know which shock tune works best with the frame?

hopefully a SidLuxe, but may end up with a RS Nude, depends on what’s available. already had the delivery date pushed back by a week by deporvillage on a shock.

Is their shipping and taxes included the final price, no hidden costs on delivery?

you get two options. tax free, or full tax. about £10 difference in price, not sure what I’ll get charged at this end.

What fork are you going to use? and what length?

Reba 120mm probably. so 530a-c.

Where from / what shock fixings are you using?

trunnion comes with the frame, shock hardware is 22mm x 8. got that from ebay.

How much did you pay n GBP?

£690 so far.

Purchase to delivery time? ETA?

tell you when it gets here! 4-6 weeks seems about right.

should add. bought via alibaba, they seem to respond quicker on that.

lovewookie

To answer your first q. Went for normal. Think there’s about 250g between them

qwerty
    Free Member

@lovewookie

4-6 weeks seems about right.

Thats what they’ve quoted me for a BSA BB version.

SidLuxe, but may end up with a RS Nude, depends on what’s available

165 x 40/42.5 doesn’t seem to be a well stocked size, there’s none to buy right now, i’m a little concerned I might buy a frame but be unable to buy a shock! How sure are you you’ll get one? Certainly no bargains to be had 🙁

@blackmountainsrider
    – pics please 🙏 and info on your choice of fork & shock plus any tips.

lovewookie

165 x 40/42.5 doesn’t seem to be a well stocked size, there’s none to buy right now, i’m a little concerned I might buy a frame but be unable to buy a shock! How sure are you you’ll get one? Certainly no bargains to be had 🙁

you’ll need to source one from overseas. starbike had some, I go mine from deporvillage, so am waiting for it to arrive and waiting for the vat bill to accompany it!

last time I looked there were some sidluxe, RS deluxe, RS nude and DT Swiss. however not sure if all are remote, if not, I think the RTC3 won’t work as you need to lick the lever all the way round to lock it and it hits the frame.

qwerty
    Free Member

@lovewookie Which shock have you gone for? With or without remote? I’d rather not have a remote but obviously want a shock whose lever is accessable.

lovewookie

@qwerty A SIDLuxe is on its way to me! 165 x 40. Supposed to be remote version, which I’ll use an old front gripshift as a lockout, or an old thumbie. half expecting it to be no remote though. don’t mind, i’m not a racer, so don’t mind slowing up a little to reach way down to flick the lever.

dai1983
    Free Member

Bought a CR when they were in stock for about 12 hours a few months back. Got the CR as I figured I’d rather an all steel rear cassette and the suspension would be better than the Reba on more expensive brands. The CRX frame is the lightweight version and comes with full xt and sid ultimates v select.

Out of the box my large came to 12.7kg with the plastic pedals. Fitted my Hunt Xc race wheels, xt 170mm cranks, Unite oval chain ring and a one up dropper with a gash “x2” lever. Comes in at 12kg and the plan is to get a Droplock remote to tidy the front end but currently out of stock. Could knock it down to 11.5kg with a lighter cassette, carbon bar and carbon stem.

Noticeably faster than my hardtail for less effort. I can feel the difference with the lockout too. Considered fitting my 120mm Rebas or the CRC PSA Pikes that I can reduce to 120mm. Keep looking at rowdy hardtail frames for the pikes.

Dropper was a proper ball ache to fit plus I swapped the cables and hoses where they exit the frame to tidy the cockpit up. Top shock bolts look like something you find in a cracker and currently going through a warranty claim due to the suspension linkage showing signs of cracking near the heads of them.

lovewookie

My Carbonda rapide FS frame just arrived. not unpacked it yet, but that’s bang on 2 weeks from notification of shipping, 16 days from payment.
    Notification that my shock is sat with parcelforce and has charges to pay. Don’t know how much yet!

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Interestingly Pedals (Edinburgh bike shop) have a painted Carbonda and did say they had specced better hardware, sounds like they spotted it wasn’t great quality..

BearBack
    Free Member

Pedals project DC
    Adding this as I like what they’re doing with this open mold frame

dai1983
    Free Member

Actually sent them a message about their build but the Rapide came into stock and then bought a few days before they replied. Looks like the shock upper bolt is the same and in time would be interested in replacing it with something better and not so tacky looking.

Chain reaction have gotten back to me and their engineering team have come back saying the damage I’m seeing is the paint being too thick near the bolts and flaking off. Offer of a £50 voucher.

lovewookie

Built my Carbonda ‘rapide’ over the weekend. Not had chance to ride it yet. apologies for the blurry photo, and the garden, and the fence etc etc etc..busy with bikes….

Carbonda Vitus

quick up and down the road to set the suspension and it feels, well, like a bike. light, nippy, way more neutral feeling than I was expecting for something with a 500mm reach, steep SA and 66deg HA.

This one is size large, sidLuxe rear shock, non remote as deporvillage images are wrong and descriptions not that clear. 165×40 to give 100mm. older Sid’s up front at 120mm. 70mm stem, may go 60, but will try 70 first as that gives me a nice saddle to bar length.

I may colour coordinate a bit, but then again, I may not. crud catcher or mudhugger to go on.

The internal routing is interesting, the rear brake hose routes through the inside of the chainstay. The brake hose for my XT’s routes to the outside using a banjo. couple of problems with this. 1. the hose has to do a tight S to get from outside to inside, 2. routing front to back would be easy, as the chainstay has a removalbe clip in guide. but back to front you have to put a long pokey thing in to catch the hose as it approaches the bend in the chainstay to direct it upwards and out of the hole.
    I’ve just ended up zip tying to the chainstay. rest of the routing is great, keeps the cables and hoses well away from the frame, so no rubbing.

need to find some matt frame protection for it.

qwerty
    Free Member

@lovewookie

Mines inbound, should arrive soon.

1) What bolts did your shock need (i’ve a RS Deluxe Ultimate)?
    2) Did you get away with a non boost crankset? If so which one have you fitted?

lovewookie

@qwerty

1. Trunnion mount bolts are included with the frame. Hardware for the normal eye is 8mm x 22mm. your new shock will likely come with a bush installed in the eye, so you just need to press in the hardware.

2. mine is a raceface Aeffect SL. non boost, 34t chainring. quite a bit of room for a 36 if I wanted. chain line is a bit iffy if I were honest, though it may be my hurried cable installation meaning shifts are not as crisp as I’m used to with my SRAMano setup, it shifts fine. I suppose when I change the chainring I may go for boost, maybe, or whatever is going cheap.

bikester had some SLX boost cranks going fairly cheap, and CRC have direct mount blackspire chainrings reduced too.

continuity
    Free Member

Has anyone got a list of shocks that work to long stroke this into a bit more than 100mm?

Can you order it in bare carbon with a clear coat to save weight?

@lovewookie
    were you planning to make it look like a 90s anodised CNC horrorshow? :-P. Looks like the kind of thing me and my mates lusted after when 14. Needs some hope tech 2’s in purple!

qwerty
    Free Member

@continuity

Has anyone got a list of shocks that work to long stroke this into a bit more than 100mm?

It’s designed for 165×40 which gives 100mm, 165×42.5 gives around 110mm. 165×45 to gain 120mm requires a different back end as seen on the NS Synonym.

Can you order it in bare carbon with a clear coat to save weight?

Mines coming in plain carbon.

See Chinatown for all things FM936:
    https://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,2079.0.html

qwerty
    Free Member

PS: adding a 120mm fork to the FM936 still keeps the BB height lower than a Spesh Epic Evo, which can only be a good thing.

continuity
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply. Asked for a quote, and including 20% import tax and shipping a bare UD gloss frame comes in at £979.50.

£300 more for a shock and I’m really not sure how much of a good deal this is.

My current bike, a barely used giant trance advanced 0 with carbon 30mm wheels, DVO front and rear, x0 eagle and a full carbon finishing kit only cost me £2100.

A shame, as I really like the idea!

lovewookie

Thanks for the reply. Asked for a quote, and including 20% import tax and shipping a bare UD gloss frame comes in at £979.50.

£690 inc tax for mine, using tax inc shipping. thought it would take a month to arrive, but only took 2 weeks.

as said above, 40mm stroke is 100mm, 42.5 is the max that will fit.

not many about, so new may be the way to go.

if on a budget, there are Suntour shocks on ebay that have a decent reputation that will work.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133844422549

continuity
    Free Member

Ah, so you didn’t pay import using the slower shipping?

lovewookie

yeah, that’s right.
    wasn’t that slow either! I was expecting the up to 30 days to be just that, and some.

qwerty
    Free Member

Ah, so you didn’t pay import using the slower shipping?

I asked: “230USD by WXY,tax free shipping ,shipping time is about 20-40 days” does this cover any import taxes into the UK?”

Katie replied: “Yes ,you don’t need to pay any import taxes.”

lovewookie

@lovewookie
    were you planning to make it look like a 90s anodised CNC horrorshow? :-P. Looks like the kind of thing me and my mates lusted after when 14. Needs some hope tech 2’s in purple!

don’t know what you mean. it all kinda goes. the purple chainring with the purple ODI attack grips and the purple spoke nipples on the rear, the green seat collar goes with the green nipples on the front, the blue head clamp on the seatpost goes with the saltire.
    Ah, the orange headset spacers, it’s the orange headset spacers that ruin it…;-)

continuity
    Free Member

No, it’s the blue and white beach deckchair saddle.

lovewookie

If it’s any consolation, that’s going back on my splatter painted hardtail..

qwerty
    Free Member

Mine arrived yesterday, 12 days from ordering – my door. I hope to get it built in the next few weeks, just accumulating parts.

lovewookie

Awesome.

There will be a review in a few weeks on offroad.cc of the Vitus. It’ll be interesting to hear what they have to say about it.

Clink

How are we sizing these? At 5’10” a large etc looks perfect, but massive reach and seat tube push me to a medium.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.