Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anyone been walking over Mam Tor recently?
  • Harry_the_Spider

Thinking of taking the kids ( 6 & 8 ) walking over the weekend. Castleton – Lose Hill – Mam Tor – Broken Road – Castleton.

Not done it for years and then it was without the little people.

So, if anyone has been up recently:
    a) How long did it take you?
    b) Is it a swamp? I’m thinking of the first bit up Lose Hill. We could always cut that out and go up to Hollins Cross.

doris5000

went up on Friday. it was lovely and dry, firm underfoot – until the heavens opened in the afternoon!

From car park to the summit of Mam Tor was 20 mins at a stroll. All very pleasant 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

That route is quite a way for a 6yo !

Harry_the_Spider

She got round Ingleton Falls without breaking a sweat or moaning. It did cost me a pub lunch though.

Harry_the_Spider

Rough calc would suggest that the Lose Hill route is about 9.5km and the Hollins Cross one is 7.25km and a bit easier to get up.

mintimperial

Did Mam Tor a few months back and was in Edale on Kinder Scout last week. It was nice and dry, so I don’t think you’ll encounter too much boggy stuff. I’d do the Hollins X option with a little ‘un, it’s a lot more climbing than Ingleton. The bit up to Hollins X and the fields between Mam Nick and the Broken Road might be a little bit muddy at the mo but the rest will be fine.

Harry_the_Spider
    mark88

You got lucky with the weather yesterday. We did a similar route on Saturday and got caught in several heavy showers and couldn’t enjoy the view from the top.

Harry_the_Spider

It was perfect. Dry underfoot with views that amazed the kids.

Pook

Did you see us?

Harry_the_Spider

Might have done. We got to Hollins Cross at about 11:30 and we’re off Mam Tor at about 12:30. Lots of bikes out and all mixing very sociably with the walkers. Spoke to a couple of them as they grimaced their way up.

I was wearing a Singletrack shirt and SKY cap, carrying an orange rucksack and was with a small blonde girl in pink who was loudly counting sheep shits.

There were 430 sheep shits

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anyone been walking over Mam Tor recently?’ is closed to new replies.