Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Any Ribble CGR owners?
  • NormalMan

I know they come in 4 flavours and am happy to hear owner experiences/ reviews on any of them.

If it happens to be the steel 725 model then all the better.

Thanks STW!

nicko74

Yes! A Ti, which arrived last month.

What do you want to know?
    It’s a first for me – first gravel bike, first geared road bike – so I may not have the best points of comparison, but happy to share what I know

sarawak
    Free Member

Yes. I’ve had an ally one for 18 months now. Never missed a beat. I did upgrade the wheels to a pair of Hunts, but I did choose the lowest option so new I would do that. Has 105 gear and cable discs which just do what they are supposed to.
    Paint is still good, just the odd nick round the dropouts otherwise it’s lasted well.
    All I’ve done to it is replace rings/cassette/chain and brake cables but it’s done over 6,000 miles in frequently muddy conditions so that’s to be expected.
    Bike handles well and seems to be excellent value for money. In fact it surprised me just how good it was.

I bought it when I was getting back into the game after knee replacement and it has been better than I expected. It’s got me so far back into the game that I’m now thinking of trading up to a fancy carbon fibre full on road jobbie (coffins don’t have pockets!)

So if you fancy a large ally version….

NormalMan

Thanks for the replies so far. Interested in how it handles light offroad (gravel) mostly.

I have an MTB and road bike (and fat bike) but looking for something that handles towpath and those offroad bike paths but is light enough not to feel dead when either linking up trails or hitting a decent road section.

I say the steel one in particular as that is what I have ordered but always 2nd guess my choices!

Gone for 650b x 47c (Byways).

nicko74

I’ve done about 200km on mine so far, and it’s good. A pretty good position for road (I think), but enough space to move around for trickier bits of connecting trail etc. It has felt a bit heavy on-road into the local headwinds – that slight ‘pedalling through treacle’ feeling, but I reckon swapping the wheels and tyres will help with that.

I went for the lowest spec Ti (105/ Aksium wheels) with Schwalbe G-One tyres, fwiw. I can’t get on with the wheels – being straight-pull they rattle (spoke tension is slightly lower, so enough flex to rattle) – but it’s a great excuse for some Hunts, and I’ve got some more road-biased tyres in the spares box to go on.

Overall, really chuffed with it, and I reckon you can’t go far wrong!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Any Ribble CGR owners?’ is closed to new replies.