Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Any good deals on Gravity Dropper seat post?
  • sherry
    Free Member

As above. Looking ideally for the Classic 4″ multi drop version in 27.2 seat tube, 400mm length. Cheers.

Northwind

They don’t seem to come up on discount much… I’d recommend the Turbo btw, both good mind but the Turbo’s just a less complicated solution, the bum-tap doesn’t add anything IMO but it’s sometimes quite annoying

Crag
    Free Member

Get it direct from GD in the states and hope it slips under the radar with those jobsworths at customs.

grum
    Free Member

The Turbo non-multi drop is cheap at CRC (£170). Apparently you can drill holes to make the standard one multi-drop but I’ve not had the balls to try it.

Northwind

Or, you can buy a multi-drop inner shaft, they’re not that expensive and come with new shims, if you decide you want it- I should have one somewhere, I never used the mid-drop position and it does make the post more fragile so I took it off and went back to single drop (my KS is variable drop but it’s almost never anywhere but top or bottom)

sherry
    Free Member

Cool, thanks for the replies! Needs to he the remote version, don’t really see the point in the lever/button type. I think the single drop is the way to go now mentioned the weak points.

seavers
    Free Member

I was looking at this…..

http://www.bigmassive.co.uk/

What do you guys think? Anyone using one now?

Northwind

sherry – Member

Cool, thanks for the replies! Needs to he the remote version, don’t really see the point in the lever/button type.

Aye, defo- I had a Descender and it was just daft, luckily it can be upgraded with a remote (it’s the same post as the Turbo, just that the Turbo comes with the remote)

grum
    Free Member

This is the remote version. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mobile/MobileModels.aspx?ModelID=29646

Tempted to get one myself and pass on the Classic I’ve got to the missus.

HermanShake
    Free Member

I used to have a 4″ GD turbo, they’re great n’ all but the KSi950 I use now is better. More travel (5″) and the infinite adjustment is great. I seem to have it 1″ or so down for mild trails, 2″ for more tech and slammed for jumps and descending and there’s no hole to locate for the ‘click’ as with a multi. It also doesn’t come as vigourously as the turbo did!

The GD is wonderfully simple, but the performance of the KS is more useful in my experience. The ODI friendly remote is nice and tidy too.

grum
    Free Member

My KS i900 fell apart after a year or so – it was great when it worked. Got a warranty replacement but sold it. They’ve supposedly improved since then though. The extra inch and adjustment would be nice.

sherry
    Free Member

Grum, cheers for the link! I think thats the one for me. Iv got a Joplin 4 on my full sus, great when it works and looks ok. The GD is for my hardtail and I want to keep things simple and easy to fix, not too bothered about the looks.

smudge
    Free Member

Just to also add, the GD comes with a lifetime guarantee, as I just found out.

Mines about 3 yrs old and a hairline crack had appeared from one of the holes, I emailed GD direct, and ‘no problem, send it back to us and we’ll replace the faulty part foc with our life time guarantee’ also for $18 (about £10) ive paid for a complete service. This also includes the return postge.

Big-Chris
    Free Member

Sorry to put a damper on this thread, but I’ve had two of the remote versions and been disappointed with both. First one (4″ classic)I bought secondhand & there was a fair bit of front-back and side to side play in it which I put down to being used. I sold that one. Then I bought a new 3″ turbo version off Chain Reaction this March when they were on offer; utter crap.After only 4 days use it had more play than the old one so I sent it back for a refund.
    The idea is great but it’s a problem if, like me, you are limited to 27.2 seatpost size. There’s not much choice out there. I wouldn’t buy another GD but I might try the KS i7 http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ks-supernatural-i7-suspension-seat-post-int-lever/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Dynamic%20Search%20Ads%20Cycle&referid=googwig

grum
    Free Member

Well my experience is: GD – bit klunky but fine, no noticeable play after a fair bit of use. Needs a bit of a clean/regrease every now and then but it takes 2 mins. KS i900 – fell apart completely.

Are you getting play that you actually notice when riding?

Big-Chris
    Free Member

It’s gone back with a letter of complaint & been refunded now, but yes it was so bad I could feel the movement when riding. I bought it purely for our Easter 4 dayer in Wales. It went up & down fine, but the play was getting noticeably worse each day.

You may well be right about the KS post being crap as well. I don’t know anyone with any experience of using one.

sherry
    Free Member

Well I just bought the standard turbo GD 4″ drop. Will soon find out if its any good.

Northwind

Big Chris- that’s had the main shims fitted wrong, my multi-drop inner was like that from new too. Allows a lot of play but also means they wear incredibly fast because of the extra movement. Does seem to happen occasionally- not good but not typical.

Your first one was just a bit worn- but the shims aren’t expensive and take about 20 minutes to change so it could have been revived and made good as new. Unlike, say, a KS, the wear parts are all disposable and cost IIRC £6.

simonside
    Free Member

Bought a GD Turbo from US via the bay of fleas. Still worked out cheaper than from here,(not that they anyone had the one I wanted in this country)after the customs had there rake off!

johnhe

I’ve ridden my normal, old fashioned GD for about a year, and it was a couple of years old when i bought it. It has been pretty much hassle free, except when it wwas broken by a stupid bike shop in France. However, this experience served to show the frankly incredible service from the GD folks who fixed everything FOC, even though I clearly stated that I’d bought the seatpost second hand, and that it was damaged by a bikeshop.

I’d highly recommend them for hassle free riding. I also own a Reverb, which is a superior piece of kit – the infinite adjustment is excellent and the 5 inch drop is very useful. But ive only had it a few months, so cant comment on the longevity. But I’d be really happy to own another GD.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Any good deals on Gravity Dropper seat post?’ is closed to new replies.