Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)
  • Anti-car schadenfreude
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

That’s beautifully poetic.

Some of those people should have licenses revoked. It’s plenty wide for a family car. He’ll it’s straight the van should have been ok . Some of those cars are small…. A Micra should not have been phased by it…..

Makes you understand why some close passes happen. People do not know the width of their car.

sharkbait
    Free Member

My car would get through with 2″ clearance on either side.
    Too narrow if you only want to stop HGVs.
    I’m not surprised people hit it.

slowoldman

It does seem a little excessive.

butcher

You’d think if there was any doubt though, people would slow down..?

I seen it yesterday and was fascinated by it. I think I watched the whole thing at least 3 times.

tjagain

so thats 11 drivers who cannot drive properly

Jeepers – how do they manage in places with narrow streets

7ft is plenty of width for a car of normal size to go thru

Lovely daily wail link, lovely crying about being found out as incompetent drivers, lovely click bait post

northshoreniall

What are these lines of site they are talking about?

i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

There is a bridge near me that is very narrow so they put high kerb/bollard arrangement before and after it to ‘filter out’ wide-vehicles. Said arrangement gets hit all the time 😀 It will need rebuilding again soon.

nickjb
    Free Member

These have been around for as long as I can remember. There was a couple near me when I lived in London. Always a pile of wing mirrors there. Some of that driving is pretty shocking. Better a bollard than a cyclist or pedestrian

northernmatt

I thought STW had an anti-Daily Wail link warning page?

trail_rat
    Free Member

The yeti ?

The listed dimensions for a yeti don’t add up to 2 inches either side left over.

I’d think twice about taking the iveco down it – it truely does have less tha. 2 inches either side …but then I’d man the **** up and put the passenger’s side wheel at the kerb (since I have the dimensions of my vehicle on the sun visor so know it fits) then go slow.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Is there a less gammon website to view the video?

sharkbait
    Free Member

7ft is plenty of width for a car of normal size to go thru

Maybe (maybe not at night when the posts are painted black 🤦🏻‍♂️) – but they could have gone wider and still stopped HGVs.

finephilly
    Free Member

The issue seems to be the fact that there is no kerb beforehand to give advance warning of poor positioning. Some negotiation with their neighbour and partial re-instatement of the raised kerb would help with that.

FB-ATB

re-instatement of the raised kerb

So they were driving on the pavement because of the dropper?

Bout time they got a reminder their driving is crap.

i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

If you need a kerb to stay on the road I’d get an eye test 😀

tomtomthepipersson

Have driven through that a few times. It feels bloody narrow – even in my Ford Focus with 6 inches of clearance each side.

But I’m not a driving god like some folk here.

bassmandan

I generally consider myself a pretty capable driver and very aware of the width of my car (mazda 6). Those bollards are terrifyingly narrow. When I’ve had to go through them I crawl through but you lose sight of them as you go through so a little left or right and goodbye to your door panels.

And if someone wants to use it as a rat run in an HGV there’s a sodding great bus lane gap that you can go through that as far as I’m aware has no cameras on it.

reluctantjumper

There’s this one just outside Llangynidr to protect the bridge, gets loads of hits all the time with them peaking during tourist season. Doesn’t help that a lot of elderly people live there, some even do the 8 mile diversion rather than use the bridge!

Llangynidr Bridge

Regularly see motorhomes and caravans getting stuck there.

EDIT: Google doesn’t seem to like links to streetview currently so just put the postcode NP8 1NQ inot maps and it’s the bridge over the river.

Northwind

None of those crashes look like issues with the narrowness, they look like people who’ve just not seen it?

i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

Just checked and the one near me is just 2.0 m / 6′ 6″

i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

Regularly see motorhomes and caravans getting stuck there.

It’s wrong but I’d probably laugh 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

There’s one near me that’s a tight 270 degree uphill corner and they put a huge metal bollard like the things they use to tie ships to in the dock up.

It regularly gets destroyed despite signage saying nothing over 6m should even be trying it.

Cougar

I’d man the **** up and put the passenger’s side wheel at the kerb

There isn’t a kerb, that’s the point. It’s a dropped kerb followed by a nice ramp straight up into a steel post.

Normally I’d be with TJ on this, learn to drive. But that’s a terrible design and I’m not surprised so many people are being caught out.

Cougar

In related news, I’ll just leave this here:

http://11foot8.com/

theotherjonv

I drove through there yesterday!

It is tight, I’ll grant you.

finephilly
    Free Member

I think what’s happening is the driver sees a narrow gap, panics, or is over-compensating to the nearside and the first indication is twatting the bollard. Made worse by the fact that you can’t see how close you are to the kerb (the passenger door is in the way).
    Granted, a lower speed would probably help but on a ‘first attempt’ a nice indicator from the kerb would help guide you through.
    Surely the purpose is to prevent HGV usage, not damage other vehicles.

i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

@trail_rat

Got a google maps for that? 😀

bigyan
    Free Member

Doesn’t look like much room

trail_rat
    Free Member

Peterculter
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/mHqKJekm5CaiSn1S8

Where the b979 meets the a93.

If your coming from the a93 east bound and trying to get up the b979 ….it takes a good chunk of the 4 lanes to get a normal car round it without shunting.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Big yan.

Is that a fiesta a focus or a Mondeo …..or an Aston Martin.

Hard to tell these days.

retro83
    Free Member

That’s an S-Max

trail_rat
    Free Member

Point confirmed. 🙂

6ft 3.5″ wide. Not much smaller than most vans.

i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

@trail_rat

Yeah, I used to cycle around there in the mid 00s when I lived in Aberdeen. LMAO at the steel mine thing they have cemented in.

allyharp

This one I pass regularly has no kerb on the nearside either (when heading East). I usually focus on lining up my side as close to the right as I can to get through.
    139 Arthur Rd
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/em4oeweQ7jLmZxMZ9

I haven’t seen it hit before, but it’s poorly signposted so I have seen a lot of hgvs clog up the road as they reverse all the way back out again once they spot it.

This one is worse as it narrows, stays narrow for a few metres, and curves:

Lower Morden Ln
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/fvYR7pzoHBsgiC7u8

The bollards are soft and slightly set back at least

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

The sound of tyres deflating in the OP’s vid was quite satisfying, it has to be said.

Reminiscent of the time an impatient driver tried to force her way past me at a traffic island and detonated her tyre on it. Oh how I laughed sympathised.

midlifecrashes

One of our local “qualifiers” for the weak bridge beyond. I’ve never struggled in the S-Max which is listed as just over 7ft. Not counting mirrors it’s allegedly 6’3″ but it feels like I have adequate wiggle room. These idiots just aren’t paying attention.

sl2000

Is there a less gammon website to view the video?

I’m a bit slow with this but I’m assuming it’s https://twitter.com/WorldBollard/status/1447848931031928833?t=MQY2h3KgwLXrovZ6qeXGIA&s=19

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Pffft a normal transit fits through a 6ft6 gap (the details say 6ft10 so I’m assuming that includes mirrors). So I’ve got zero sympathy for people that clearly shouldn’t have a licence if they can’t get a normal car though a 7ft gap.

mogrim

If that many cars are hitting it, it’s clearly a poor design. The first post on the left should be a lot more visible.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Anti-car schadenfreude’ is closed to new replies.