Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Annihilation: New sci-fi film from Alex Garland.
  • jimjam
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufaDurSCKOk[/video]

Looks interesting, and going by Alex Garland’s work on Ex-Machina there’s a reasonable chance this might actually be a good film as opposed to just cgi and loud noises*

And yes I realise the trailer is basically just a lot of cgi and loud noises
    😀

Rorschach
    Free Member

The books are……….odd.

nickc

hmmmm, the books it’s based on are terrible (overwritten, verbose, loads of pointless exposition and character narrative that makes zero sense, hidden plot, and terrible vague descriptive passages) The plot, for what it’s worth, is a one liner, and without the second (actually you could happily miss that out) without the third book, the first makes zero sense as a stand alone piece.

Perfect Alex Garland material. 😆

involver
    Free Member

I agree, the books were a bit hard going, but for some reason I still wanted to like them . Hopefully the movie will do what the books couldn’t/didnt.

nickc

It’s odd, I really didn’t like the books (although the first one is by far the best) but got through them just so I could find out WTAF was going on, imagine my disappointment, etc etc. 😆 But I watched the trailer for this the other night, and for some reason got really possessive about the books and why people feel the need to make films out of every damn thing…

vintagewino
    Free Member

you guys who actually managed to read the third book after the dirge of the second, I applaud you. I liked the first but the second… just awful.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ll watch the film, ta for the heads up.

The books I’ll leave to you lot..

shermer75
    Free Member

He’s a bit hit and miss, hey? I remember loving The Beach but being disappointed with Tge Tesseract. Ex Machina was great so I guess this’ll be a disappointment lol

superstu
    Free Member

For balance I read the trilogy and thought the books were really really great (the first being the best). Jeff Van see Meer is a great author in my mind.

Film looks like a decent adaptation.

coomber
    Free Member

Vandermeer is a great author.

Books are amazing.

Garland is brilliant.

Cast is quality.

What’s not to like hey!?

sirromj

Looks like Google Deep Dream invades.

jimjam
    Free Member

shermer75 – Member

He’s a bit hit and miss, hey? I remember loving The Beach but being disappointed with Tge Tesseract. Ex Machina was great so I guess this’ll be a disappointment lol

His film career, that is to say his screen writing and directing seems more hit than miss. He wrote and produced Dredd, wrote and directed Ex-Machina.

nickc

hmmm, then there’s 28 days later and Sunshine.

jimjam
    Free Member

Bad news for Alex Garland, bad news for anyone who wanted to see this film in the cinema over here but good news for me because I never get anyway…Annihilation is coming to netflix in a few days. From wikipedia

The film was released by Paramount Pictures in the United States on February 23, 2018.

Due to a poorly received test screening, David Ellison, a financier at Paramount, became concerned that the film was “too intellectual” and “too complicated”, and demanded changes to make it appeal to a wider audience, including making Portman’s character more sympathetic and changing the ending. Producer Scott Rudin sided with Garland in his desire to not alter the film, defending the film and refusing to take notes. Rudin had final cut.

*Contains spoilers and clips of violence from the film*

…added to my list. Love Mike and Jay.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Annihilation: New sci-fi film from Alex Garland.’ is closed to new replies.