Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • An alternative to Amazon (books)
  • mrwhyte
    Free Member
    gobuchul
    Free Member

I saw that on Twitter.

Unfortunately they don’t sell s/h books.

Most of the books I buy from Amazon are s/h, you can get some great bargains.

nbt
    pondo

I switched to Hive earlier this year for that very reason – sounds like shops get a bigger cut from bookshop.org and the wholesaler is the same one that runs Hive, so I don’t need to feel guilty about switching. 🙂

Marin
    Free Member

Abe Books, Worldofbooks, both do great SH selections. No idea if they have evil overlords though.

slowol

For secondhand (and some new) books I’ve found ebay better than Amazon recently. Lots of independent booksellers on there. The search function is less good but title and author usually finds what you want.
    I know they’re another internet behemoth but at least they are relatively transparent in charging a seller’s fee and don’t try to undercut successful businesses that use their platform like Amazon do.
    Also used worldofbooks and Abe for second hand.

franksinatra

I like that site and I love the concept. There is a flaw though

Rischard Osmon – The Thursday Murder Club (Hardcover)

Amazon – £7.50
    Bookshop.org £13.94

I don’t mind paying a premium to support indies but that is a whooping difference in price.

DezB
    Free Member

I get most books from ebay these days. Buy from World of Books, have done since they first existed as a 1 man set up (now say “over 5million books in stock”!) Nice to have an alternative though. Will bookmark 😊

pondo

I don’t mind paying a premium to support indies but that is a whooping difference in price.

If you’re not paying tax, if you’re prepared to sell at tiny margins because you shift the volume, you can sell really cheap. I’m lucky enough to be in a position to pay a bit more for my books, and that’s more cash to HMRC (damn them) and about £4:20 of that thirteen quid odd will go to the book store down the road.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘An alternative to Amazon (books)’ is closed to new replies.