• This topic has 22 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by IA.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • American Classic Hub – New or Service
  • mrben100
    Free Member

Hello STW,

Recently I’ve got a ‘box of neutrals’ on the hub of 26″ AC all mountain tubeless.

I can pedal, chain and cassette rotate but horrible grinding/crushing sound but no pawl engagement I assume.

Pawls seem to engage under hand pressure rotating the wheel but pedalling with actual force and problem persists.

I have carried out the below overhaul on the below website but to no avail.

MTB REAR DISC 225: OVERHAUL / BEARING CHANGE

http://www.amclassic.com/en/help/manuals

Admittedly I didn’t change the bearings just cleaned out all the crap that was in there.

Is it new hub time? Has anyone else had similar and fixed?

Yes I know if I send it to a professional they’ll (hopefully) fixing it, but I’ve also got oil now p***ing out the top of both stanchions on my forks (assume seals have gone?) so probably going to have to pay out for them also. 🙁

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What did you observe during the service? Were the pawls engaging at all, was there damage was anything worn? There probably is more too it, with decent hubs you have to go fairly well to kill them properly.
    As for the forks seal change isn’t that bad… should be done regularly.

mrben100
    Free Member

Caked with crap is probably the best decription of what I found inside.

After clean – If I move the cam plate the pawls engage, with cassette installed but held in hand and try to spin wheel, pawls engage.

Put on bike and pedal – crunch crunch crunch.

Possibly not all pawls engaging?

matthew_h
    Free Member

It’s most likely the wire that engages with the cam plate being worn. Once it can’t fully engage with the cam plate you lose drive. Pop a new one in and you may well be good to go although you may well have damaged the cam plate too

IA

In a similar place to the OP I need a new spring wire. Any sources? You can get cam plates on their own from the German distributor.

njee20
    Free Member

I’d be stunned if it was a new hub, there aren’t that many parts in there!

trail_rat
    Free Member

hub parts – i found that many of them (being chinese rebrands) shared teh same parts as chainreactions “NS bikes” hubs.

i bought a few springs for a couple of quid each and picked the one that was the same.

xc-steve
    Free Member

Sounds trashed I’ll buy the hold hubs off you for £10 obviously the front as they wear together lol. Mine were simular check the engagement wire thingy is properly hitting the cam plate if not pull it out a bit and make it a sharp edge so it’ll dig into the plate when you pedal if that fixes it then that’s a temp fix you’ll know that’s what needs to be replaced. If all else fails contact the importers. When Eurobike were the importers they fixed mine up for me. (cheaper than a new hub).

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Maybe try Moore and Large?
    Think they distribute American Classic now.
    Thanks,
    Max

mrben100
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    I’d be stunned if it was a new hub, there aren’t that many parts in there

I was surprised at how few to be honest.

As I mentioned I didn’t change any bearings – shouldn’t matter though…..should it?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

You need a new pawl plate and spring. They wear out after a while and stop the freehub engaging.

JRA usually have them in stock, but I can’t find a link on their website.

IA

and in particular …

http://www.justridingalong.com/repair/hub-spare-parts-bearings-axles/pawls-springs.html

No springs there, just the pawls. It’s the spring and cam plate we’re after.

IA

Just had this from JRA:

Unfortunately the spring is not replaceable; its exact length and position is critical to the correct functioning of the freehub. Pawls will be unaffected (they are much harder material than the freehub), but you will need a new freehub. Sorry.

onandon
    Free Member

I’ve probably used 10 AM wheelsets over the years and I’ve not managed to kill one yet. On one set I cut the spring and bent it to fit- it worked perfectly for years.
    They are a simple mechanism so have a play if you think you’ll have to buy replacement parts anyway.

If you get stuck, I have a huge bag of parts that I may be able to help you with ( no sprints though )

IA

Cutting sounds a decent plan, worst case it just starts slipping again which is no worse than what happened naturally.

mrben100
    Free Member

I did contact AM direct and got the below who seemed to suggest a replacement hence my potentially money saving enquiry – then they realised I was a private individual and told me to go the the dealership where I got the wheels.

Hi Ben,

Thanks for contacting us!

Where are you located? Yes you need a new cassette body shimano 9/10. Do you have the receipt for purchase?

Thank you,
    American Classic
    USA Sales Office is Open Monday to Friday 10am to 6pm Eastern Time
    http://www.amclassic.com
    https://www.facebook.com/AmericanClassicWheels
    In stock, Disc 101 and ACRD 2218 Tubeless Rims!
    American Classic is the leader in tubeless wheel technology

Subject: Pawls not engaging?

I have a set of American Classic All Mountain Tubeless 26inch. Had since April 2013.

Recently the freehub/cassette was turning whilst i was pedalling but the pawl didn’t seem to be engaging so the wheel wouldn’t turn.

This evening i have carried out the overhaul form the manual section of the website but this has not helped.

Does this mean I need a new hub and body.

Kind regards,

Ben

sok

Try Mike at Race Mechanic – he’s based at Moore & Large
    http://www.racemechanic.co.uk/

choppersquad
    Free Member

I’ve got through two freehubs now due to the spring wearing out.
    Someone needs to make these springs as they could sell the tiny things for £10 each and I’d still buy them as its cheaper than £60 for a new freehub.

mrben100
    Free Member

Cheers all, forgot to say thanks ❗

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

New freehub time . £60 , comes with the cam plate and will be good for another few years .

mrben100
    Free Member

To tie up the loose ends – bought a new freebody from JRA and solved the problem.

Compared the new and existing side by side – no real discernible difference between spring projection – however thought the ‘ridges’ on the old cam plate seemed ever so slightly flattened compared to the new, might have been the reason for lack of engagement.

IA

To tie up the loose ends – bought a new freebody from JRA and solved the problem.

I just did exactly the same. Though the spring on mine was clearly mullered on the old one. I did kinda get it engaging by bending it out, but I wasn’t happy it’d be reliable. Decided I was fed up of pissing around and it had already done more miles than I expected will little attention so spent the £60.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘American Classic Hub – New or Service’ is closed to new replies.