Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Alterations done by non-NHBC registered builder: Invalidate NHBC warranty?
  • zeesaffa
    Free Member

Hi all,

Does anyone know…

If alterations (such as removing an internal wall or converting a garage) are carried out on a 3 years old property by a builder that is not registered with the NHBC – does that invalidate the 10 year NHBC warranty?

stumpyjon

Having personally seen how useless the NHBC warranty can be I would expect them to use every possible excuse to wiggle out of paying up.

edward2000
    Free Member

This may be entirely incorrect, however I would expect that if building control sign off the alterations, then the NHBC guarantee should remain in place. The following document doesnt help

https://www.nhbc.co.uk/binaries/content/assets/nhbc/homeowners/guidance-docs/your-guide-to-making-changes-to-your-home-or-land.pdf

zeesaffa
    Free Member

Thanks both!

@Edward2000

Actually, that doc is useful. Thank you!

I interpret it as “any alterations / additions carried out will not be covered by the NHBC Warranty & the original structure will still be covered so long as said alterations haven’t impacted the original build.” I think 😉

bruneep

NHBC warranty is not really worth anything really, they will always have a get out clause. Not sure why people hold this with such great value.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Alterations done by non-NHBC registered builder: Invalidate NHBC warranty?’ is closed to new replies.