All in one front lights

Home Forum Bike Forum All in one front lights

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • All in one front lights
  • Saccades

Hope Vision 1 – runs off double AA batteries to should last for ages with hope’s warrenty. Use mine as a spot on the helmet for commuting.

Gemini Xera? I was looking at these last but no-one knew anything about them.

Exposure Sirus? I use a race maxx (one before the road specific strada) on the bars, brilliant but you pay a premium for the premium-ness, don’t compare cost to power ratios to cheap import stuff.

Although apart from the Xera, they are all a lot less power.

Oh, luminous lights too – although the s1 has sold out and the s2 is still waiting after at least 7 months….

steve_b77

I’m looking at getting an ‘all in one’ front light – as in integrated battery so no cables flying all over the place etc.

I’ve come across the Lezyne Mega Drive front light, that puts out 1100 lumens according to MTBR’s 2013 light shoot out, 100 more than claimed and do 1.5hrs on full belt and 3hr’s plus on half power

It looks like a nice light to be honest and they’re relatively cheap, at £140 from CRC with the case and an extra battery.

Are there any other options out there at a similar price?

steve_b77

Any more opinions or options?

Are the Exposure lights worth the extra cash?

Dales_rider

Lezyne macro drive find its good enough to ride off road on its own and the mega drive is brighter so why not.
    BTW sensible not having separate batteries and if you do make sure the light is well fastened on.
    Last Thursday our club ride saw a nasty incident when the front light fell off the bars, into the wheel/spokes did one revolution and came to rest behind the forks. This is the result.

Van Halen

does anyone do anything floody enough for use off road?

Premier Icon variflex
    Subscriber

Exposure are definitely worth the money. IMO they are the best all in one lights. They have a new 2000 lumen head torch which looks good.

I run an all in one exposure maxxd on the bars and a gloworm X1 on the lid, perfect combo IMO…but then again I am biased.

You can use the cycle to work scheme to purchase lights, so can in theory save up to 40% 🙂

Dales_rider

Van Halen – Member

Use the force, floody lights pah !

bristolbiker

Another vote for the Vision 1 – ran one last winter and it was good enough for urban commuting – picked up another one when Wiggle had them on price-drop so will fit both so as the batts run out on one I can just witch tot he other mid-ride, or have both on which will be good enough for unlit roads.

I like my Niterider Lumina 500, has a decent beam pattern, only really ever use it on the low or mid settings on the road. Think you can pick them up for less than £70.

Saying that, I only bought towards the end of last winter, so it’s only seen a month or so use. We’ll see how it fairs this winter.

Saccades

Van Halen – Member

I run a race maxx on the bars (I do think exposure are worth the money, indestructable little unit, excellent clamps, works a treat, have abused mine like crazy and used it loads – battery not holding charge in the freezing cold now after 3 years) which is quite floody and a hope vision one on the helmet (little heavy, but I don’t notice it) which is more of a spot.

I’ve done 24/12, gallons of commuting and general mtb with the combo and never thought I needed more light.

Mind you I remember using a cateye 25W system and thinking I can just about get away with this so I obviously eat my carrots.

If money wasn’t a problem go for the exposure ligths further up the food chain – savage outputs.

Premier Icon roverpig
    Subscriber

I’ve got an old Lumicycle HID, which is awesome on the road. A really penetrating beam pattern and enough power to cope with oncoming cars that don’t dip. But I don”t really get on with it off-road. I’d prefer something with a much wider beam pattern and an all-in-one style sounds sensible too.

Anybody got any pinions on whether the Exposure Reflex is worth the extra over the MaxxD?

Van Halen

i dont want a bar light. i dont see the point of them. when i`m riding my local jumps and berms i need to see further around the corners than a bar light allows. a floody headlight is where its at. i have a nice cabled one (home made!) but its a pain in the arse with teh cable to be honest. especially as i ride fun stuff on my commute. also its a bit brutal for road riding – way bright (not modern light bright but still too much i think).

moon on a stick and all that.

i too had a set of cateyes. leds have ruined night riding. half the fun was not knowing where you were going. i did some good gaps, jumps and shore with them too. dropping off into inky blackness was great. i still have em in the garage i think. maybe i`ll ressurect them for comedy value.

Ramsey Neil

I’ve got the Mega Drive and ran it all last year . It was brighter than the Lupine Wilma that I also own and kept the same level of brightness throughout its battery life . Very impressed with mine , well made , also on autumn or spring nights you can chuck it in your camel back and just get it out for the last hour or so when you may need it .I never needed to use the second battery on a ride because most of the time the 500 lumen setting is plenty of light and even the 250 lumen setting is enough for slow climbs ,roadwork etc . The only real negative for me is that the press sequence makes it a bit strange to toggle between power settings , I think it goes 500 lumens , 1000 , 250 ,flashing and back to 500 . Power gauge works well though .

Premier Icon simmy
    Subscriber

Vision 1 is good, I had one on the MTB for ages, but there is no Battery indicator so it literally just goes off, not just going dim then off, just off.

I discovered that descending down George’s Lane Rivington at a rate. Was ” interesting ” to say the least.

Glad my mates light could throw a bit of light till I’d stopped else I could have hit anything.

Ramsey Neil

You can’t compare the Vision 1 with the Mega Drive about 250 lumens vs 1000

steve_b77

Cheers Ramsey, I was thinking that too. The hope is barely brighter than a Tesco torch.

Especially considering the level of shred gnar riding on here 😉

Premier Icon roverpig
    Subscriber

Is lumens actually a number that has any relevance to off-road riding though? I’m no expert, but I would have thought that where the light goes (i.e. the lens) is just as important as how much you produce.

Premier Icon frogstomp
    Subscriber

Just to say the Mega Drive (and others) are on offer on Sport Pursuit at the moment – £108 for the boxed one or £90 on its own…

Luminous

Oh, luminous lights too – although the s1 has sold out and the s2 is still waiting after at least 7 months….

I’ve been busy, still am.
    http://www.luminouslights.co.uk/S2details.html

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘All in one front lights’ is closed to new replies.