• This topic has 14 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by luket.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Hardcore + hardtail + SS – what’s out there?
  • Malvern Rider
    Free Member

With the recent demise of my old P7 – it got me dreaming.

There used to be a few of these type of bikes back in the day. Orange, Dialled, Genesis etc all had a long-travel hardtail with either sliding dropouts or EBB.

So what does a simple-minded metalhead ride nowadays?

Rules:

-Must be SS out of the box – ie either sliding/switchable dropouts/EBB/track ends
    -Must accept 130mm plus up front

Did emerging standards kill off singlespeed hardtails? Or are just Too Niche To Live/Too Hard To Die?

I know, apart from low maintenance it’s a bike that doesn’t make a lot of sense. But then again neither do a lot of things that are fun.

djflexure

I just bought a Last Bikes Fast Forward frame off here – it does all of the above 140/150mm, sliding drops.

Not many made so probably no help at all.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

^ Nice, but yeah they seem only to do full sussers nowadays.

(Thinks) Just wondering if a Kona Unit would take 650b and 140mm

Anyone here ridden a Kona Honzo ESD?

warpcow
    Free Member

Pace have a couple with sliding dropouts. Was close to buying a 627 myself recently.

tuboflard

Was going to suggest the ESD. Not seen one let alone ridden one but would be interested to try one out. Review on Hardtail Party though

cb200
    Free Member

Stanton Switchback, and you can select the dropout type when ordering.

breadcrumb

I have a half idea in my head of changing 3 MTBs into 2.

This includes a Marino HT frame either with a tensioner for SS or custom with sliding dropouts if possible.

ajantom

DMR Trailstar – has swopouts, so you can go thru axle for gears or track end for SS.

captainclunkz
    Free Member

DMR trailstar will probably be your best bet

Clink

Pipedream do a couple.
    Kona Honzo.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Chameleon?

TheGhost
    Free Member

Pace RC 627
    Pace RC 529
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Kona Honzo
    RSD Middlechild
    Canfield Nimble 9
    Specialized Fuse
    Salsa Timberjack

TheGhost
    Free Member

Spot Rocker

087seb
    Free Member

Defo Pipedream Moxie. It’s the longest slackest SS capable hardtail I know of. I saw a full build for sale on Facebook for £1100 the other day

luket

I’ve been digging around for pretty much the same thing. Pipedream Moxie and Pace RC627 are very similar geo. Identiti Aka is an ally option. Production Privee do track ends.

For me I’m torn between these two steel options and saving a bit of weight, because 2.65kg does seem a lot.

I think a fun bike set up SS makes a lot of sense. Mine’s to replace a well ridden Soul 26 with a 140 fork that was pretty much the equivalent 7 or so years ago but the geo just feels wrong for me now. I can get up my local hill on a singlespeed and the trails going down suit something with a bit more about it. And because I’m short I don’t want a 29er. So why not?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Hardcore + hardtail + SS – what’s out there?’ is closed to new replies.