Home Forums Bike Forum aether 9c vs 9a

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • aether 9c vs 9a
  • subduedsupernova
    Free Member

I have read a few previous threads but now the frames are available at the same price makes the decision more difficult. Anyone rode both?

I test rode the bike and enjoyed it (can’t remember if it was a or c).

Does anyone know what size fork the quoted geo is? Also any shock recommendations?

The Formula mod coil shock option looks tempting

<p style=”text-align: right;”></p>

nixie

I think the geo is with a 140mm fork though 150mm is also fine.

chakaping

Also any shock recommendations?

The Formula mod coil shock option looks tempting

I can’t really help with the Aether, but I have one of these on an Aeris 9.

It’s an excellent shock, especially at the price it was bundled in, but you may later need to get the softer CTS valve for it. The stock medium one is too firm for the suspension on the Aeris IME.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I tested the aether alu, was all set to buy one then the aether c was discounted for the dodgy* finish so went for one of those…

I liked the aether (obviously given i was going to buy one) but found the rear with the inline air shock didn’t suit me, it *felt*like it was blowing through travel and packing down, the o ring told me this was nonsense. Faffing with the pressure and the like improved it a little but at the expense of support in the top of the stroke. It might have been an easy fix if I’d had more time to play but mainly it had me thinking a coil would be better.
    The pike ultimates were way too stiff for my liking (they felt great hammering into stuff at race pace but not so much for a general ride out) but again, might have just needed some setup attention.

Bear in mind my experience is of a demo bike and my own setup a I like so not a completely fair one…

By direct comparison the c doesn’t “surge” as much in my opinion, stamp on the pedals and it goes just fine but it doesn’t have the same lurch forward the alu did however it does feel a bit more supple but supported throughout it’s travel with the “same” inline deluxe, it didn’t have the sudden ramp:spike in resistance the alu seemed to exhibit. (it was an ebay bargain and didn’t stay on the bike long, really only been used for a sense check)

When I first built it up it was setup with a kitsuma coil, it never really suited me (or the frame maybe?) I couldn’t get the spring rate right and the shock setup to provide any level of support in the top stroke without being way too firm. Ended up running with a progressive spring a bit lighter than I would have liked which made for a much less poppy nippy ride than I want from a 130mm bike. (it might have been a fork issue rather than a shock one though and I really should refit it now…)

I’ve swapped it for super deluxe r, the difference is marked, lovely and supple at the top, plenty of support at sag, ramps up nicely, tracks well, doesn’t wallow but it doesn’t flatter the travel like the coil did, it handles things very well for 130mm but it doesn’t let you forget it’s only 130mm.

Forks – I set it up with a pair of mrp ribbon air in the first instance, the more recent choco lux ones. They run very soft, track nicely and setup well use the travel well but they’re no where near supportive enough for me for pedaling, coupled with the coil it almost felt like I was braking instead of pedaling when trying to push on. Setup nicely they were great through rough stuff and down things just not along and up.

I had a bobbins fall and scratched the stanchions, was about to repair them when those 140mm factory 36s came up on crc so bought a set of those instead.

As is I changed them at the same time as the shock so it’s difficult to tell the one from the other but I’m pleased with the current setup. I should try swapping the coil back in and see how it goes now I’ve changed the fork.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I had a 9C with a float X2. I could never get the back end to feel right and assumed I had forgotten how to fettle, but it turns out I just didn’t get on with the frames kinematics.  Really liked its geometry but the kinematic and need for more travel saw me sell mine.

chakaping

I just didn’t get on with the frames kinematics. Really liked its geometry but the kinematic and need for more travel saw me sell mine.

Just curious, but what didn’t you like about the way it felt?

Wasn’t too harsh going fast over bumps, was it?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I need to put a couple of caveats down for this.

1. I am an old school trail hacker. I like janky natural surfaces and ‘Tech flow’. I’m perfectly capable of hoofing it along a trail centre but that’s not where my passions lie.

2. I like rides of this nature that are up, down and around. Technical climbing on the above mentioned surfaces is interesting and rewarding, as is traversing the flat, as long as the surfaces are interesting.

3. Despite my moderate competencies, I’m a princess when it comes to suspension feel.

Those out the way, I found the A9C squatted to sag and was reluctant to move away from this for traction or compliance.

It was good on the steeps and at high speed when forces were up, but it seemed to drag itself along reluctantly on the along and ups, a bit like a teenager on a day trip with their parents.

This characteristic was not very noticeable on fire roads and most trail centre surfaces, but the constant smaller scale rock gardens and roots seems to make it stall endlessly. I was putting out loads of power to compensate and it was killing me compared to my peers – I moved from being in the mix with the group, to being constantly off the back and becoming tired earlier than them.

I don’t know for sure, but I think the kinematic was focussed on stability around sag and seemed to rob it of small bump sensitivity and hook up on everything unless there was a bit of speed involved, plus, even at sag it seemed to squat and then stiffen.

I tried all sorts of tunes with the X2 but could never get the bike to feel how I wanted it. For a number of months I thought I just couldn’t tune the shock, but I set it up easily on the A9Cs replacement and concluded that the A9C just wasn’t what I was looking for.

Rightly or wrongly, I think its a bike designed mostly for trail centre smashing, when you can be on the gas, crunching a bit gear, stood up and have a lovely solid platform to pedal on, the trail surface is relatively smooth and you have speed to help with the suspension feel.

Its not a bike for backwoods singletrack on unknown surfaces where traction comes at more of a premium.

As always, YMMV.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

That doesn’t sound dissimilar to how I found the coil, setup to pedal it didn’t give a lot of traction or much compliance, setup for grip and compliance and have *gobs* of traction but was really quite wallowy, like half the effort went into the linkage. Great throwing it down stuff but a chore as soon as gravity wasn’t on your side.

The deluxe and super deluxe don’t have the same trouble.

Gribs

I bought a 9a as the small weight saving didn’t seem worth the additional cost, the risk of hidden damage after crashing/rock strikes with carbon, and that some people seemed to be having trouble with the pivot hardware on the 9c. I’ve had it 18 months now, done approximately 2300km on it including a few uplift days and enduros. I’ve recently had to replace a shock bushing but all the bearings are still smooth.

This was a useful thread.

New Bike day and first ride: Bird Aether 9c

rootes1

I have a 9a and my riding buddy has a 9c.

the frame geo between them is not the same, on the 9c the seat tube angle steepens as the sizes get bigger and also reach is longer per size than the 9a

We have both of ours with 150mm forks

Weight difference hardly anything to worry about.

His 9C has had more issues in terms of rattling cable runs, cable rub and also creaks/issues with pivots, also the frame generates more noise.

if staying with air and RS then the MegNeg makes a very positive difference.

Visually I think the 9a is a nicer looking bike.

If I was buying I would go for the 9a.

subduedsupernova
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. Shortly going to have a £2500 cycle scheme voucher in my hand. Keep swaying between bird, izzo and ripmo AF.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I replaced my 9C with a carbon Ripmo V2, which, for my uses, knocks the 9C into a cocked hat.

joebristol

@subduedsupernova

Those are 3 very different bikes you’re considering.

If I were going to buy a bird right now I’d pre order the new Aeris AM personally – although for £2500 you aren’t going to get a whole bike I wouldn’t think. After that it would either be the Aether 9a or Aeris 9 probably. I’ve read too many niggly things about the 9c.

The Izzo is much less forgiving over rough ground and would think of it more towards xc / light trail.

The Ripmo AF is a little bit ugly (in my opinion) but well reviewed. Meant to pedal well for a 160mm travel bike.

subduedsupernova
    Free Member

@scienceofficer

Please tell me more, what is your use? How does the Ripmo compare to bird on mellower trails? And what suspension do you have on the Ripmo V2?

@joebristol

I do understand they are different bikes but maybe not too different looking at the geo?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I think my 1st post on your thread covers much of my riding tastes.

I run a Fox Float X2, which I had custom tuned this year because I felt it didn’t change direction fast enough.

The Ripmo is better on mellower trails. It doesnt squat down and drag along reluctantly.

More travel than the A9C, yet a more responsive ride. Same weight. Superior traction in general. No wallowing under power, pert climbing, which usually means reduced traction, but not in this case.

The AF Ripmo is definitely a heavier frame than the comparatively light Aether9A. But based on my experiences with both of them, I’d not hesitate to buy the AF.

scuttler

New Aether 9a (summer special deal) assembled and off for a razz around Claife / Grizedale tomorrow morning 😁

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.