Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Advantages Of A Flat Bar
  • grantway
    Free Member

Very intrested to know what are the advantages of a flat bar
    over the standard riser type

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Lower front end- big in the DH world as forks are longer and higher.

br
    Free Member

More space to hang clutter?

Also it all depends on whether you add spacers below/above to the actual height.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Mine. As you can see, this had some spacers when the pic was taken, although they've gone now. Personally I rather prefer the look of a flat bar, and this one is as heavily swept and wide as most risers. I could get it slightly lower than I could a riser, if that was what was wanted. And, being both rather 90s and not very 'core I prefer the look. 🙂

adstick
    Free Member

In theory you can build it stronger for a given weight too. I still prefer the look of a riser on the right bike though.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

makes you feel proper old skool?

westkipper
    Free Member

Lighter, stronger, usually cheaper for the same quality (Keith Bontrager wuz wrong here!)
    Most MTB's, these days have far too high front ends anyway, indeed, the other day I saw a rider with risers mounted UPSIDE DOWN!, like a penny farthing, to get the front a bit lower on his bike!.

pinches
    Free Member

i've had a hankering to try some. i really want some flat carbons with somewhere between 9 or 11 deg sweep. haven't had chance to find some to try yet though. my carbon risers are starting to look tired 🙁

grantway
    Free Member

Pinches where is the sweep on the flat bars.

pinches
    Free Member

well flat bars are flat, e.g zero rise, all handlebars have sweep, read the spec of a set, ALL handlebars normally have a sweep of 4-5deg.

rise is a completely different measurement to sweep.

so ner.

13thfloormonk

I think Salsa do exactly the bar you're looking for pinches!

Salsa

simondbarnes

They look nicer and fit between trees better (presuming that you get proper ones and not the comedy wide ones 😉

nickc

Lighter, stronger, usually cheaper for the same quality

Carbon risers are pretty light. Never broken a handlebar, don't need it to be stronger, don't want a cheap component in this application, thanks

richcc
    Free Member

Fashion – Turn to the left
    Fashion – Turn to the right
    We are the goon squad
    And we're coming to town
    Beep-beep – Beep-beep

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

my Mum's bought me a pair of the same Truvativ bars that feature on Bigdummy's bike. 700mm wide with 10deg sweep. The front end of my xl trance is way too high, even with the stem flipped, so really looking forward to getting them on.

westkipper
    Free Member

All those things I mentioned are simply useful side effects of losing the shopper bars( and cheaper doesn't always mean cheap)
    The main reason that flats improve things is because the front end is lowered, you'll be able to actually pedal up stuff! and as you'll have more weight on the front wheel it may improve your cornering too!
    Having a less sit-up-and beg position is better for the spine, so you may find your pedalling action is more efficient.

noteeth
    Free Member

I'm still in the mid-90s xc race position – don't know nuffink else. 8)

Coleman
    Free Member

What's all this 700mm wide 10 deg. sweep nonesense?

Real flat bars are well under 600mm wide with a 3 or 5 deg. sweep.

Come on guys if you're gonna do it, do it right. 🙂

richcc
    Free Member

I can recommend Salsa Moto-bars – nice flat, swept and wide and next year you can cut them down to 400mm 😉

schmiken

And bar ends don't look gash on 'em!

pinches
    Free Member

standard "XC race" flat bars come in at about 580.

adstick
    Free Member

All things being equal the shorter the stem the more rise in stem or bars you need. On a 50mm stem I'd much rather have 0 rise with riser bars than a 45 degree stem and flat bars or too many spacers. So it is aesthetics but it depends on what sort of bike. 100mm stems with riser bars look rubbish.

OldGitSurrey
    Free Member

I've flatties, a straight 125mm stem and Onza bar ends. 8)

Tried risers …. nah!!

fraseruk
    Free Member

600mm sounds wide – I think my EC90 bar is only 560mm!

My love of the flat bar comes from a youth spent ogling mid 90s Cannondales and Kleins that I couldn't afford, rather than any real performance benefit!

starseven
    Free Member

Presently using 580mm flat bars. I fancy some 600mm wide though to allow for bar ends. Anyone know who makes a 600mm flat bar?

westkipper
    Free Member

I thought I'd leave it to some of the rest of youse to mention 'the bar end' issue as a good thing too.
    I'm glad you did. 😉

Ambrose

Main advantage of a flat bar- the beer glasses don't slide to one end.

Eldrik
    Free Member

@ starseven

There are loads of 600mm flat bar manufacturers, for example RaceFace, FSA, Truvativ, ControlTech, KCNC – take your pick in either 25.4mm or 31.8mm…..

13thfloormonk

Yup, got to confess i fitted some 685mm wide flat bars (well, 710 but cut them down) just so I could run bar ends on them. I've now got a mega-mountain tourer with wide bar handling but with a climbing position that works and bar ends.

beardie
    Free Member

go for a spin on my original clockwork now n again, x-lite flat and very narrow bars (and onza bar ends), scary, dont know how i used to go so quick on it !

nickc

Kipper, I don't have any trouble climbing or cornering, thanks all the same, you have your fashion, I'll have mine…

Sam

pinches – Member

well flat bars are flat, e.g zero rise, all handlebars have sweep,

not quite true…

😉

I_Ache
    Free Member

I quite fancy some of these. Problem is my Pitch is already hardish to get the front end up as it is so flat bars might* make that worse.

*Can anybody confirm this or have I made it up?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

don't want a cheap component in this application, thanks

Why not? Just because they're cheap don't mean they're weak: Just a bit heavier. I've only ever paid more than £20 for bars the once (EA70s, £45) and they are no different in use to the OE Spesh and £17 Truvative bars I'm using on my bikes now.

quite fancy some of these. Problem is my Pitch is already hardish to get the front end up as it is so flat bars might* make that worse.

*Can anybody confirm this or have I made it up?

Pitches may be hard to wheelie because they are so loooong! Although I don't have too much problem with it.
    And FFS don't put flat bars on one. That's a bit of a wild mismatch. Remember, it's not an XC bike….. 🙂
    I thought the standard ones were fine on mine, but just a tad narrow, so I swapped them for some FSA Maximus bars, which are about 710mm. They are a perfect match for the bike.
    I played around with stem length on mine as well (40mm & 60mm) and it didn't improve the bike at all, so I stuck with the standard one. I think Spesh have made a good job of setting them up, TBH. 🙂

I_Ache
    Free Member

The bar in the link is no xc bar Peter!

I am umming and arring whether I need a wider bar or not. Ive got a 70mm syncros stem that puts the bars in a good place as well as plenty of spacers that I can move around but I am unsure if I should get a wider bar or not. I know a flat bar would make sense if I boosted my forks up to 170mm that might even make the bar height lower than it is now.

hels
    Free Member

Better position for climbing and faster somehow, again prolly to do with riding position. Disadvantages, minor handling degradation and not so easy to get the front up, but that can be remedied with a shorter stem.

Can be cropped more easily too if you are small.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

west kipper – Member

……………………..
    Having a less sit-up-and beg position is better for the spine, so you may find your pedalling action is more efficient.

I am unconvinced its better for your spine – I certainly find a more upright position better for my back and it would appear to keep your back more in natural alignment.

A low bar you tend to loose the lumbar concave curve and exaggerate the cervical concave curve

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The bar in the link is no xc bar Peter!

I am umming and arring whether I need a wider bar or not. Ive got a 70mm syncros stem that puts the bars in a good place as well as plenty of spacers that I can move around but I am unsure if I should get a wider bar or not. I know a flat bar would make sense if I boosted my forks up to 170mm that might even make the bar height lower than it is now.

Fair enough. 🙂

You are aware Pitches are only rated up to 160mm aren't you? Probably won't make too much difference tho…..

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Such guff talked about this subject.
    Does anyone actually measure the distance from ground-to-grips?
    Or just assume their bars must be lower/higher/wider/narrower this year cos someone said it on the internet?

nickc

Why not? Just because they're cheap don't mean they're weak: Just a bit heavier

This may be true, it also may be true that the manufacture process isn't as rigorous, and the QC process isn't happening, or that they use cheaper materials…Hey, it's a personal thing, we all have choices.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Advantages Of A Flat Bar’ is closed to new replies.