Home Forums Bike Forum Accidently pressing brake levers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Accidently pressing brake levers
  • mrdoubletake
    Free Member

When I put my bike in the car I have to take my wheels off.
    Now don’t ask me how and it doesn’t matter how careful I am, I manage to close the pads together so I cant get the discs in and have to go through the faff of opening them up to get the wheels back on.
    Whats the STW consensus on keeping the pads apart in transit?

MrNutt
    Free Member

I have things I stick in them, little plastic whatnots

sc-xc

bit of folded cardboard?

spooky_b329

UPVC window packers would probably be one of the better solutions as they come in different thicknesses, just hold them in with a elastic band.

I tend to go for the ‘try not to pull the levers’ option though…which often fails…

If you can be bothered to remove the pads, I find the 8mm spanner used for bleeding the brakes is the best tool for pushing the pistons back – ring end over the piston and position the handle in the slot to the side of the brake (on my minis/mono minis anyway) Piston always goes in straight this way.

If I’m in a rush its just a flat bladed screwdriver within the pads.

steel4real
    Free Member

As above – when I only had hopes, folded card.

Since I’ve had Avids & Shimano, the plastic insert they come with, which also fit the Hopes (with an elastic band to keep in place), so that’s what I use now.

mrdoubletake
    Free Member

Some good ideas guys, thanks.
    Spooky I like the idea of using the 8mm spanner, never thought of that one, thanks.

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve only ever transport my bikes in the car, and even when I’ve crammed multiple bikes in the back of my car going to races I’ve never squeezed a brake lever!

Most brakes will have little spacers which clip in, ask your LBS, they’ll probably have hundreds of them!

bland

2pence pieces and zip tie the lever to the bar when flying

Oggles
    Free Member

Made some custom injection moulded spacers for my hopes 8)

zaskar
    Free Member

Shimano have that orange thing that comes with the caliper:

Surfr
    Free Member

I did this last week after a night ride and asked on here for advice. I’ve just remembered to go look and I’ve found the orange plastic bits in the bag of stuff Merlin gave me with the bike :D Cheers for reminding me.

kiwi_stu
    Free Member

try a 2p coin… not much use for anything else now days …

spooky_b329

Oggles…show me more! If they just clip into the caliper you could have a nice little earner there.

I’d want set Hope Mini, Hope Mini Mono and Formula ORO spacers :)

Oggles
    Free Member

They just sit in the caliper and clip around the pad retention pin.

spooky, I’ll see if i have any spares lying around. made about a dozen or so but not sure where i put the extras :?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Jebus. I use a screwdriver afterwards.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Accidently pressing brake levers’ is closed to new replies.