Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • A 'what commuter motorbike' question
  • 18BikesMatt
    Free Member

I’ve been using the cg125 for a little while now and am planning to do my test at some point, but I’m wanting to do some costings before I start so I’m trying to work out what bike I may end up with.

My use:

Commuting 10-15 miles in the peak district (may be changing to outskirts of Sheffield into peaks). I probably won’t use it for fun or carrying a passenger. Aiming to commute 10ish months a year unless someone can convince me I can use it all year no problems

My moon on a stick requirements:

– cheap to buy
    – cheap to insure
    – good mpg (similar to cg125 if possible)
    – more power uphill
    – comfortable on rougher roads (also less vibration)
    – easy for me to do most maintenance (like the cg)
    – something I won’t look as stupid on (6ft on a cg looks ridiculous)
    – some luggage space would be handy but not essential

My initial thoughts are an old Honda 250-400 with a fairing (if such a thing exists) but I don’t really know what’s around. Would a big scooter be ok with rougher roads? (I’m thinking reverse of 29er logic here, small wheels=falling into potholes)

Matt

(the reason I’m asking here is if you google ‘best commuter motorcycle’, singletrackworld is the fourth result so you must know what you’re on about)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

honda CB 500 Its the only answer unless you get a megascooter ( which would be my choice)

monogramman
    Free Member

Sv650 Suzuki

V twin power and good, fun handling yet relaxed enough for commuting.

OK on fuel too.

18BikesMatt
    Free Member

My main concern would be fuel economy on something that size, what am I likely to achieve? (I’ve tried googling but mpg doesn’t seem to matter to motorbikers).

What would you class as a big scooter? 200? 300? 600?

Thanks
    Matt

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Fuel economy with either bike mentioned will be OK – not great. Scooter – for what you are doing 250 cc+ IMO

All year round is no problem especially with a scooter with its weather protection

SV 650 more fun maybe – cb 500 more practical / cheaper.

porter_jamie

a big scooter would be ideal for all weather commuting, a yamaha tmax for example, but they are unbelievably expensive.

cb500 would be very good, especially if you found one with a fairing, and invested in goretex gear.

Moe

CB500 but try to make sure it’s not been used for training, it’ll probably be pretty obvious if it has, ie scuffed casings and body work. Suzuki also did a 500 twin. Plentiful spares and simple to maintain for both.

18BikesMatt
    Free Member

Re fuel economy, for a cb500 are we talking ok for a car sort of mpg? In order for the numbers to work I need to be getting in the region of 70mpg+ otherwise I’ll just take the car. If the only way to do that is stick with the cg then maybe that’s what I will do.

I like the simplicity of a scooter but what else would I gain?

Seems like I wasn’t too far off with my thoughts. I will look into faired cb500’s

Thanks
    Matt

br
    Free Member

For that kinda commute and to be as cheap as chips you’d be wanting a simple new/newish scooter, say 125cc. Anything else is just overkill. 😉

My last commuter, obviously paying no attention to the above advice…

Edit – tbh once you get onto decent bikes, you’re into car-like costs

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You will not get 70 mpg from anything but a cg125 sort of bike I would have thought

sam_underhill

60 mpg on my old ’92 Gs500. It isn’t going to win any awards, but it’s my first bike and if fun enough for now.

Stoner
    Free Member

I get 110mpg on my 125cc scooter.
    Im planning on doing my test in a few months having done a few thousand miles on the scooter since my CBT at the beginning of the year.

Even after the test, I doubt Id get rid of the PCX 125, it’s so nice to ride and with great mpg. I also fitted a large windscreen to it for added weather/wind protection.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Once someone can show me a safe way of attaching a downhill bike to a motorbike, then I’ll do my license.

donsimon
    Free Member

Once someone can show me a safe way of attaching a downhill bike to a motorbike, then I’ll do my license.

Are the racks that are available not suitable for DH bikes?

singlecrack
    Free Member

Sv650 without a doubt one of the best commuters .

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

bwaarp – Member

donsimon
    Free Member

(the reason I’m asking here is if you google ‘best commuter motorcycle’, singletrackworld is the fourth result so you must know what you’re on about)

Only when it comes to being found by Google. 😛

You haven’t said what you do, if you wear a suit then a proper bike isn’t going to be a good idea after you’ve creased everything under the waterproofs. Go for a scooter, there’s some pretty beefy scooters out there.

If that’s not a problem I’d be looking at something like the SV650 or Fazer. At 6′ you’ll be too tall for the BMW 650F, maybe the BMW GS800, but they’re not going to be anywhere near the cost of the 125.
    For me? I’d have either the GS 800 or GS1200.

18BikesMatt
    Free Member

Thought my username was a giveaway, I run 18bikes in hope, I don’t normally bother with a suit 😉

I’m now thinking going bigger will loose a lot of the advantages, I will look into how much better a modern cg125 or 125 scooter would be (from a power/vibration perspective). If they are a bit better then maybe sticking small is best.

Another option would be to put a bigger engine in the cg, I gather 140’s are available, but I’m not convinced this will improve it much.

Maybe a slightly bigger scooter, like the 200 vespas, would be a good in betweener

anagallis_arvensis

If you’ll be too tall for an F650 bmw (which you wont be) a sv or cb 500 will be tiny. I comute on an ol f650 the sinvle cylinder older type. Its ideal for what you describe.

donsimon
    Free Member

Thought my username was a giveaway, I run 18bikes in hope, I don’t normally bother with a suit

That’ll be the recession, no? 🙂
    If the roads are rough, I’d forget about the Vespa option. Cool as they are for city riding, you’ll have a nightmare on the open road.
    Scooterwise, have you looked at the Burgman style?
    What about a dirt bike? DR400? Give the roads a miss altogether.

18BikesMatt
    Free Member

The shop is doing fine, the reason for my tightness (and also the reason for the possible move to Sheffield) is that my gf will be starting a masters next year so funds will be tight.

The roads round here are a bit of a mixed bag, I wonder if the bigger wheeled scooters (fly 125?) wold haHndle it better, although I can’t find anything with bigger wheels and bigger engine.

Not against any style at the moment, basically whatever will fill my needs best, running costs take priority over everything else though

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will look into each option

dan1980
    Free Member

I will look into how much better a modern cg125… would be

I ride a CBF125 (the modern version of the CG) and I struggle to maintain 50 on 10% inclines, and approaching 60 it feels like my brain is being vibrated out of my skull.

It’s still cracking fun though! 🙂

monkeyp

The Honda PCX is a fantastic little scoot for commuting. 120mpg here and a top speed of 65 (on the speedo). I do a 45 mile round trip for about 90% of my commutes and it is great. Occasionally feel the need for a bit more power and may consider the Honda Integra at some point. Pricy, new, but promises good things.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Yamaha Thundercat (YZF600)
    Crazy reliable, good looks, big for a 600 (suits bigger rider), cheap as chips!
    Ive owned 3 now and still regretting selling the last one. You can pick up a low miler in great shape for around £1250 if you are patient.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Get a scooter. From some one who commutes on a 604 CCM.
    Equally stay small.
    I ran a CRF230 Honda which gave 85 to the gallon on a 25 mile commute on open roads, hills and slow traffic. Only issue was crap lights and no indicators.
    The answer?
    Find a SL230. whopping front light and indicators. Trail styling and suspensions so roads, crap snow etc no issue. Comfy seat, same engine as my CRF but better gearing. Nice stable position for crap roads and high enough to see over cars. Plenty of green laning where you live.
    Unless its motorway work a big bike is an indulgence.

MKCHRIS
    Free Member

Hi Matt,

Try a Transalp or XT660.

I’m 6’1 and started on a CG125,then an SV both a little on the small side but the SV is fun.

On a 650 Transalp now-it should tick most of your boxes.

Stoner
    Free Member

Here’s my PCX.
    I get 110mpg as opposed to monkeyp’s morally superior 125mpg because I rag the nuts off it everywhere, weigh 95Kg and between my 6’4″ frame and the big windscreen take on the aspect of paving slab in a headwind. But that’s still an amazing economy IMO.
    [img]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ZoXPt-ezLAY/T5Uea2G7J7I/AAAAAAAABOc/o4GTabbJxIk/s400/P1010510.JPG[/img]
    Ive always wanted a big transalp, but even if I did get one (and I might pick up an old second hand one for fun once Ive done my test) I doubt Id use it in place of the PCX.

Really smooth ride, responsive, comfortable. I got mine on 3yrs 4% finance from Honda. £2,500 ish with the box and the windscreen fitted. With the box and the under seat I can stow my lid and riding bits when I get to the train station. Also carry my toolkit.

konabunny
    Free Member

Re fuel economy, for a cb500 are we talking ok for a car sort of mpg? In order for the numbers to work I need to be getting in the region of 70mpg+ otherwise I’ll just take the car. If the only way to do that is stick with the cg then maybe that’s what I will do.

I apologise In advance because I am sure you have done the calculations but surely it would be a massive number of miles before it would make sense to buy a mnew (meaning additinal) motorbike instead of using an existing car?

weeksy

XT660’s aren’t particularly economical, i’ve had 3.

br
    Free Member

I apologise In advance because I am sure you have done the calculations but surely it would be a massive number of miles before it would make sense to buy a mnew (meaning additinal) motorbike instead of using an existing car?

Correct, unless there are other reasons – for me its time (often saves 1-2 hours per day with London commutes vs car/train), and that I can pretty much park anywhere (usually for free).

shifter
    Free Member

If you don’t want it for fun you may as well keep the CG.
    Train in on the grim days & cycle on the lovely days?

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’m with those saying keep what you have for economy. I commute on an FZ600N and the only reason I do is because traffic and parking are such a hassle otherwise I’d be in the car keeping my hair nice.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I wouldn’t want anything less than a 250 for that sort of commute and I’d rule out scooters as I don’t like them out of town. Something like the CB250R or similar might be a decent choice although personally I’d accept a bit of a hit on fuel consumption and go bigger.

CB500 would be good if you can find a decent one. Best year round mid-size commuter is the Honda Deauville though (shaft drive) and early ones can be had reasonably cheap. I used to only get 45mpg on mine in general riding but plenty of folks with more throttle restraint report 60mpg+ (and I used to get those sort of consumption figures when two-up on gentle touring).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If you thin a cg125 is full of vibrations then motorbikes aren’t for you!

Big MPG usually means big singles (or mid sized twins) as despite being inefficient they rev so slowly that they never get to burn any fuel. Reviews would suggest that W650, BMW 650 and Enfield 500 all do 80+ mpg although I’d not pay over the odds for dental work as it’ll rattle out. On the other hand I’ve done 200 miles on the back of a XT500 (with the stupid f**** plastic yamaha badge digging into my ass) so my idea of comfort may have been slightly warped.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

honda CB 500 Its the only answer

If you can find one for a reasonable price that’s not wrecked or been to the moon and back let me know. I’ve got money waiting.
    You’ll get a far better bike for your money buying a good 600. All the 500 twins seem to be in demand as used bikes and are not available new any more. 400s and 250s haven’t been sold new in the UK in any significant numbers for many years now (apart from trail bikes) so are very scarce but hold their price due to the 33hp restricted licence market. Scooters over rough roads will be horrible due to their small wheels. Think trying to ride your favourite trails on a BMX.

monkeyp

As for the cost savings, the op is about right. For a 2k bike + insurance, tax etc etc 80mpg is about the break even point for me WITHOUT getting rid of the car. For the PCX I need to use it just over 2 times a week (4 day week) for my commute to break even assuming the car is used the rest of the week.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Is good:

18BikesMatt
    Free Member

Ok, my calculations are based on a few things you won’t know. I am looking at total vehicle costs for two people, which at the moment is two car loans, 3 lots of tax and insurance and a metric assload of petrol. Things will be changing so we will be doing less miles but essentially we are aiming to have vehicles better suited to the use they get and reduce overall costs. We will be going more down the bangernomics route with e main aim of eliminating the major monthly cost of the loans. The next big cost is the fuel now that my insurance is at a reasonable level. I can tax and insure the cg125 for about half a months worth of fuel in the car, provided other costs are kept low (which basically means parts as I will do as much maintenance as possible myself) I should save money compared to using the car all the time. It will definitely be cheaper than the current situation. I realise the very cheapest way of doing it would be a really economical car or bike on their own, but this doesn’t give the option of a comfortable car for longer journeys/moving bikes/giving lifts etc

Re bike choice, I think I will have to accept that if I want mega mpg, I can’t have proper power and my commute will take 5mins longer, I am ok with this if it saves me money.

I’m thinking a new 125 (for reliability reasons) is probably going to be the best option, but I need to look into what’s out there. Does/has anyone made a faired 125 that might be a bit nicer to ride? I think a scooter might be a good option but I’d need to try one on the kind of roads I’ll be riding

Thanks for all the advice

Matt

shifter
    Free Member

If you need to analyse costs to this degree I’d say you probably don’t want three vehicles!

That said, the only thing that I can think of that would suit your needs is a 125 Varadero – tall seat for a tall lad, screen, Honda reliability(?), should be ok on dodgyish roads.

18BikesMatt
    Free Member

I realise that running one car and a motorbike would probably be the absolute cheapest option but we would have quite a few situations where it would cause problems. I have also wanted a motorbike for a long time so this is a good way of doing it. I’m reluctant to get rid of a car and loose all the no claims that have taken so long to get.

I had a quick look at varaderos last night and I couldn’t find anything particularly cheap, I’m guessing they are quite a new model. That’s probably the sort of thing that I’m picturing but it would need to be a bit cheaper

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘A 'what commuter motorbike' question’ is closed to new replies.