Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • A bit OT: Cycling the Hebridean Way
  • Teetosugars
    Free Member

Anyone done it?

Looks pretty amazing if I’m honest, and am thinking of heading up this year,
    after a monumentally crap 2017, I need to plan more in 2018..

So, any pointers?

ton

me and Karen have done it Nick.
    did the bottom ( arran, islay, jura, colonsay and kintyre ) one year, than went back the following year to do the Hebrides.
    barra, south uist, benbecula, north uist, harris, lewis, skye, ardnamurchan and mull.

probably the best places i have been on a bike.
    and ok for your mrs too. the distances between digs are not to far.

email me for a list of great places we stopped if you want em.

nbt

Did a lovely one week circular tour a couple of year back – Ferry from Oban to Barra, up to Tarbert on Lewis, down Skye and Ardnamurchan. Beautiful. As ton says, once of the best laces I’ve been (though in truth we were in the car as Jane wasn;t well enough even to ride the tandem), I’m certainly thinking we’ll be back before too long

Likewise, routes and plans available if you want inspiration

scotroutes

Lots.

It’s developed quite a bit in the few years since I did it but I’ve been back for holidays since and we have a steady stream of customers for both bike hire and transport.

I assume you are talking about the road/cycling version now signposted as NCN 780? There is a walkers version also but it’s not particularly bike friendly.

Take your time. At least a week. Be prepared for lots of time off the bike.

Book early if you are looking for accommodation. Like really early. Got anything planned this afternoon?

Best time is June. The machair will be in bloom, the birds will have chicks and the days are long.

Most folk head north-east to make the most of the prevailing wind but it’s not certain. You can have 5 days of headwinds(though northerlies tend to be drier).

Midges aren’t a huge problem (see above).

There are more tea shops/cafes than there used to be but always carry some provisions.

The route through the Uists is straightforward enough, though a detour to the east coast when you get to Loch Druidibeag is recommended. On Harris the best beaches are on the west.

Go all the way to the Butt of Lewis. Folk who say Lewis is flat and boring are wrong.

There is an excellent transport service available that can pick you up in Ullapool and take you back to Oban. Or get the train to Oban and back from Inverness.

That should be enough for starters.

nbt

ooh, tell us more. Can they take multiple tandems?

tjagain

I have done a cycle tour of the Hebrides and had a great time. Starting from Oban – ferry to Barra, cycle/ferry to Lewis Ferry from Harris to Skye, Skye to Mallaig, cycle down thru arisaig and ardnamurchan ferry onto mull, cycle across mull ferry to Oban. The Inner Hebrides / mainland bit is as good as the outer Hebrides and they are very good indeed. That was under 400 miles and an easy fortnights tour

We camped on deserted beaches, in our own stone circle, we saw eagles and wildflowers on the machair. Really beautiful, lovely cycling and a tour I will repeat

ton

On Harris the best beaches are on the west.

But the golden road on the east is by far the best cycling road on Harris. it is awesome.

scotroutes

Two tandems with riders will be possible.

We even have two tandems for hire.

http://www.tickettoridehighlands.co.uk/

kcal

druidh should be along in a bit.
    couple of mates did it last year, had a nice time. other mates did it several years ago, S-N but hit northerly winds a lot.

South to North is generally better as you get a bit more SW prevailing wind (generally).
    Accommodation can be a problem – Ian & Keith I think found stuff eventually but at one point toyed with a trailer with tent &c as Hebrides seemed to be fully booked over the summer. I think Road Equivalent Pricing for the ferries has seen a big spike in tourist traffic – all to the good for local businesses but stretches the accommodation a lot.

They also had a palaver getting sorted for onto island transport, as left from Oban but arrived at Ullapool. I think they ended up shuttling two vans around to make it work.

Inner Hebrides would also work, Mull, Ardnamurchan, and you’ve also got Islay, Arran, Mull of Kintyre to check out.

tjagain

Some pics to whet your appetite
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/21N8Lz2]IMG_2657cropped[/url] by TandemJeremy, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/238NXep]IMG_2431[/url] by TandemJeremy, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/F18vYu]IMG_2599[/url] by TandemJeremy, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/224aGVU]IMG_2315[/url] by TandemJeremy, on Flickr

whitestone
    Free Member

Have done the same circular tour as tjagain and nbt. We had headwinds all the way north and went via the Gold Road to Tarbert. The bit across Skye is a pain as there’s not much option between Sligachan and Broadford to avoid the main road but apart from that it was pretty traffic free.

scud
    Free Member

We did the Outer Hebrides by fat bike, working our way down the beaches along the coasts, highlight for me was riding across the beach at Barra before realising it was also the runway.

Really friendly place too, not once did a car not give way to us at passing places on the roads, beautiful views, the odd eagle and no midges!

Our trip:

dovebiker

Drove around quite a few of the Isles last May – the couple attempting to ride from Stornoway to Tarbert against a 30mph headwind and heavy showers didn’t appear to be enjoying themselves. Came across a party riding the Golden Road on Bromptons – looked like they were struggling on the downhill twisties in places. Will be heading back that way in spring – see if I can stash a bike in the back of the van.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Cheers all.
    Lots to go in.
    Tony, I’ll drop you a line..

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘A bit OT: Cycling the Hebridean Way’ is closed to new replies.