Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • £9250 specialized tarmac disc
  • plus-one

Jings I’ll no be able to afford one even if it’s half price :-/

https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/mens-s-works-tarmac-disc/p/134480?color=240919-134480

theotherjonv

I was going to get one, just checking through spec and found this.

PEDALS         Nylon, 105x78x28mm, loose balls w/ reflectors

which is a deal breaker I’m afraid, Spesh has lost a sale by scrimping on the finer points 😉

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

If I sell both our cars and all 11 of our bikes, and then save up for a year, I reckon I could afford it.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Not unusual for a top end bike to cost that much though is it ?

Bit pricey I’ll admit, maybe more £8k and folks wouldn’t moan..

But it is Spesh innit.

steve_b77
    Free Member

To be fair that looks bloody lovely, now where did I leave that spare kidney

philjunior
    Free Member

The wheels are optimised in a win tunnel. I’m in.

zilog6128

that’s what I thought tbh. Plus it comes with their brand-new ds power meter which no doubt adds a bit to the cost.

DezB
    Free Member

Well a top end bike, but from a common brand. If you’re gonna spend bespoke money, surely it’d go to something rather more exclusive..? Mine would anyway. If I had it. Which I don’t.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hubbah hubbah.

mike_p
    Free Member

It’s an intelligence test… if you’re prepared to pony up for that then you’re a certifiable idiot

lunge

I’m not a Spec fan and even I like the look of that, proper dream build territory IMO. Could never afford it, obviously, but it does look lush.

zilog6128

I always assumed bikes like these were mainly promotional tools for brands/shops. If someone actually buys it, happy days, otherwise it’s a great talking point & at the end of the year they just discount it & someone gets a “bargain” and is very happy!

tomhoward

There’s one in my local concept store, might pop down to teaba…. I mean, look at it…

daern
    Free Member

It’s an intelligence test… if you’re prepared to pony up for that then you’re a certifiable idiot

Sure, but everyone has different budgets at their disposal and, in the larger scheme of things, even expensive bikes are relatively cheap. I’m not saying that everyone should immediately rush out to buy one, but I’ve never been a fan of the “if you ride a posh bike you’re an idiot” idiom. It just smells a little of envy to my nose…

mos

£7250 in 12 months i bet ya. The current one has 25% off.

onandon
    Free Member

Tan wall tires. I’m ooooot

ferrals
    Free Member

You could spend a little more and get this though..Scott spark ultimate

You get a goldie looking chain!

tthew

That does look gert lush, even with the tan wall tyres. Does it have a quite long head tube though, or is that my imagination?

What I’m really asking, is it actually a race bike, or a sportive trundler for low ranking executives with more money than talent – er, sense? [/jealousy]

bikebouy
    Free Member

I looks like a race bike to me, for sportives… it’s got discs on and only MAMIL’s would ride a  road bike with discs..

T’is pretty, I like the lack of “promotional” stickers and overt bling.. almost looks minimal..

avdave2

. almost looks minimal..

Helped I’m sure you’ll agree by not having those horrible caliper thingies on it

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

only MAMIL’s would ride a  road bike with discs..

Oh, and Tom and Marcel send their regards, too. As does the Trek Segafredo team from the Strade Bianchi.

aracer
    Free Member

I’d want moar aero for that money.

cookeaa

I’m going to buck the trend here and Say I don’t find it all that amazing to look at, it’s just another “Aeroad” bike to me, I’m sure the price can be justified but I’d just baulk at spending £10K on it, it doesn’t really lookvery “Special” compared to all the other vanity sleds on the market today.

Definitely a promotional tool rather than a proper “Top End” product, it’s function being to make the rest of the range appear good VFM by contrast rather than something they actually expect to be flogging by the container load…

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Mleh, looks like a mid range Boardman.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I’ve got one on order.

What I’m really asking, is it actually a race bike, or a sportive trundler for low ranking executives with more money than talent – er, sense? [/jealousy]

I’m not sure anyone would fork out 10k of their own money on an actual race bike (ie. for actually racing on). The chances of smashing it up in its first bunch spill are far too high.

Can you road race on discs nowadays?

daern
    Free Member

Can you road race on discs nowadays?

British Cycling allow them for all domestic, competitive races from 1st Jan 2018, but the UCI still haven’t opened the gates beyond trials, so don’t expect to see much sight of them at the TdF, Vuelta et al this year.

TiRed

When did they steal the Giant Defy’s dropped seatstays? Looks OK to me, if discs are your thing. They’ve always tried to differentiate their “premium” brand with “S WORKS” shouting loudly from the frames, for those in the know.

Not really a value thing though, is it? But cost is only a little ambitious. 2.5K frame, Dura Ace Di2 disc £2.5K, £1K power meter (really a dual sided 4iii), £2K wheels, finishing kit £750, makes that about £9K list price. Cheaper components are available.

pdw
    Free Member

Definitely a promotional tool rather than a proper “Top End” product, it’s function being to make the rest of the range appear good VFM

This. £10k bikes exist to make spending £5k on a bike appear in some way sane.

bikebouy
    Free Member

We all know CFH you love Discs.. no need to get shirty.. you’ve made your points clear many times.

Oh, and Tom and Marcel send their regards, too. As does the Trek Segafredo team from the Strade Bianchi.

Do they, how lovely.. I must thank them.. I’ll Insta them and thank them individually.. Must have missed them..

Cheers.

MAMIL lover.

downhillfast
    Free Member

Doesn’t look anything special to me.

If I was jizzing £9k+ on a bike I’d want it to have speed activated aero features, be lighter than air, have a cool front light like KITT from Knightrider, and have a proper beer receptacle!

bob_summers

To be fair that frame was never going to look pretty, disks or not.  I’d still have one though.

daern
    Free Member

Now I think about it, the bit that offends me the most is the visible cables running from the levers to the brakes, which could be internally routed with a bit of care and attention. I’m not suggesting that it’s practical or anything, but a completely cableless bike looks pretty bling to my uneducated eyes 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member

you called ?

actually £10k, it’s amazing what £750 buys you 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

The moar I look at it the moar I kinda like it. Ya you know my feelings on Discs, but if you take the aesthetic value into consideration it’s a neat looking bike.. as I mentioned earlier “minimal” It’s better in the red/white than a dull grey thats for sure….

daern
    Free Member

Yeah, that BMC (“Team Machine?”) is one heck of a bike. I’d definitely spend the extra £750 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member

unfortunately i don’t like carrying stuff in my pockets so they might not look quite as slick with saddle bag, frame pump and grazing pouch 🙂 How much for the team car ?

daern
    Free Member

OK, so I’m nitpicking, but that BMC, lovely though it may be, is not a true “integrated cockpit” as they claim. If you look here, you can clearly see where the cables are routing between the bar and the stem:

Now, I’m not saying this is a bad thing or anything, but you’ve just dropped £10k on a bike and they can’t even manage to hide the cables properly? No, I’m offended and every time I rode it, it would annoy the hell out of me that they couldn’t do a proper job of it.

And the daft thing is that it can be done without too much difficulty:

(from the documentation for this:)

Note the lack of top tape, and yet the cables are still completely hidden.

Nope, sorry. The BMC is rubbish and that’s all there is to it 🙂

TiRed

Might want some Arundel water bottle holders too. Have six, two per carbon bike. That’s another £100 or so.

tpbiker
    Free Member

People say its daft spending that amount of money on a bike. But it’s all about priorities  I’d much rather spend 9 k on that and 1k on a used car than 1k on a bike and 9 k on a car that would suck all joy out of life.. A vauxhall viva for example . Costs about 9k and utterly joyless.

I would not buy a 9 k bike because the marginal gains over the one I ha enough costing about a third of that would be miniscule..but if I was rich.  Why not..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘£9250 specialized tarmac disc’ is closed to new replies.