Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • 5 pence per carrier bag in Wales from today
  • CHB

I do reuse carrier bags. What I am saying is that in the grand scheme of things its a complete waste of time to worry about using a few carrier bags while we continue to use vast amounts of the same stuff moving large heavy metal boxes (which I am very guilty of doing).

druidh
    Free Member

We use carrier bags as our kitchen bin. If I don’t get them free, I’m going to have to buy some. Net environmental saving – nil.

scratch
    Free Member

I’m more for the reduced litter argument than bringing global warming to an end a week sooner, hopefully it’ll be one less piece of needless packaging I’ll see in bushes/trees/forestry car parks/national parks…etc

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Could have been an interesting thread if people had ignored CM.

or not started calling him names, or not start making unsubstantiated claims, or not started making up things about him.

spooky_b329

I’m for it. It’ll be slightly annoying when I forget to bring the reusable bags, but then it’ll give me something to remember.

Those Bag for Life things…never realised how good they were til I got a voucher for some freebie ones a couple of years ago. 5 or 6 of them will carry about £80 of shopping and fit nicely in the trolley and the boot, and when I can’t park near my house, it only takes a couple of trips to carry it all in and I still have feeling in my fingers afterwards. And I can walk to the smaller closer supermarket half a mile away and still buy a decent amount of stuff without having to struggle on the way back home or triple bag anything with sharp corners 🙂

AdamW
    Free Member

CharlieMungus said:

You’re a moron.

Quite apt that, about Wales. You just called him a carrot. 😀

CHB

scratch, I agree that any stuff litteing the outdoors is an eyesore, however I don’t think that litter is what is driving this Welsh policy.
    If it was litter then how about 3p on a canned drink, and 10p on a pizza box and 20p on a styrofoam takaway box. Oh and 2p on every piece of candy packaging. That would cover most of what I see littering the streets of Leeds. Don’t see many carrier bags.

I am all for saving the planet and cutting litter, but carrier bags is NOT where to start, the only thing it reduces is middle class guilt.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

and 12 pence on every syringe

project
    Free Member

CHB – Member
    If it was litter then how about 3p on a canned drink, and 10p on a pizza box and 20p on a styrofoam takaway box. Oh and 2p on every piece of candy packaging. That would cover most of what I see littering the streets of Leeds. Don’t see many carrier bags.

Posted 7 minutes ago # Report-Post

TESCO, are slowly installing machines at their recycling banks at cart parks, that pay out clubcard points for recycling cans and plastic bottles.

zokes
    Free Member

CHB – Member
    The welsh thing is complete greenwash.

For someone who clearly has a vague grasp of mathematics, you’ve exhibited some astounding stupidity if you think it’s just the oil in the bag itself that’s the reasoning. Sure, it’s a small part of it, as is the much larger amount required to provide the energy for the manufacture of said bag. What’s the issue is the damage they cause to the environment directly.

An obvious example is that when floating in the ocean, to a turtle, they look pretty much like a jellyfish….

Cougar

That would cover most of what I see littering the streets of Leeds.

Can we start recycling fag ends?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member
    CharlieMungus
    Free Member

An obvious example is that when floating in the ocean, to a turtle, they look pretty much like a jellyfish..

Yeah! Obvious!

CaptJon
    Free Member

Where does the money go?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

charidee mate!

chriswilk
    Free Member

all for it, should go further and make all the money go to litter picking / recycling / tree planting / “green” charities and schemes.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

That’s nothing, they cose way more over here in Ireland.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

then you should come here and buy your plastic bags

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

or think of the turtles…

CHB

Zokes, thanks for your affectionate and reasoned reply.
    You are right I didn’t include the energy to make the bag.
    I do know enough about polyethylene production and extruded PE films to know that the energy input needed to make the bag is less than the amount of material in the bag. But lets assume its the same. So now you can drive your car 200m for the energy impact of a carrier bag.

As for the turtles, well I shop at Sainsburys, and frankly if the little ninja feckers can’t see a bright orange JS bag then I suggest Darwin is at work.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

They can see them, it’s just that they think they are yummy jellyfish

CHB

Do you get orange jellyfish with writing on?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

No, but the bags float upside down and so the turtles can’t read them

CHB

Oh thats OK then, mine are always thrown away with Labrador poo in the bottom, so they would be the right way up, and probably sink.
    Just googled, there are orange jellyfish! None look like a JS carrierbag.

On a more sensible note, can anyone quantify the effect on UK carrierbags entering the oceans of the world? Let alone killing Turtles? Compared with the brutal fishing methods employed accross the world I suspect the effect is minimal, but am happy to see evidence if someone has it.

The other thing to consider with all plastics is the effect of micronised plastics in the foodchain.

Still compared with the vast amounts of fuel and other plastic crud we use I stand by the point that carrierbags are just a sop to calm middleclass guilt.

donsimon
    Free Member

Orange check.
    Writing check.
    Plastic check.
    Would you? 😉

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Ok, back to the B&Q issue, i accept, I’d pay 5 pence to put my tools in that.

CHB

Yes, I would happily throw her into the ocean to be consumed by invertebrates. Bony runt would probably sink though.

CHB

….and definately not a bag for life.

CountZero

I can see the point of charging for plastic bags. And if it reduces the number full of dogshit tied to hedges all the better. I can’t, however, see the point of charging for paper ones. I mean, they’re already biodegradable, as soon as it rains they start to disintegrate. Seems utterly stupid.

jordie
    Free Member

until Walmart stop giving them out then there is no point over here.I did some shopping in one the other week and for a medium sized shop the checkout lady bagged my shopping into 30 bags!!!!! one kitchen roll was in its own bag so was a single bottle of Pepsi and so on. Wales isn`t really going to make that much difference

epicyclo

zokes – Member
    …An obvious example is that when floating in the ocean, to a turtle, they look pretty much like a jellyfish….

Is that why there are no Welsh turtles now? 🙂

It’s just another tithe to Gaia.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I was so pissed off for so long that a couple of days later, i dropped by on the way home, picked up loads of little packets of stuff from around the shop, went they tried to charge me 5p for the bag, I told them I wouldn’t buy it and so could carry the stuff and walked out.

I like your style 🙂

Kevevs
    Free Member

without having to faff about with the free bags, and a lot more people bringing their own or just chucking back in trolley, I was banging stuff through the till at 22 items per min instead of about the usual 19 yesterday. That’s quite an increase. Makes it easier for me as a checkout chick. The supermarkets don’t have to pay for the production of the free bags anymore as this is taken out of the bag charge. They are laughing!

chrismac

Well that should be a nice little earner for the supermarkets. I bet they cots a fraction of a penny each for them. Is anyone meant to believe that they will count how many they have sold and pass the full amount onto charity?

IF people do stop using the bags then the supermarket will still win as it won’t be buying and transporting them round the world.

donsimon
    Free Member

IF people do stop using the bags then the supermarket will still win as it won’t be buying and transporting them round the world.

And more importantly the environment will win because…..

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘5 pence per carrier bag in Wales from today’ is closed to new replies.