Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • 300g soap bars
  • redmex
    Free Member

Anyone know of any reasonable cost soap bars that last a wee while rather than the Pears stuff that after on shower is the size of the toffee penny from quality st

Must smell good so no carbolic like primary school bog that teachers threatened to wash your mouth out with

davros

Bulldog last well, expensive though for a bar of soap!

csb
    Free Member

Clicked on this expecting something different based on decimalisation of traditional measures.

perchypanther
    Free Member

You knows it. Safe as f…

jameso

Soap Bar.. sitting in a deep sweat thinkin,

I gotta get me some rocky for the weekend..

matt_outandabout

Either TK Max clearance or Waitrose own brand for the value soaps.

slowoldman

Anyone know of any reasonable cost soap bars that last a wee while rather than the Pears stuff that after on shower is the size of the toffee penny

How long do you spend in the shower?

cinnamon_girl

Impressed with Savon de Marseille soap that seemed to last forever.  Both the traditional and olive soap have minimal scent although it’s also available in a variety of scents.  Available in a variety of sizes too.  Don’t need to go to France either, it’s available in the UK online.

LAP13
    Free Member

Faith in Nature

brant
    Free Member

Incredible selection at banana industries. Dave always loved his pine tar soap when we were at Planet X and he doesn’t look to have changed one bit.

Soap

SuperScale20
    Free Member

Is a real thread or created by AI?

ElShalimo

Wright’s coal tar soap

Lasts forever and you smell like your Nan gave you a bath (in 1973)

kormoran
    Free Member

I buy a whole round cake of soap from caunery handmade soap. Nettle soap is awesome, lasts for years and you won’t remember how much you paid for it

Also good on itchy dry skin

trail_rat
    Free Member

Simple brand soap or the orange wrights coal tar soap the latter last for ever as no other bugger will use it….ever.

longdog
    Free Member

I’ll have  to get the wrights coal tar soap as I bought a multi pack of Pears and was sorely disappointed at the lack of coal tarriness 😞

My wife tells me it’s not coal tarry any more as that’s carcinogenic?

I love that smell from childhood. Also love the carbon rubber smell from getting gas at the dentists as a kid, though I’m terrified of dentists 🤣

trail_rat
    Free Member

Isn’t made with coal tar in any form anymore. It’s tea tree oil now.

Outlawed in 2005 which is why you don’t see vosene anymore either…

robertajobb

Who in their right minds could EVER have thought wasing with coal residue would be good for anyone (except the exec of the coal marketting board)

squirrelking
    Free Member

I dunno, why do people brush their teeth with charcoal?

Have you ever seen what soap is actually made of?

Why is coal tar any different?

timber

Faith in Nature bars here.
    Cedar keeps me smelling like trees so I can sneak up on them.

Use it in jute? bags so don’t spend my time chasing it and can hang it to dry rather than sit in a puddle afterwards.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Just on the subject of soap though, does anyone know how to stop the black snot forming in the drains? It’s definitely not bacteria as it doesn’t smell but we get a constant buildup that needs hauled out every so often.

Cougar

Isn’t that what shower gel is for?

I like Pears soap.  The last time I bought some it was only available in packs of 2, which amused me greatly.

ElShalimo

Vosene is still available in Morrisons

So you can smell like 1978 if you want to

dyna-ti

Try to avoid dropping it. Apparently that not a good habit to get into.

easily
    Free Member

While we’re sort of on the subject can anybody recommend a good shampoo bar?

I wanted to move away from unnecessary plastic bottles, so i’ve been buying a bar from Sainsbury’s. I haven’t checked the price for a while, but today I noticed it’s £5 a bar! Actual soap bars range from about 50p to £3 (apart from the posh stuff I don’t even look at), and the sort of shampoo bottles I’d use are maybe 2 or 3 quid.

So does anyone know of somewhere I could get better value?

slowoldman

My dad used to wash his hair with Fairy soap. Not the fancy pants toilet soap nonsense, those big brick shaped blocks that mum used to scrub shirt collars with.

Cougar

I wanted to move away from unnecessary plastic bottles

Is there anywhere local that can do refills?

My dad used to wash his hair with Fairy soap.

There’s a Billy Connolly routine, possibly from An Audience With.  “My grandfather had beautiful hair.  I asked him what he used.  He shouted through to his wife in the kitchen, ‘hey, what’s that stuff I use on my hair, with the wee blue bits in?’  My gran shouted back, ‘Daz.'”

Bazz

Make your own, it really isn’t that difficult and you can decide what it smells like and what’s in it

tall_martin

We got given a huge long block of some green stuff. Maybe 30cm long.

It was tricky to carve a block of without the wee black shattering but it’s kept the whole house in soap for a couple of years.

I think it came from some fancy soap tourist shop in the lakes.

So I’d go big if you are trying to go cheap

Something like this size. 2kg for £25
    Natural Savon de Marseille Bar | 2kg

This banana industries is £3 per 100g. So for 2kg it would be £60

Savonnerie de la Bueges Honey Soap 100g

johnnystorm

@robertajobb

Who in their right minds could EVER have thought wasing with coal residue would be good for anyone

https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/coal-tar/about-coal-tar/

Because, erm, it is?

reeksy

Been using Goat’s milk soap and shampoo bars for years. Seems to last well and no packaging.

johnners
    Free Member

reeksy

Been using Goat’s milk soap and shampoo bars for years. Seems to last well and no packaging.

Sorry, but I’m not taking hygiene advice from someone with your user name!

finbar
    Free Member

I wanted to move away from unnecessary plastic bottles, so i’ve been buying a bar from Sainsbury’s. I haven’t checked the price for a while, but today I noticed it’s £5 a bar! Actual soap bars range from about 50p to £3 (apart from the posh stuff I don’t even look at), and the sort of shampoo bottles I’d use are maybe 2 or 3 quid.

Lush? They do have some nice manly smelling stuff, despite what passing the place on the High Street might lead you to believe.

BillMC

‘Finbar’

User name etc etc

finbar
    Free Member

:D

petrieboy

Came on to say “I smokes Green, and it’s gone in an instant, But Soap Bar lasts, cause it?s ******* consistent”

but the obvious answer is stock up whenever you’re in a French supermarket

where are these uk vendors of Savon de Marseille? Don’t think I’ve ever seen it on the shelves here

cinnamon_girl

This is who I used and this cube lasted months:

https://www.purefrenchsoaps.co.uk/product-page/olive-savon-de-marseille-cube-600g

Also bought this one on a rope:

https://www.purefrenchsoaps.co.uk/product-page/natural-savon-de-marseille-tranche-300g

Honestly, this is the best soap I’ve used and over the years have road-tested many.  It’s also moisturising but without any girlie scent.

Don’t leave it to fester in a soap dish, use a soap saver and hang up to dry.

redmex
    Free Member

That French made  stuff is what I’m looking for, there is the place in Falkirk that makes good stuff but it must be 20% alcohol at the price it is

TheDTs
    Free Member

Tin of Swarfega?

spooky_b329

I used some Ethique bars when I stayed with family, was impressed. Got home, shuddered at the price and tried some cheaper bars.  They either didn’t lather very well or didn’t last very well.

Stumped up for some Ethique bars and not looked back. They do a Tip to Toe one which does hair, body and shave. Beware the exfoliating body bars, they are quite abrasive!

Tip – get a good soap dish. I cut out a spare bit of the plastic lawn mesh (that the grass grows through and you can park on!) as it was long enough to fit several bars on.

Any tips for moulding small bits of soap into a new block…heat it up?

20240528_214849

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.