Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 29er hardtail for a petite girl?
  • sam_underhill

Are big wheels just too big to fit into a frame for short people?
    My wife is thinking about a hartail as her xc-ish replacement. She’s thinking along the lines of a cotic soul, but I can’t help wondering if a 29er is possible. She’s only 5’1″ so it might be a stretch too far?
    Looks like the smallest Santa Cruz chameleon might be in the ball park, so we’ll probably get a demo.
    Any other ideas?

matt_outandabout

Mrs_oab is 5′.

The move from 26″ wheel, 12.5″ Cannondale was odd at first. The old bike was so small and nippy.

Her Trek Superfly was 13.5″ and 27.5 wheels – as you can see, great fit still. Noticeably a touch heavier wheels, higher front end but was a better fit than I expected.

The new Giant Liv Lust is even better fit – lower BB and front end. It’s also got lighter wheels, and that really helps.

(Not our pic, bit gives an idea of how compact this thing is…)

She tried out a Specialized (Jett?) 15″ 29er and it felt ‘odd’ to her, plus had toe overlap…

matt_outandabout

And small frame at 5’1″ probably isn’t small enough imo.
    I’ve a 5’1″ friend who races Tri, and was sold a small Scott Scale – so stretched out, really odd riding position. She tried mrs_oab’s bike around the park and was amazed at the difference a couple of cm makes in size of frame, 5mm-10mm in reach… Imo, the smaller you are, the more a mm or two can make a difference in fit.

sam_underhill

Good points. It’s definitely all about fit. Which is why, for her, she needs to try a bike before buying.
    She tends to fit the 2nd from smallest Trek sizes. I think her slash and outgoing 26” lush are both 15.5 size.
    A well fitting 27.5 bike will probably do everything she needs in a xc bike with trying to force the issue with big wheels.

akira

If sizing is going to be an issue the nothing beats getting a leg over a bike to actually try it. Even if it’s just in a shop, harder to do for the cotic but they have demo days.

trumpton
    Free Member

stick with 27.5. I am not sure if you can even get xs or s 29ers.

kelvin

That Superfly looks great.
    That Lust… oh my!

Anyway, a tiny 29er hardtail is just about doable (although it’s down to you, and test rides, as to whether it’s preferable to 27.5) but when it comes to a full-suss, packaging in the wheels and suspension can get very messy… and I’d suggest quite compromised… not worth the trade offs.

aweeshoe
    Free Member

Definitely try before you buy. I made a rookie mistake buying online, thinking a 27.5 small frame would fit and I can’t stand up without sitting on the top tube, even on my tiptoes. It’s fine when I’m riding, though it does affect my confidence as it hurts when a foot slips

ton

mrs ton in 5ft.

just yesterday we went looking for her a new tourer. she is on a 26” xs troll.
    she ended up ordering a 42cm straggler with 650b wheels. 27.5 would be a good choice i reckon

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I have seen ladies race small or xs 29ers, suggest you try before you buy

kelvin

Oh, as far as Cotic hardtails are concerned… the small Soul is “smaller” than the small SolarisMAX… and, obviously, the Extra Small Soul is smaller still… and the obvious choice, in my opinion.

mick_r

I did a rough count at last year’s nationals, and about 95% of the 12-16 Yr old xc racers are on 29ers so lots of smaller folk manage. Devil is in the detail (which is rarely right on production bikes) such as short flat stems, flat or slight negative rise bars etc.

vincienup
    Free Member

I think the ‘shorter people shouldn’t ride 29ers’ thing is probably out of date as a general rule.

Personal taste/preference obviously comes into it, and while there’s any number of kids on 29ers killing it, maybe they’re just starting without a preconceived notion about how a bike should feel. Give it a try and walk away if you’re not happy with it.

matt_outandabout

^ I agree when the details thing.
    The Giant came as pictured with spacers under the stem and wiiide bar, they’re now swapped for lower and narrower. It’s apparently a lot nicer to use – and more front grip…

Reflecting – I think frame geometry & fit is more important than wheel size. That said, folk riding bikes with negative rise, cut down seatposts etc to cope with 29″ tyres are masking frame geometry issues imo.

If you’re around Dunblane you’re welcome a go of mrs_oabs Giant

sam_underhill

Thanks all. One of her friends has a small soul, which she’s ridden and loves it from a fit and handling perspective. So it’s high on the list.
    I reckon she’ll try a couple of 29ers and conclude the soul is still top of the list.

MrsMugsy
    Free Member

I’m a 1.6 m girl and ride a soul with 27.5′ wheels. It’s a wonderful bike. The wheel size is perfect.
    I also have a rigid Surly Ogre with 29” wheels which I use for long distance bikepacking races and it’s faster when you need to ‘eat’ miles but it’s not as fun and handleable as the soul.
    Go for the soul it will be love, uphill and downhill

steve_b77
    Free Member

`<a href=”https://mbaction.com/meet-the-riders-and-their-rides-emily-batty/”>Miss Batty is 5’3″</a> and rides a dinky Trek Top Fuel 29er FS

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Hmm.

Irrespective of whether you can actually fit a small person on a 29er, they physically have less space to work on leverage against the momentum and gyroscopic effect of bigger wheels. Depending on how they ride, some are going to view that as a stabilising effect on chunder, whilst others who prefer a bit of body English in their riding and going round corners are going to feel the wheels working against them more that a taller person would.

Having been through this exercise with my 5ft son, I’d stick to 27.5 personally.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘29er hardtail for a petite girl?’ is closed to new replies.