Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 20″ Wheeled Folder
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

Got my eye on this Dahon Vigor D9

https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/dahon-vigor-d9/135889521/p?utm_source=google_products&utm_medium=merchant&id_producte=2197665&country=uk&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9NHy0a2A2gIVzZ3tCh26JA2xEAQYAiABEgJVH_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Want it for:

very short ‘getting about comfortably’ in towns and cities (I can cycle ok, but can’t walk very far) and a few longer ~10 milers on road

Folded size isn’t an issue

I’m 6’3″

Anything else I should look at?

Thanks all 🙂

otsdr
    Free Member

If size isn’t an issue, you could go for 24”: http://airnimal.eu/products/joey/sport/

On 20” you also have some Tyrell models (FX, IVE), Moulton TSR. Depends on your budget.

Tern also have both 20 and 24”, but they are pretty much a different way of spelling Dahon.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Thanks otsdr – the Moulton looks super retro/hipster

CraigW
    Free Member

The Moulton is ‘separable’, its not really folding. You can split the frame in half, but its I don’t think it is particularly quick or convenient.

TiRed

Giant halfway is a nice ride and easy fold. Quite light too. Joey leaves a wheel to be carried.

T1000
    Free Member

Recommend looking at Bike Friday

bonesetter
    Free Member

Like the look of the Bike Friday

Are they similar to the brompton though – and I was trying to avoid the 16″ wheels… may have to compromise

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Have had Dahons (Mu and D7), find them somehwat lacking, creaky if alloy, and the handlepost is long and flexy no matter whether the bike is steel or alloy framed.

if fold-size is unimportant how about customising (or buying a customised) a vintage Raleigh Stowaway or Dawes Kingpin

shermer75
    Free Member

Top fact: Dahon is itself a contraction of the inventor’s name, David T. Hon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_T._Hon

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Ah, 6′ 3″?  I’d also take a look at a Tern Node (24″ wheel), bigger bike. Bigger spend 😎

And also the Tern Eclipse (26″ wheel), bigger wheels still, shorter/stiffer handle-post, even bigger spend 😎😎

bonesetter
    Free Member

Thanks M Rider.

I’m liking the look of the Tern Node. Looks a good bike to me and the 24″ wheels make sense. I ride a 29+ MTB and the thought of say a 16″ Brompton just fills me with nervy twitches

deejayen
    Free Member

I come from the world of laid back recumbents, so when I tried a Brompton I thought it was super-stable and handled great!  I’ve read reports that they can seem twitchy, but I suppose it depends on what you’re used to, and in any case you’d adapt to it.  It certainly didn’t feel dangerous.  However, I’m only 6ft tall, and fairly light. On the plus side, the Brompton obviously has that handy fold.  I’ve got an old Moulton, and that rides quite nicely. My one might need a service, but it’s worth noting that the front suspension doesn’t eliminate the buzz from broken road surfaces (I’m using high pressure Kojaks), but the suspension is great over bumps. The newer Moulton TSR seemed fantastic (very short test ride a few years ago).    Likewise, the Birdy, although the one I rode had a bad twitch when riding out of the saddle.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

No probs.  Wouldn’t totally write off a Brompton, think you can hire them for a day, or demo.  In fact demo whatever.  Better happy than sorry down the line, and quality folding bikes are highly individual and tend towards expensive.  Couple this with the ride-compromised nature of the beasts – I’d want to at least hop on and try, or, better still, live with one for a day or two before deciding.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I had a Kansi 3 Twenty for my commuter, excellent value and 3 speeds is both tidy and sufficient for general town riding.

They can accept racks and mudguards.

otsdr
    Free Member

I own a Brompton myself and was wondering about the 20” limit; at your height, anything less than a 29er will look disproportionate, so you might as well not care :). Bromptons and Bike Fridays are worth a serious look.

Dahon always looked second class to me; the fact that they brazenly copied a classic British design then openly mocked them in the Kickstarter campaign didn’t help either. Tern kind of ends up in the same category by association (founded by the wife and son of David T. Hon).

T1000
    Free Member

Bike Friday do 20 and other sizes

they are probably the best bike that folds, whilst Brompton are the best folding bike

bonesetter
    Free Member

Bike Friday seems very difficult to source, and is pricey

I’m still set on the 20″ dia wheels

Leaning toward a Dahon

LBS sell Giant Halfway’s for £450…

winston
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mezzo-Folding-Bike-D10/192473790312?hash=item2cd054f768:g:Jo4AAOSwXfdanSkG

Much faster than a Brompton with an even quicker fold but not quite as small. I bought it when I was commuting into London and used to get off 3 stations away from home in the summer for an extra 20 miles. Not sure if they are still around but that ebay example looks good. Mine was £950 new but I bought it on bike to work scheme.

deejayen
    Free Member

Another one which is worth a look is the Xootr Swift.  I’ve not ridden one, but I think it’s a fast ride, and it has a useful fold (if you’re not looking for a compact first fold). It’s light, and uses a lot of standard components. Its main downside is a lack of suspension.  I think there’s still a place in the States making the original steel version, and a few enthusiasts had a factory in the Far East make a titanium version.  However, the Xootr version is probably a good place to start.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Just bought a Kansi 3Twenty c/w rear rack and mud guards for £200 (the bay). Looks a minter

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162954892033?_trksid=p3692.m570.l6345&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI162954892033.N101.S1.R1.TR3&autorefresh=true

Thanks for the help all

BTW Malvern Rider – how long do you reckon it is since our ride over the Malverns?

Moses

If you don’t really need the folding aspect of a 20″, have a look at the Orbea Katu range

* If anyone has much experience of using one of these – do tell*

spursn17
    Free Member

I recently got a Go Outdoors Compass Fast Forward

http://m.gooutdoors.co.uk/compass-fast-forward-folding-bike-p400020

20″ wheels (quick release) and Tiagra gears, got it for £270 as they’re up for giving a 10% discount.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Here are some pics of the bike

I reckon it’s a very well made and designed machine. The hinges are very clever, all in one, literally release and it starts to fold. There’s just the two hinges and the seatpost to drop and that’s it. Takes 10 seconds to fold/unfold

No creaking of flex, even standing

Smallish 90 psi tyres are what they are, but the bike does exactly what I hoped it would. I did fondle a Claude Butler (Nimbus) the other day and it was a shocker of a poorly made and quality bike

Kansi 3Twenty folding bike

Kansi 3twenty folding bike main hingekansi 3twenty folding bikekansi folding bikeKansi 3Twenty folding bike handlebar hinge

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘20″ Wheeled Folder’ is closed to new replies.